Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > USA
Reload this Page >

Current US passport wait? (Merged Threads)

Current US passport wait? (Merged Threads)

Old Mar 13, 19, 1:48 pm

20 days not expedited and 14 days expedited is fast for this time of year. Here in California motor vehicle appointments for Real ID's are 3 weeks or so out... easier and quicker to get a passport.

Have you called the Passport info line (1-877-487-2778) to find out if you can pay to have your app expedited and add 1-2 day shipping? You may also want to find out if you can go to a passport agency to apply if you don't get it before early April. May end up having to repay fees though not fun but better than having it effect your trip. I paid Expedited Processing $60.00 and 1-2 Day Delivery $16.48 if you look at my post above it's about a 2 week return time (assuming it arrives on time with no errors).Less than 2-3 weeks.
Old Mar 13, 19, 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by dylanmitchell View Post
20 days not expedited and 14 days expedited is fast for this time of year. Here in California motor vehicle appointments for Real ID's are 3 weeks or so out... easier and quicker to get a passport.

Have you called the Passport info line (1-877-487-2778) to find out if you can pay to have your app expedited and add 1-2 day shipping? You may also want to find out if you can go to a passport agency to apply if you don't get it before early April. May end up having to repay fees though not fun but better than having it effect your trip. I paid Expedited Processing $60.00 and 1-2 Day Delivery $16.48 if you look at my post above it's about a 2 week return time (assuming it arrives on time with no errors).Less than 2-3 weeks.
It just got delivered today to the PO Box for the Philly passport center. I still have 4 weeks before I need the passport back. I was going to call them once it's in the system about status and if I should expedite it.

Thanks for the advice.
dylanmitchell likes this.

Last edited by InfrequentFlyer2; Mar 13, 19 at 8:39 pm
Old Mar 14, 19, 4:15 pm

Feb 14: Mailed old passport to Irving, TX from San Francisco, CA USPS First Class
Feb 18: USPS tracking info showed package delivered
Feb 19: passportstatus.state.gov showed passport in processing (Routine Service)
Mar 12: Received email saying new passport printed along with USPS tracking number (from Hot Springs National Park)
Mar 14: USPS delivered new passport

Still waiting to get my old passport back since it has some visas in it.
Old Mar 15, 19, 12:16 pm

just wanted to share my passport renewal timelines (non-expedited)

2/25 - mailed to irving TX (non-expedited) via priority mail
2/28 - check cleared
3/1 - status online says it's being processed with locator number.
3/13 @ 8:04pm - received email that my passport has been printed and that I'll receive it on or before 3/19
3/15 - received new passport . still waiting for the old passport

good luck everybody

Old passport was supposed to expire on 11/2019.
Plan trip on 12/2019 which I mentioned in the app
Old Mar 15, 19, 12:19 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Feb 16: mailed passport first class.
Feb 21: online status shows passport received at center and processing.
March 13, 1:01 AM: "We have finished processing your passport, and it has been printed."
March 13, 2:47 AM: "Your tracking number is nnnnn and the expected date of delivery is 03/18/2019."
March 15: new passport arrived in mailbox.

Turnaround time: 27 days.
InfrequentFlyer2 likes this.
Old Mar 15, 19, 1:10 pm

Smile 29 days door to door

02/14 Mailed in routine application to PA from MO, old passport was already expired by a week, standard mail--money order, applying for 52 page passport book, put my travel date of departure on app
2/17 Package delivered per tracking
2/18 Signed up for email alerts, no confirmation email
2/20 Online status said processing
3/12 Finally received email saying it was processing with locator number
3/12 Email saying passport was printed est. arrival 3/18/2019 with tracking number
3/13 Received another email saying est. arrival 3/20/2019 with same tracking number
3/14 Tracking available via USPS saying est. arrival 3/15/2019
3/15 New 52 page passport book delivered
**Awaiting old passport as it has visas I need, but from the thread appears the return of that isn't taking longer than a week; very pleased
Came to this page daily while anxiously waiting for my passport so wanted to share my wait time, thank you to everyone!
Old Mar 18, 19, 8:23 pm

Feb 19 - Mailed in my application (standard processing)
Feb 22 - Passport was received
Feb 26 - Received email confirmation that passport status is processing

Since then, it still says processing and no further updates. I am freaking out since my trip is next week on 3/27. Yes, I realize now that I should have done expedited from the beginning, but I was misguided in reading many threads which stated that standard processing usually takes 3 weeks (now I know not to believe this is always the case and to expect the worst). Last Wednesday (5 days ago), I called the passport office to pay to update to expedited services with the overnight delivery ($76), and since then, absolutely nothing has changed in the status (still says processing under standard delivery, no charge to my credit card). I have called 2 times since, with the operators simply stating to keep an eye out and call back. This is upsetting that I'm trying to take extra precaution to speed up the process and now that I have a week left til my trip, still nothing has been changed. Also, it appears there are others in this thread who applied after me and have already received their new passport, which is worrisome.

Just a word of advice for anyone reading this, pay the expedited service if your trip is 4-6 weeks away because there are no guarantees.
Old Mar 18, 19, 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by cmai View Post

Since then, it still says processing and no further updates. I am freaking out since my trip is next week on 3/27. Yes, I realize now that I should have done expedited from the beginning, but I was misguided in reading many threads which stated that standard processing usually takes 3 weeks (now I know not to believe this is always the case and to expect the worst). Last Wednesday (5 days ago), I called the passport office to pay to update to expedited services with the overnight delivery ($76), and since then, absolutely nothing has changed in the status (still says processing under standard delivery, no charge to my credit card). I have called 2 times since, with the operators simply stating to keep an eye out and call back. This is upsetting that I'm trying to take extra precaution to speed up the process and now that I have a week left til my trip, still nothing has been changed. Also, it appears there are others in this thread who applied after me and have already received their new passport, which is worrisome.

Just a word of advice for anyone reading this, pay the expedited service if your trip is 4-6 weeks away because there are no guarantees.
I hope you get it in time as well. I mailed my passport to Phily thinking that standard would take 3 weeks and called the day I got the email it was processing to have it expedited. They said it needs to be approved but I'll call again. My trip is on 4/11 and I got an email that it would be processing on 3/15.
Old Mar 18, 19, 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by InfrequentFlyer2 View Post
I hope you get it in time as well. I mailed my passport to Phily thinking that standard would take 3 weeks and called the day I got the email it was processing to have it expedited. They said it needs to be approved but I'll call again. My trip is on 4/11 and I got an email that it would be processing on 3/15.
Thanks, I hope I do as well! You should have better luck than me since you were smart to expedite it immediately. I plan to call back tomorrow morning since the operator said to call again if I don't hear anything by end of today, so I'll update if there's any further news (hopefully, good).
pollypocket53132 and B22 like this.
Old Mar 21, 19, 12:50 pm

UPDATE:

Mar 13 - Called to change to expedited and 1-2 day shipping
Mar 19 - Credit card charge for expedited finally appears
Mar 20 - Status updated to final processing; email received about next day shipping
Mar 21 - Passport arrived

So grateful that my passport arrived before my trip but this taught me a lesson to always pay the extra fee for expedited if you have a trip coming up, even if it's not in the next few weeks. Also don't know if it's worth to change to expedited if your passport has been processing already for a few weeks, but I didn't want to take any chances.
Old Mar 21, 19, 4:51 pm

I renewed my own a few months back and updated the page then....now I'm going to provide info for my husband's renewal. We travel on Sunday, April 28th and did routine based on the info from this site---I recognize this is a gamble! This site has been so valuable and I want to help others with up to date info:

Mailed from Buffalo, NY USPS Priority - Saturday, March 16th, arrived at Passport location Tuesday March 19th
Check cleared Thursday March 21st ....
Logged into passport dot gov and locator number was assigned this morning. (Thursday march 21st, the same day the check cleared)

Stay tuned~
pollypocket53132, B22 and BS606 like this.
Old Mar 22, 19, 6:38 am

I just applied using EXPEDITED and here is my timeline:... It will be only a total of 12 days door to door (and I didn't pay for the overnight return shipping, only regular with expedited processing). I am getting a standard page-length Passport book (no passport card) and it was mailed from Boston, MA area to Philly. I enclosed a check for $170 (which was $110 for passport renewal and $60 for expedited).

1) Monday March 11th - Sent in renewal application via USPS First Class package with tracking. It only costs $2.68 for shipping by using PayPal USPS shipping for 4 ounces (they are the only ones that I know of that offer First Class package with tracking at this price). Here is the link: https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_ship-now

2) Thursday March 14th 9:53am - received by Passport in Philadelphia PA

3) Friday March 15th 10:52pm - received email notification with Passport locator number

4) Monday March 18th - My bank clears the check. It looks like they converted the check into a direct debit.. It stated: "DIRECT DEBIT PASSPORTSERVIC0000002202PAYMENT (Cash)"

5) Wed March 20th - 6:49pm - received email notification saying "We have finished processing your passport, and it has been printed."

6) Friday March 22nd - I subscribe to USPS's "Informed Delivery Daily Digest" email that they send me daily email with scans of my incoming mail. At the bottom of it, it had a tracking number from a package arriving from Passport. Clicking on that tracking number, I see that I have a "Priority" package from "Passport Services Hotsprings AR" that shows the package left Hot Springs National Park on Thursday 3/21 @ 6:17pm. Interesting, this info and tracking number is NOT on the Passport status page, I'm only getting it because of the USPS notification.

7) Saturday March 23rd @ 10:35am. - Passport DELIVERED. What is interesting is that the return label says: "US Government, Portsmouth NH", but I know that this was actually sent from Hot Springs Arkansas (due the fact that the tracking history shows that). They must put the return address as the nearest office.

8) Monday March 25th. Received a 2nd package. This one had my old passport that they were returning.

Last edited by steve100; Yesterday at 6:12 am Reason: missing bank info
Old Yesterday, 4:28 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus, Southwest Rapid Rewards, Alaska Mileage Plan, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Feb. 24 or so: Sent off renewal docs, standard processing

Feb. 27: Acceptance

Mar. 7: Issued and sent from Tuscon that morning

Mar. 8: Arrived to my mailbox in Towson, MD that afternoon, super fast

Mar. 22: Old passport returned
Old Yesterday, 11:17 pm

Six weeks, five days. Passport card.

02/06/2019 Mailed in routine application.
03/05/2019 Email saying passport was printed
03/17/2019 Old passport card delivered
03/21/2019 Tracking available via ¨¨UPS¨¨
03/25/2019 New passport card delivered