Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > USA
Reload this Page >

Current US passport wait? (Merged Threads)

Current US passport wait? (Merged Threads)

Hide Wikipost
Old Apr 20, 22, 1:23 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: 21A
Wiki Link
Passport Agency Appointments (same day expedited service)
Appointments for same-day expedited service often go quickly. It is best that you schedule your appointment with the passport agency exactly 14 days before your trip. You will want to call the passport number before the center opens at 8am EST as they will have just opened up one day (14 days out) of appointments at all agencies. Appointment times start at 8am. It is important that you have enough buffer in your travel schedule. For example, if you make an appointment for a new passport at 11am and your time of travel is at 2pm, there will not be enough time for you to get your passport. If you book the 8am slot you may have to wait until the end of the business day to get your new passport or it may only be a few hours.

You will want to have your date of travel, time of travel, your flight itinerary number, name of destination, full name of applicant, and applicant's birth city, and the zip code of where you live (to help them find the closest available center with open slots). Use the following steps to increase your chances of success to booking an appointment as they can go very quickly:
  1. 14 days before your trip, you need to schedule an appointment with the passport agency.
  2. At 7:55 am call the passport number 877-487-2778 (This have to be exactly 14 days before your plane ticket or less. If less, it will get harder to find an appointment)
  3. Click 1 (For English)
  4. Click 1 (New Passport)
  5. Continue to Click 3to repeat, and keep doing this while watching your watch or using Time.gov to get the exact time down to the second.
  6. When your it hits exactly 8:00 am Click 1 (for traveling within 14 days option)
  7. There will be a delay of 3-4 second and you will wait for the next available agent. If you are very lucky, you will be put straight through to an agent. You may be waiting few minutes or maybe as long as 15-20 minutes.
  8. If you did not click 1 exactly at 8 am, you may have to wait for more than an hour and half
After the appointment slot has been reserved you will be provided with a unique identifier code and reservation number. These details will also be emailed to you.

Credit: chgoeditor

Known office locator numbers (not complete)
Note: The office code (first two digits of your application locator number returned by Passport Status) is the office reviewing your documents and approving your application. It isn't necessarily the address you mailed the forms to (always Irving or Philadelphia for renewals) nor the facility where the book is physically printed and mailed (often Tucson or Hot Springs).

10: Boston
11: NYC
14: Stamford, CT
17: ?
18: Chicago
19: Washington, DC
34: Charleston
42: New Orleans
50: Los Angeles
51: Miami
53: Seattle
54: Minneapolis
55: Dallas or Hot Springs, AR (?)
56: Detroit
57: San Francisco
61: Tucson
62: Tucson
68: Portsmouth, NH
69: Portsmouth, NH or Philadelphia (?)
71: US embassies/consulates abroad
74: Atlanta
76: San Diego
77: Buffalo
78: El Paso
79: Houston

(Missing from list above: Aurora CO, Honolulu, San Juan, VermontÖ)

Credit Nayef, txviking, and various individual posts both here and on Reddit. If you have a locator not in the above list, please check the return address on your returned citizenship docs, which should come from your processing office (though the new passport itself may not), and add to the list above.

Print Wikipost

Old Jun 23, 22, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Xyzzy View Post
What sort of passport did you receive? Was it the "Next Generation" one with the polycarbonate data page or the old style they've been issuing fr a while now?
Next Generation and ticket issue date was not an issue.
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Jun 23, 22, 3:53 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Online, non expedited renewal: 4 weeks 2 days from submission to "shipped" email.

Jun 25 edit: received 52pg old version.

Last edited by GoSh4rks; Jun 26, 22 at 12:35 am
Old Jun 30, 22, 10:12 am

If you are making an appointment for emergency travel service, they may not return your passport to you same day if your flight is not departing that day.

I got a 7am appointment for today at a passport center that is about a 3 hour drive from my house (if no traffic). It was all I could get. I had booked a flight for tomorrow, out of my home city airport. I drove up last night night and stayed in a hotel. After two hours, I got in and they accepted everything. The agent told me to return tomorrow to pick up my passport at 1pm. I said that I thought it was same-day service, and they told me that is only if you are traveling that day. I said that I live 3 hours away, that my flight out of my home city is at 7pm, and I said that I might not have time to drive 3 hours even make my flight tomorrow. Plus I'd have to either stay another night in a hotel or drive 6 hours back and forth. The agent said that was the policy, and had the gall to say "I actually like the drive down to [my city]." I pleaded, and the agent said I could authorize someone to pick it up for me, that I could pick my passport up tomorrow at 1pm, or that I could not pick it up at all.
Old Jun 30, 22, 7:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by YourSimulation View Post
If you are making an appointment for emergency travel service, they may not return your passport to you same day if your flight is not departing that day.

I got a 7am appointment for today at a passport center that is about a 3 hour drive from my house (if no traffic). It was all I could get. I had booked a flight for tomorrow, out of my home city airport. I drove up last night night and stayed in a hotel. After two hours, I got in and they accepted everything. The agent told me to return tomorrow to pick up my passport at 1pm. I said that I thought it was same-day service, and they told me that is only if you are traveling that day. I said that I live 3 hours away, that my flight out of my home city is at 7pm, and I said that I might not have time to drive 3 hours even make my flight tomorrow. Plus I'd have to either stay another night in a hotel or drive 6 hours back and forth. The agent said that was the policy, and had the gall to say "I actually like the drive down to [my city]." I pleaded, and the agent said I could authorize someone to pick it up for me, that I could pick my passport up tomorrow at 1pm, or that I could not pick it up at all.
Have experienced the same kind of ďcome back tomorrow for pick-upĒ thing at the Chicago office. Itís not a new dynamic.
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Jul 2, 22, 5:52 am

Originally Posted by zkmusa View Post
Only the adult one was a nextgen passport.
When we applied for our passport, the only one who get the nextgen passport is my minor kid. The adult got the old one.
Old Jul 2, 22, 8:42 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by cheltzel View Post
Here is the status of my wife's renewal request

USA Passport (large book, no card) renewal, routine service service but expedited mail:

04/08/2022: Mailed all materials via USPS Priority Mail envelope from suburban Chicago to Irving, Tx
04/12/2022: Envelope delivered at Irving, Tx
04/13/2022: Check cleared. Inquired and renewal was in process. Locator started with 62.
05/02/2022: Saw in USPS Informed Delivery that a package due to be delivered next day. From Passport Services Dos Tucson.
05/03/2022: New large passport book delivered. I checked the approval status on the website and it said the book would arrive by May 5.

I am out of town and I assume that this is not a NexGen passport as I did not receive one in my recent renewal. I'll update this post if it is a NexGen passport after I get back home.
I was updating our current flights with the new passport information and noticed that my wife got the NextGen passport.
Old Jul 2, 22, 4:38 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
What is the advantage of the Nextgen passport - (it has 1 less page/book per what I've read which is a disadvantage for me) - but is it more secure? My old one was supposed to be able to be machine read with a strip on the bottom - but that often didn't work - maybe the new one would?
Old Jul 2, 22, 4:50 pm

duplicate

Last edited by estnet; Jul 2, 22 at 4:50 pm Reason: dup
Old Jul 2, 22, 6:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by estnet View Post
What is the advantage of the Nextgen passport - (it has 1 less page/book per what I've read which is a disadvantage for me) - but is it more secure? My old one was supposed to be able to be machine read with a strip on the bottom - but that often didn't work - maybe the new one would?
I see no general advantage from the NextGen passport as a passport user. Someone told me “great, it’s more spill resistant”, but I’ve seen the fusses that can be made even when the passport’s biodata page isn’t damaged. The same person then said “it’s also more tear-resistant”, but there is a downside to the extent that is the case too.

I’m still not around to seeing if abroad the chip reads more reliably in NextGen passports than in the ones I mostly use. But either way, I’m going to stick to mainly using my legacy version passports (issued this year) for my ordinary travel on a US passport for quite some time and then some.

If your passport is of the 10-year validity sort and currently nearing expiration, then maybe you will get a hint about a concern that was out there previously:

https://www.afar.com/magazine/the-de...-your-passport

Either way, NextGen or legacy version, the passports work just fine as usual, so not something to worry about.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jul 2, 22 at 7:00 pm
Old Jul 2, 22, 7:17 pm

Thanks - I just didn't see any advantage (but the disadvantage of losing a page) to the nextgen, but since I don't have a choice and need to renew my pp it doesn't matter. I just was wondering why some people seemed to be wanting the new one

Originally Posted by GUWonder View Post
I see no general advantage from the NextGen passport as a passport user. Someone told me ďgreat, itís more spill resistantĒ, but Iíve seen the fusses that can be made even when the passportís biodata page isnít damaged. The same person then said ďitís also more tear-resistantĒ, but there is a downside to the extent that is the case too.

Iím still not around to seeing if abroad the chip reads more reliably in NextGen passports than in the ones I mostly use. But either way, Iím going to stick to mainly using my legacy version passports (issued this year) for my ordinary travel on a US passport for quite some time and then some.

If your passport is of the 10-year validity sort and currently nearing expiration, then maybe you will get a hint about a concern that was out there previously:

https://www.afar.com/magazine/the-de...-your-passport

Either way, NextGen or legacy version, the passports work just fine as usual, so not something to worry about.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Jul 5, 22, 12:21 am

Programs: Back to 0
5 weeks from online (non-expedited) submission to arrival. Thrilled with that outcome.
estnet likes this.
Old Jul 5, 22, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike...
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Thanks - I just didn't see any advantage (but the disadvantage of losing a page) to the nextgen, but since I don't have a choice and need to renew my pp it doesn't matter. I just was wondering why some people seemed to be wanting the new one
The polycarbonate data page used in the Nextgen passport is not likely to get creased / damaged. I've seen issues in the past with the standard paper(ish) page getting bent / creased by airline agents who are careless or through use of passport holders where the corners wrinkle through repeated insertin. We tend to use our passports a lot and 10 years is a long time and provides a great deal of opportunity for wear and tear.
estnet likes this.
Old Jul 5, 22, 12:15 pm

Programs: NEXUS
I prefer the physical flexibility of the older passports. The plastic data page in the NextGen, plus the semi-rigid plastic cover on all electronic passports, makes me feel like I'm carrying a brick in my pocket.
estnet likes this.
Old Jul 13, 22, 11:18 am

Programs: Virgin Atlantic FC Gold, Intercontinental Royal Ambassador, Hilton Hhonors Gold
Data point.

Child, first time passport, expedited with 1-2 day return. No SSN (submitted affidavit) since child is newborn and SSN not received at time of application.

Applied- at local post office - 24 June 2022
In process- 29 June 2022
Check cashed- 29 June 2022
Approved - 11 July 2022
Shipped- 11 July 2022
Received via UPS - 13 July 2022 before 12pm.
Old Jul 14, 22, 12:16 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles; Hilton HHonors; NEXUS; National Emerald Club Executive
Originally Posted by Xyzzy View Post
The polycarbonate data page used in the Nextgen passport is not likely to get creased / damaged. I've seen issues in the past with the standard paper(ish) page getting bent / creased by airline agents who are careless or through use of passport holders where the corners wrinkle through repeated insertin. We tend to use our passports a lot and 10 years is a long time and provides a great deal of opportunity for wear and tear.
The polycarbonate page in my Norwegian passport turned brittle and came loose while entering Jamaica on my honeymoon. Granted, that was a design flaw and Norway started issuing polycarbonate passports 20 years before the US did.

Still, it was a huge hassle. When I received my first US passport, I was relieved to see it was the older design with a laminated paper biodata page.

Search this Thread