Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > USA
Reload this Page >

Current US passport wait? (Merged Threads)

Current US passport wait? (Merged Threads)

Old Jan 11, 19, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat & 1MM, Marriott LT Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Explorist & IHG Plat
Good to hear the passport office is apparently still open. Was planning to wait to renew my child's passport (expires May) but maybe better to do it now as hard to predict what will happen if the shutdown continues.
Old Jan 14, 19, 6:11 pm
formerly dave h.

Location: Seattle - it's not Hell, but you can SEA it from here!
Programs: SkyMiles, IHG nobody, HH nobody
this is the link for the Dept of State Passport Office status during the shutdown:

Passport Services During Lapse in Appropriations

mailed mine today USPS express delivery, big book, expedited service, 2-day return.
Old Jan 15, 19, 8:29 am
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: UA Plat-1MM, Hhonors Gold, Marriott/SPG Gold
I was also surprisingly pleased with the speed of my new passport. I also signed up for on-line updates, after the check cleared. FYI

12/19/18 Mailed out regular mail
12/28 check cleared
1/11/19 new 52 page passport arrived
1/14 old canceled passport arrived.
Old Jan 19, 19, 2:33 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: AAdvantage | MileagePlus
My daughter's recent experience.

Standard processing time.

December 26, 2018, passport renewal application filled up online, printed and mailed via Priority Mail.

January 18, 2019, new passport received (date of issue - January 15, 2019). She's still waiting for the return of her old passport.
Old Jan 22, 19, 6:11 am

Programs: AA-PLT, Hilton-DIA
USA passport renewal during partial government shutdown?

Originally Posted by Happy View Post
I cannot book anything before April because our passports expire in March and with the continue shut down I dont know when we could renew our passports. Therefore I dont want to take any chance.
Passport renewal processing is open. I sent mine in after the shutdown began after Christmas and received my new renewal back just last week. I didn't pay for expedite and I think the turnaround time was excellent.

https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...-shutdown.html
Old Jan 22, 19, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by azcoyote View Post
Passport renewal processing is open. I sent mine in after the shutdown began after Christmas and received my new renewal back just last week. I didn't pay for expedite and I think the turnaround time was excellent.

https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...-shutdown.html
THANK YOU for the info!

The best news I have gotten from the government front recently!

Indeed, the turnaround is excellent. May be many people like us have been waiting, thereby there is not much backlog in the system. Will proceed accordingly.

Did you use the form filling function online? I assume once the form is filled, it would still be printed then be sent in together with the photo, old passport and of course the payment. We specifically took our passport photos on our last visit to Hong Kong in November as there are ID photo services with much better quality and much cheaper. 6 photos for HKD80. Still debate whether we should get the 52 pages book or not..

Last edited by Happy; Jan 22, 19 at 9:28 am
Old Jan 22, 19, 9:44 am

THANK YOU for the info!

The best news I have gotten from the government front recently!

Indeed, the turnaround is excellent. May be many people like us have been waiting, thereby there is not much backlog in the system. Will proceed accordingly.

Did you use the form filling function online? I assume once the form is filled, it would still be printed then be sent in together with the photo, old passport and of course the payment. We specifically took our passport photos on our last visit to Hong Kong in November as there are ID photo services with much better quality and much cheaper. 6 photos for HKD80. Still debate whether we should get the 52 pages book or not..
I just did the same with a name change and an expired passport for my daughter. We took it to the post office after Christmas and received it within 2 weeks, and our documents (marriage license, etc) received within 3. We did use the form filling function, printed it and brought it with us.
Old Jan 22, 19, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MadMadso View Post
I just did the same with a name change and an expired passport for my daughter. We took it to the post office after Christmas and received it within 2 weeks, and our documents (marriage license, etc) received within 3. We did use the form filling function, printed it and brought it with us.
Thanks also for the additional DPs. So you opted to pay the handling fee at the Post Office versus just mailing it in? IIRC, not every post office accept the passport application stuff. At least from the memory in our area only a destined one would take it and there is an additional fee.
Old Jan 22, 19, 12:25 pm

Programs: AA-PLT, Hilton-DIA

Yes, yes and yes. Form filled online, printed and sent in with payment and photo. I got the 52 page book since that is why i needed to renew 3 years early. My old book was full, and extra pages cost the same as a renewal now.
STBCypriot likes this.
Old Jan 23, 19, 12:50 am

UPDATE:
1/7 Mailed overnight
1/8 Delivered
1/9 Locator number assigned online and check deposited.
1/11 Two E-Mailís that passport is completed and printed with tracking number.
1/14 Passort shipped
1/15 Passport in my hand
1/18 Old passport returned

I paid for expedited service and express return shipping.
very happy with my experience as I was leaving for Germany on 1/19!
BS606 likes this.
Old Jan 23, 19, 3:48 pm
formerly dave h.

01.14 Mailed 2-day
01.16 Delivered
01.22 Email confirming printed and mailed
01.23 Received

9 days door-to-door, expedited service, 2-day return. pretty good for the federal government.
Old Jan 23, 19, 5:06 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: AAdvantage | MileagePlus
Originally Posted by TWA884 View Post
My daughter's recent experience.

Standard processing time.

December 26, 2018, passport renewal application filled up online, printed and mailed via Priority Mail.

January 18, 2019, new passport received (date of issue - January 15, 2019). She's still waiting for the return of her old passport.
Old cancelled passport arrived today, January 23.
Old Jan 23, 19, 8:02 pm

New Passport

I'm here in AZ. Went down to the county clerks office and filled for new first time passport 16+ with standard processing on 1/16. Havent gotten any notification that it's been received. I'm leaving to Brazil on 2/23 and still need to get my visa once I get my passport. What do you guys think are my chances of getting it on it before 2/15?
Old Jan 23, 19, 9:26 pm
formerly dave h.

you could call the clerk and ask if they know how long first issues take. my first one 10 years ago took about 6 weeks.
Old Jan 24, 19, 9:39 am
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: DL GM 0.4MM, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Avis PC, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Stephen_neri View Post
I'm here in AZ. Went down to the county clerks office and filled for new first time passport 16+ with standard processing on 1/16. Havent gotten any notification that it's been received. I'm leaving to Brazil on 2/23 and still need to get my visa once I get my passport. What do you guys think are my chances of getting it on it before 2/15?
I'm surprised you did not overnight/expedite. This seems like a very tight turn around.

Search this Thread