Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > USA
Reload this Page >

Current US passport wait? (Merged Threads)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 1, 2022, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CKDGM
Passport Agency Appointments (same day expedited service)
Appointments for same-day expedited service often go quickly. It is best that you schedule your appointment with the passport agency exactly 14 days before your trip. You will want to call the passport number before the center opens at 8am EST as they will have just opened up one day (14 days out) of appointments at all agencies. Appointment times start at 8am. It is important that you have enough buffer in your travel schedule. For example, if you make an appointment for a new passport at 11am and your time of travel is at 2pm, there will not be enough time for you to get your passport. If you book the 8am slot you may have to wait until the end of the business day to get your new passport or it may only be a few hours.

You will want to have your date of travel, time of travel, your flight itinerary number, name of destination, full name of applicant, and applicant's birth city, and the zip code of where you live (to help them find the closest available center with open slots). Use the following steps to increase your chances of success to booking an appointment as they can go very quickly:
  1. 14 days before your trip, you need to schedule an appointment with the passport agency.
  2. At 7:55 am call the passport number 877-487-2778 (This have to be exactly 14 days before your plane ticket or less. If less, it will get harder to find an appointment)
  3. Click 1 (For English)
  4. Click 2 (New Passport)
  5. Continue to Click 7 to repeat, and keep doing this while watching your watch or using Time.gov to get the exact time down to the second.
  6. When your it hits exactly 8:00 am Click 2 (for traveling within 14 days option)
  7. There will be a delay of 3-4 second and you will wait for the next available agent. If you are very lucky, you will be put straight through to an agent. You may be waiting few minutes or maybe as long as 15-20 minutes.
  8. If you did not click 1 exactly at 8 am, you may have to wait for more than an hour and half
After the appointment slot has been reserved you will be provided with a unique identifier code and reservation number. These details will also be emailed to you.

Credit: chgoeditor

Known office locator numbers (not complete)
Note: The office code (first two digits of your application locator number returned by Passport Status) is the office reviewing your documents and approving your application. It isn't necessarily the address you mailed the forms to (always Irving or Philadelphia for renewals) nor the facility where the book is physically printed and mailed (often Tucson or Hot Springs).

10: Boston
11: NYC
12: Honolulu
14: Stamford, CT
15: Portsmouth, NH
17: Aurora, CO
18: Chicago
19: Washington, DC
20-29: Portsmouth, NH
34-39: Charleston
40-42: New Orleans, LA
45: Portsmouth, NH
50: Los Angeles, CA
51: Miami
53: Seattle
54: Minneapolis
55: Dallas
56: Detroit
57: San Francisco
58: Philadelphia, PA
61-64: Tucson
65: Hot Springs, AR
67: San Juan, PR
68: Portsmouth, NH
69: Portsmouth, NH
71: US embassies/consulates abroad (possibly Portsmouth, NH)
74: Atlanta
75: St Albans, VT
76: San Diego, CA
77: Buffalo, NY
78: El Paso, TX
79: Houston, TX
80: Special Issuance Agency ("Issues diplomatic, official, service, and no-fee regular passports, and facilitates visa processing for those traveling on behalf of the U.S. government.")
95: Online

A list of agencies and their locator numbers is listed on this page under the heading, "List of passport agencies and centers with locator numbers."

H/T Nayef, txviking, and various individual posts both here and on Reddit. If you have a locator not in the above list, check the return address agency name or postmark/ZIP on your returned citizenship docs, or passport card if you applied for one, which may be the processing office, although the address itself is likely to be a PO Box in Sterling, VA in all cases (which appears to be a lockbox location that processes mail for all locations). The passport books are printed in fewer locations, often Hot Springs and Tucson, and may not correspond to the agency where the processing steps occurred. If it doesn’t match the list above, please add or correct.
Print Wikipost

Current US passport wait? (Merged Threads)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2020, 10:59 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by hfly
Again I would very STRONGLY suggest to anyone that has a passport expiring in December 2020 or January 2021 like Uncle Nonny above NOT to send in one's passport right now (or over the last several months), better to wait until things get a bit more back to normal.
That is likely to cause an even longer delay, as applications are processed in the order that they are received. New applications will not be processed until the backlog is cleared. That may take up to two months.

In The New York Times today:

How the Pandemic Has Affected Passports, Global Entry, T.S.A. PreCheck and More
Can I apply for or renew a U.S. passport now?

A backlog of 1.7 million passports has piled up since the State Department shut down most of its consular services to protect its workers on March 19, officials confirmed last week.

Fourteen passport processing centers have reopened for limited service as of Monday, June 15. Pending applications will be addressed on a first in, first out basis, beginning with the oldest applications received — some going back as far as February.

Officials have said they hope to process about 200,000 applications each week, but that it could take up to eight weeks — before even starting on the new applications — to cut through the backlog.

That means if you’re applying for a passport now, you should expect delays of at least two months, if not three or more.
Old Jun 21, 2020, 12:43 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, BAEC Silver, Marriott Platinum, HH Gold
I would like to apply for my daughter’s first passport (born May 2020) so as to be able to travel with her hopefully in October 2020.

As this would be technically a brand new passport application, as opposed to renewal, any chance that this type of applications for a first passport may be processed quicker than renewals of passports expiring say early 2021?

Anyone in the same boat by any chance?
Old Jun 21, 2020, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

TWA884 - The backlog is what currently, 3 months? Maybe will be 4? I guarantee that those who put their applications in over the last 3 months will see at least that backlog as well as those who put them in now and for the next month or two. However I also envision that those putting in applications in September/October are not going to see any significant backlog. So again if my passport were expiring in December of January or later. especially in the current situation I would just wait it out. OTOH, for the life of me I would never ever do an application through the mail at the best of times, if in the US, I would just go and get it done same day within14 days of a trip, or just do it from abroad where in my experience it has ALWAYS taken less than 2 weeks, often less than a week.
Old Jun 21, 2020, 1:28 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by hfly
TWA884 - The backlog is what currently, 3 months? Maybe will be 4? I guarantee that those who put their applications in over the last 3 months will see at least that backlog as well as those who put them in now and for the next month or two. However I also envision that those putting in applications in September/October are not going to see any significant backlog. So again if my passport were expiring in December of January or later. especially in the current situation I would just wait it out. OTOH, for the life of me I would never ever do an application through the mail at the best of times, if in the US, I would just go and get it done same day within14 days of a trip, or just do it from abroad where in my experience it has ALWAYS taken less than 2 weeks, often less than a week.
According to the article which I linked above, it is estimated that it will take eight weeks to clear the current backlog.

FWIIW, except for the time which I applied for my very first US passport, which had to be done in person, and one time, when my daughter's and mine both expired at about the same time and she was still a child it was required to apply for her new passport in person, I have always applied for new passports by mail. I have never experienced a problem, the turnaround time was almost never longer than a couple of weeks. I do use Priority Mail with tracking and delivery confirmation to send in the application and the expiring passport, though, so that I can keep track of them.
Old Jun 21, 2020, 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by myperks
Submitted a passport renewal for a family member with passport expiring dec 2020. Delivered on Wednesday June 10th, check cashed on Monday June 15th, and no status update in the system as of today. Hoping to get it back by end of August.
Sometime between the 17th when I posted and today, the status checker online now shows: in process. Not to say it will be any faster, but at least between the time they received the application, they cashed the check and recorded it into the system, all within 10 days. Still hopeful by end of August if not earlier. First “planned” trip first week of October.
Old Jun 21, 2020, 5:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I guess that it is just one of those things, those who regularly need their passport (meaning for example travel internationally let's say once or more per month) would never do a postal application as it is too variable - forget Covid, just read back on this and other threads about how there have been many times when mail-ins go wrong, and would regularly do what I suggest, do it in person at a center when one has less than 2 weeks before a trip, or do it abroad. OTOH many such people already have second passports which they can checkerboard against the first passport dates to ensure that they are never short.

BTW you are essentially looking not only at the backlog, but also additional "regular" traffic which unfortunately also tends to increase in the months and years after the turn of the decade? Why? 9/11 of course. As you may recall, it was after 9/11 that rules started to change obliging US citizens to have passports to travel everywhere, as you may recall prior to 9/11, US citizens could visit neighboring countries and most of the Caribbean WITHOUT a valid passport, this all started to be phased out after 9/11, and ultimately resulted in the amount of valid passports held by US citizens to eventually DOUBLE in numbers over the next decade (Europeans used to love quoting that "onl7 27% of Americans had passports" implying of course that no one traveled outside the US, when informed that US citizens - back then - could visit over 30 countries without a passport, they would grow quiet. Anyhow, while we are not at a "threshold" year yet, we will be soon, and people with a year or 2 left on their passports will start to renew them in the same vein as these posters in the middle of this trying to renew passports with 8 or 9 months on them.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2020, 2:16 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Some new passport applications have been processed and resulted in passports being issued even before the backlog has been cleared, despite whatever a USG website says.

The passport application backlogs won’t necessarily be run down entirely for quite some time this year, even within the next 8 weeks; nor will the backlog be necessarily reducing for each and every day/week change. It’s not going to be a perfectly smooth linear decline.

At some point again this year, passport applicants in the US will again have the option to pay for expedited service. If you can wait until September/October for in-person application and go for paid expedited service or apply outside of the US to get free expedited service, then that is what I would suggest doing.

I am with hfly’s suggestion to try to avoid submitting passport applications in the US via mail at this point if you can help it — and try to avoid it even more so if you don’t have enough documents retained to make an emergency/expedited application later this year if an application submitted now/earlier gets bungled.

Tracking numbers on mail/packages for passport applicants don’t always work (or get used) perfectly even in more normal times for US passport applicants, and nowadays process failures related to applications are likely to be substantially higher than typical including with regard to mail/courier and tracking numbers for such.

The backlog has been growing in parts even while there has been phased-in “openings”. And on top of the usual demand and that related to the 9/11+WHTI driven demand, there is also the on-year election-related demand for US passports.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jun 22, 2020 at 2:33 am
Old Jun 22, 2020, 6:55 am

Programs: It's Complicated...
I went ahead and mailed mine in. It is expired at this point so no loss. If the agencies open up for non emergency processing and I want to go somewhere I will just apply again in person and have two.
Old Jun 22, 2020, 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by MSerforfun
Wooohooo

I got an email late Friday saying that my passport is on its way. I have USPS Informed Delivery which shows something coming from Passport Services. My passport was sent to them back in mid February to Irving but it says it's coming from Tuscon, AZ.
Just out of curiosity, but has the website updated your status as well?

We sent ours in February also. They received February 24th. So we are hoping this means ours should update any day now (depending on what office has ours).
Old Jun 22, 2020, 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by SuperTrooper00
Just out of curiosity, but has the website updated your status as well?

We sent ours in February also. They received February 24th. So we are hoping this means ours should update any day now (depending on what office has ours).
I just checked it and yes, it does now say "Approved"
Old Jun 23, 2020, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by MSerforfun
I just checked it and yes, it does now say "Approved"
Thank you. We will keep checking the website daily then!
Old Jun 24, 2020, 7:59 pm

just wanted to let everybody know details on our case:

applied in Chicago suburbs on Feb 26th for our son to renew his passport
Documents received on March 3rd

Today I finally got this email:
Application Status: Approved

The U.S. Department of State approved your application for your passport book. We're now printing your passport book and preparing to give it to you.

You requested routine service when you applied, which we are currently processing in 6-8 weeks. You should receive your passport book on or around 06/30/2020.

Your application locator number is 0000000.

If you are traveling within two weeks and have not received your passport, please contact the National Passport Information Center at 1-877-487-2778 (or TDD/TTY 1-888-874-7793) with your application locator number.
We almost lost the hope to get it back!!
vvv1234 likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2020, 8:08 pm

still waiting

so annoyed waiting since March sent to PA from AZ
Old Jun 24, 2020, 8:30 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mudley
so annoyed waiting since March sent to PA from AZ
I just got a shipping notification today for renewal they received on Feb 26th. They seem to be still working through February.
Old Jun 24, 2020, 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by Sheila91
02/19/2020 - Passport renewal application received (Philadelphia / Standard)
02/21/2020 - Check cashed
02/22/2020 - Passport application 'In Process' via website
04/30/2020 - I called and was told the application is still 'In Process'
05/20/2020 - Passport application 'In Process' via website
05/28/2020 - Passport application 'Not Found' via website
06/01/2020 - I called and was told 2 different things by the same CSR who refused to check my status.

Has anyone spoken to a CSR who got the same 'I won't check your status"?
Has anyone had their status changed to 'In Process' to 'Not Found' and actually had a good result?

TIA
06/24/2020 Received passport today

Door to door took over 4 months
vvv1234 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.