Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > USA
Reload this Page >

Current US passport wait? (Merged Threads)

Current US passport wait? (Merged Threads)

Old Mar 19, 20, 4:48 pm

*(copied and pasted most of the announcement here because State.gov website has been hard to get into today, probably due to hundreds of thousands of people trying to figure out the status of the passports)

-----------------------

https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...-covid-19.html

Change in Passport Services Operations

Due to public health measures to limit the spread of COVID-19, effective March 20, 2020, we are only able to offer service for customers with a qualified life-or-death emergency and who need a passport for immediate international travel within 72 hours.

Life-or-death emergencies are serious illnesses, injuries, or deaths in your immediate family (e.g. parent, child, spouse, sibling, aunt, uncle, etc) that require you to travel outside the United States within 72 hours (3 days). You must provide:
  • A passport application with supporting documents
  • Proof of the life-or-death emergency such as a death certificate, a statement from a mortuary, or a signed letter from a hospital or medical professional. Documents must be translated or in English.
  • Proof of international travel (e.g. reservation, ticket, itinerary)
Old Mar 24, 20, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Final update:

​​​​​​2/8/2020: Mailed renewal via Priority Mail (not express)
2/12/2020: Delivery to Processing Center in Irving, TX
2/14/2020: Check cashed
2/14/2020: Website shows application as received 2/13/2020 and processing
3/23/2020: Status updated to Approved
3/24/2020: Shipped with tracking number provided
3/26/2020: Arrived at residence via Priority Mail, old passport not returned quite yet (coming separately of course)

Last edited by TheBOSman; Mar 26, 20 at 4:50 pm
Old Mar 30, 20, 10:00 am

Sent passport a while back

i sent my passport and my son's passport in mid February. My son's was processed at USPS and I sent mine independently of his. I see from the timelines posted above that most who sent theirs in early February or late January using the normal processing service have received their renewed passports. Mine and my son's are still pending.

I know we can't travel but I do not like the fact that they will hold on to the passports for who knows for how long. Anyone sent theirs in February using normal processing and received an update on their application?
Old Mar 30, 20, 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by MSerforfun View Post
i sent my passport and my son's passport in mid February. My son's was processed at USPS and I sent mine independently of his. I see from the timelines posted above that most who sent theirs in early February or late January using the normal processing service have received their renewed passports. Mine and my son's are still pending.

I know we can't travel but I do not like the fact that they will hold on to the passports for who knows for how long. Anyone sent theirs in February using normal processing and received an update on their application?
have you tried calling them? I called them last week and they still had agents answering the phones.
Old Mar 30, 20, 10:53 pm

Programs: HH Gold, CC Gold
​​​​​​2/12/2020: Mailed renewal via Priority Mail (not express)
2/14/2020: Delivery to Processing Center in Irving, TX
2/19/2020: Check cashed
3/27/2020: Email showing status to Approved (est 4/4 passport arrival)
3/28/2020: Email showing Renewal received on 2/18

3/28/2020: Shipped From AZ with tracking number from USPS Informed delivery email
3/30/2020: New passport received via Priority Mail, waiting for old passport
Old Mar 31, 20, 8:08 am

Programs: Delta DM
Originally Posted by pollypocket53132 View Post
Is coronavirus delaying passport processing?
Not in my case, fastest renewal I've ever had (routine service):

​​​​​​3/18/2020: Mailed renewal package via Priority Mail
3/20/2020: Delivery to Processing Center in Philadelphia
3/24/2020: Check cashed
3/26/2020: Website shows application as processing (currently processing in 6-8 weeks)
3/28/2020: Status changed to "approved" and e-mail sent stating passport shipped with tracking #. Expected delivery on or around 4/4/2020
3/31/2020: Received passport

So a total of 13 days from dropping this off at the PO until receipt of the new passport.
Old Mar 31, 20, 8:41 am

Originally Posted by Billy Mumphrey View Post
Not in my case, fastest renewal I've ever had (routine service):

​​​​​​3/18/2020: Mailed renewal package via Priority Mail
3/20/2020: Delivery to Processing Center in Philadelphia
3/24/2020: Check cashed
3/26/2020: Website shows application as processing (currently processing in 6-8 weeks)
3/28/2020: Status changed to "approved" and e-mail sent stating passport shipped with tracking #. Expected delivery on or around 4/4/2020
3/31/2020: Received passport

So a total of 13 days from dropping this off at the PO until receipt of the new passport.
wait a second.... my renewal was received by the same Philly processing center on 3/19. one day earlier than yours...

where is my passport!!!???
Old Mar 31, 20, 9:37 am

Programs: Delta DM
Originally Posted by Vangrovsky View Post
wait a second.... my renewal was received by the same Philly processing center on 3/19. one day earlier than yours...

You'll probably get yours soon. But, why does it even matter? We can't use our passports right now.
Old Mar 31, 20, 9:43 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Vangrovsky View Post

Mine was received on 2/25 and still pending. Seems like they are not processed in order.
Old Yesterday, 3:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Mail-in passport renewal applications to US embassies/consulates in the Schengen area were resulting in the passports getting back to applicants within about two weeks during March. That’s marginally worse than before in parts but very good for the circumstances, with the bulk of the slow-down in these parts being the mail-side at times.

Last edited by GUWonder; Yesterday at 8:00 pm
Old Yesterday, 6:35 pm

I'm not sure what to do in my situation.

I have travel currently scheduled for July 1 and my passport expires in July 27. I understand that there are no renewals now due to Covid. Should I still submit my renewal to "get in line" or should I wait until they open up and submit it then? Thanks.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: