Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > USA
Reload this Page >

Current US passport wait? (Merged Threads)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 1, 2022, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CKDGM
Passport Agency Appointments (same day expedited service)
Appointments for same-day expedited service often go quickly. It is best that you schedule your appointment with the passport agency exactly 14 days before your trip. You will want to call the passport number before the center opens at 8am EST as they will have just opened up one day (14 days out) of appointments at all agencies. Appointment times start at 8am. It is important that you have enough buffer in your travel schedule. For example, if you make an appointment for a new passport at 11am and your time of travel is at 2pm, there will not be enough time for you to get your passport. If you book the 8am slot you may have to wait until the end of the business day to get your new passport or it may only be a few hours.

You will want to have your date of travel, time of travel, your flight itinerary number, name of destination, full name of applicant, and applicant's birth city, and the zip code of where you live (to help them find the closest available center with open slots). Use the following steps to increase your chances of success to booking an appointment as they can go very quickly:
  1. 14 days before your trip, you need to schedule an appointment with the passport agency.
  2. At 7:55 am call the passport number 877-487-2778 (This have to be exactly 14 days before your plane ticket or less. If less, it will get harder to find an appointment)
  3. Click 1 (For English)
  4. Click 2 (New Passport)
  5. Continue to Click 7 to repeat, and keep doing this while watching your watch or using Time.gov to get the exact time down to the second.
  6. When your it hits exactly 8:00 am Click 2 (for traveling within 14 days option)
  7. There will be a delay of 3-4 second and you will wait for the next available agent. If you are very lucky, you will be put straight through to an agent. You may be waiting few minutes or maybe as long as 15-20 minutes.
  8. If you did not click 1 exactly at 8 am, you may have to wait for more than an hour and half
After the appointment slot has been reserved you will be provided with a unique identifier code and reservation number. These details will also be emailed to you.

Credit: chgoeditor

Known office locator numbers (not complete)
Note: The office code (first two digits of your application locator number returned by Passport Status) is the office reviewing your documents and approving your application. It isn't necessarily the address you mailed the forms to (always Irving or Philadelphia for renewals) nor the facility where the book is physically printed and mailed (often Tucson or Hot Springs).

10: Boston
11: NYC
12: Honolulu
14: Stamford, CT
15: Portsmouth, NH
17: Aurora, CO
18: Chicago
19: Washington, DC
20-29: Portsmouth, NH
34-39: Charleston
40-42: New Orleans, LA
45: Portsmouth, NH
50: Los Angeles, CA
51: Miami
53: Seattle
54: Minneapolis
55: Dallas
56: Detroit
57: San Francisco
58: Philadelphia, PA
61-64: Tucson
65: Hot Springs, AR
67: San Juan, PR
68: Portsmouth, NH
69: Portsmouth, NH
71: US embassies/consulates abroad (possibly Portsmouth, NH)
74: Atlanta
75: St Albans, VT
76: San Diego, CA
77: Buffalo, NY
78: El Paso, TX
79: Houston, TX
80: Special Issuance Agency ("Issues diplomatic, official, service, and no-fee regular passports, and facilitates visa processing for those traveling on behalf of the U.S. government.")
95: Online

A list of agencies and their locator numbers is listed on this page under the heading, "List of passport agencies and centers with locator numbers."

H/T Nayef, txviking, and various individual posts both here and on Reddit. If you have a locator not in the above list, check the return address agency name or postmark/ZIP on your returned citizenship docs, or passport card if you applied for one, which may be the processing office, although the address itself is likely to be a PO Box in Sterling, VA in all cases (which appears to be a lockbox location that processes mail for all locations). The passport books are printed in fewer locations, often Hot Springs and Tucson, and may not correspond to the agency where the processing steps occurred. If it doesn’t match the list above, please add or correct.
Print Wikipost

Current US passport wait? (Merged Threads)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2019, 2:11 pm

June 8th applied in person at Robbinsdale, MN with spouse for 2 minor children's passport book renewals with routine service. Included non-expired passport books with paperwork. Flights are booked for 7/31.
June 14th checks cashed.
June 19th noticed they had locator numbers and status is "processing".
June 28th received an email stating passports are processing.
July 1st received an email stating "We have finished processing your passport, and it has been printed. You requested delivery by regular mail. Passport Agencies use Priority Mail. This means you should receive your passport on or about 07/07/2019."
July 3rd both passports arrive by U.S. mail. Entire process with routine service took 3.5 weeks, 18 business days.

Last edited by marhop; Jul 7, 2019 at 7:33 pm Reason: Update on passport timing.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 7:15 pm

June 13 Applied at local clerk office in person with routine service for renewal of kids passports.
June 18 Got email with locator numbers
June 19 checks cached

Have travel on July 21 . Will wait until July 05 , if still no updates . will call up and expedite
Old Jun 28, 2019, 9:13 am

May 20 - mailed renewal application to PA, regular processing (online estimates showing 4-6 weeks processing time). Travel booked for July 5.
May 22 - application arrived at facility
May 24 - check processed
May 25 - received email with locator number
June 17 - called to ask for update. Told that processing times are taking 6-8 weeks and received recommendation to expedite. Paid extra $76 to expedite processing and for overnight shipping.
June 20 - checked online status using locator number. Still showing "routine service" and credit card had yet to be charged the expedited fee. Called again. Was told that expedited status can take up to 8 days to show up in the system. Was told that they were aware of my travel on 7/5 but earliest they could do anything else would be at 8 am ET on 7/2. If I had not received my passport, I could call again and my application could be put to the front of the line due to "urgent travel."
June 26 - received email stating that passport had finished processing, was being printed, and passport would be delivered on or before 6/29.
June 27 - received passport in mail.

Long story short, I thought routine service would be fine given that when I applied in May it was showing 4-6 weeks processing time online. That update online subsequently changed (as confirmed on this message board as well as reps on the phone). Perhaps processing times vary based on where you are required to send your request, but on the East Coast, I think it's legit taking 6-8 weeks. Expedite as necessary to avoid additional stress.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 12:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Meanwhile, expedited (renewal) application for passport for minor - 6/14. Received 6/29 (notification of shipping on 6/27 with 7/2 expected arrival).
Old Jul 1, 2019, 8:10 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by DCFlyer202
May 20 - mailed renewal application to PA, regular processing (online estimates showing 4-6 weeks processing time). Travel booked for July 5.
May 22 - application arrived at facility
May 24 - check processed
May 25 - received email with locator number
June 17 - called to ask for update. Told that processing times are taking 6-8 weeks and received recommendation to expedite. Paid extra $76 to expedite processing and for overnight shipping.
June 20 - checked online status using locator number. Still showing "routine service" and credit card had yet to be charged the expedited fee. Called again. Was told that expedited status can take up to 8 days to show up in the system. Was told that they were aware of my travel on 7/5 but earliest they could do anything else would be at 8 am ET on 7/2. If I had not received my passport, I could call again and my application could be put to the front of the line due to "urgent travel."
June 26 - received email stating that passport had finished processing, was being printed, and passport would be delivered on or before 6/29.
June 27 - received passport in mail.

Long story short, I thought routine service would be fine given that when I applied in May it was showing 4-6 weeks processing time online. That update online subsequently changed (as confirmed on this message board as well as reps on the phone). Perhaps processing times vary based on where you are required to send your request, but on the East Coast, I think it's legit taking 6-8 weeks. Expedite as necessary to avoid additional stress.
Until the end of May, it was listed as and generally taking no more than 4-6 weeks. June 1st changes were made that then reflected 6-8 weeks.

Why do you think the revised time frame making it 6-8 weeks is “legit” now despite 4-6 weeks having been “legit” for years and years and years, even when passport applicant demand was within the range it still is in?

The Administration could expedite things back to 4-6 weeks for the routine processing if it wished.

This change doesn’t impact me from a fee perspective — at least not anytime soon — as I generally get my passports on an expedited basis, whether or not I have to pay for it. But it negatively impacts others.

What are the “legit” reasons justifying the major increase in processing time when applying on a non-expedited-fee basis? People should complain to their elected federal official and hit up the switch boards of the elected officials about having to pay the same or more and getting worse service for it.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jul 1, 2019 at 8:22 pm
Old Jul 1, 2019, 10:17 pm

06/10 - Applied kids' passports in person in Seattle

Just checked today, the check is NOT even cashed! Does it mean the processing not started at all (or even worse maybe the whole packet is still not transitioned to right department?)
Have travel booked 08/03 however need 2 weeks for visa. How should we expedite?

Last edited by seaplu; Jul 1, 2019 at 10:24 pm
Old Jul 1, 2019, 10:29 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by seaplu
06/10 - Applied kids' passports in person in Seattle

Just checked today, the check is NOT even cashed! Does it mean the processing not started at all (or even worse maybe the whole packet is still not transitioned to right department?)
Have travel booked 08/03 however need 2 weeks for visa. How should we expedite?
Call up and ask to see how they can help you to expedite it by paying the expedite fees.

1-877-487-2778, and pay over the phone with credit card.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 8:47 am

Thanks for the suggestion! It turned out that the checks were already cleared, somehow they are shown as "DIRECT DEBIT PASSPORTSERVIC..." in my bank statement so overlooked it. I did got new passports yesterday. Below is the timeline.
  • 06/10 Applied in Seattle
  • 06/18 Checks cleared
  • 07/09 Email update of "We have finished processing your passport, and it has been printed."
  • 07/10 Email update of priority mail delivery
  • 07/12 passports received.
We realized that in order to apply visa (to another country), the info on old visa on old passports are also needed. So we need the old passports actually (lesson learned: always take a photo of passport/visa pages for old passports).

Usually how soon will old passport be received after the new one?
Old Jul 13, 2019, 9:29 pm

June 1st - Mailed application with routine processing and old passport via USPS Priority Mail
June 3rd - Application received
June 5th - Check cashed & am able to monitor status online
July 1st - Received e-mail application is processing
July 2nd - Received e-mail application is finished processing and passport has been printed
July 6th - Received passport, as of July 13th I haven't received my old passport yet
Old Jul 16, 2019, 8:55 am

Originally Posted by spad
June 13 Applied at local clerk office in person with routine service for renewal of kids passports.
June 18 Got email with locator numbers
June 19 checks cached

Have travel on July 21 . Will wait until July 05 , if still no updates . will call up and expedite
Do you have any update on this?
Old Jul 16, 2019, 10:08 am

I'm more than a little bit nervous at this point, but I was speaking to a friend of mine who works for a Congressman and they said to wait until a week before calling to expedite. We leave July 29th for our honeymoon. Mine is a simple name change, with no fees associated so I do not have any checks to see if they are cashed. We both did routine service.

My name change:
June 16th: mailed application
June 19th: application delivered
June 20 got email with locator number

My husbands renewal:
June 20: applied at USPS office
June 22: application delivered
June 24th: money order cashed
June 25th: got email with locator number

Last edited by brittanyandrea; Jul 16, 2019 at 11:09 am
Old Jul 16, 2019, 11:17 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by seaplu

Usually how soon will old passport be received after the new one?
My daughter's new passport (last month) came with the old one in the same envelope.

For my past renewals it has come within a couple of days.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 6:31 pm

July 11 - Called up to see whats going on and told rep that i have travel coming up in 10 days . Rep says current processing times are taking long time . So i had to expedite and also requested to put a note about my travel plans . Payed via credit card.
July 15 - credit charged and status updated with passport being printed
July 17 - Printed and got tracking number
July 18 - passports got delivered.

Always had our passports got renewed under 3 weeks with routine processing .But this time , even after 4 weeks no status change.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 6:35 pm

Had to expedite passport renewal . posted timelines below .
Old Jul 29, 2019, 12:07 pm

Data for non-expired standard renewal:
July 10 - Mailed from local Post Office
July 11 - Delivered to Philadelphia Processing Center
July 15 - Check cashed
July 29 - New passport received
GUWonder and pollypocket53132 like this.

Last edited by decoybob; Jul 29, 2019 at 12:59 pm Reason: Specifying this was non-expedited

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.