Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > USA
Reload this Page >

Current US passport wait? (Merged Threads)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 1, 2022, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CKDGM
Passport Agency Appointments (same day expedited service)
Appointments for same-day expedited service often go quickly. It is best that you schedule your appointment with the passport agency exactly 14 days before your trip. You will want to call the passport number before the center opens at 8am EST as they will have just opened up one day (14 days out) of appointments at all agencies. Appointment times start at 8am. It is important that you have enough buffer in your travel schedule. For example, if you make an appointment for a new passport at 11am and your time of travel is at 2pm, there will not be enough time for you to get your passport. If you book the 8am slot you may have to wait until the end of the business day to get your new passport or it may only be a few hours.

You will want to have your date of travel, time of travel, your flight itinerary number, name of destination, full name of applicant, and applicant's birth city, and the zip code of where you live (to help them find the closest available center with open slots). Use the following steps to increase your chances of success to booking an appointment as they can go very quickly:
  1. 14 days before your trip, you need to schedule an appointment with the passport agency.
  2. At 7:55 am call the passport number 877-487-2778 (This have to be exactly 14 days before your plane ticket or less. If less, it will get harder to find an appointment)
  3. Click 1 (For English)
  4. Click 2 (New Passport)
  5. Continue to Click 7 to repeat, and keep doing this while watching your watch or using Time.gov to get the exact time down to the second.
  6. When your it hits exactly 8:00 am Click 2 (for traveling within 14 days option)
  7. There will be a delay of 3-4 second and you will wait for the next available agent. If you are very lucky, you will be put straight through to an agent. You may be waiting few minutes or maybe as long as 15-20 minutes.
  8. If you did not click 1 exactly at 8 am, you may have to wait for more than an hour and half
After the appointment slot has been reserved you will be provided with a unique identifier code and reservation number. These details will also be emailed to you.

Credit: chgoeditor

Known office locator numbers (not complete)
Note: The office code (first two digits of your application locator number returned by Passport Status) is the office reviewing your documents and approving your application. It isn't necessarily the address you mailed the forms to (always Irving or Philadelphia for renewals) nor the facility where the book is physically printed and mailed (often Tucson or Hot Springs).

10: Boston
11: NYC
12: Honolulu
14: Stamford, CT
15: Portsmouth, NH
17: Aurora, CO
18: Chicago
19: Washington, DC
20-29: Portsmouth, NH
34-39: Charleston
40-42: New Orleans, LA
45: Portsmouth, NH
50: Los Angeles, CA
51: Miami
53: Seattle
54: Minneapolis
55: Dallas
56: Detroit
57: San Francisco
58: Philadelphia, PA
61-64: Tucson
65: Hot Springs, AR
67: San Juan, PR
68: Portsmouth, NH
69: Portsmouth, NH
71: US embassies/consulates abroad (possibly Portsmouth, NH)
74: Atlanta
75: St Albans, VT
76: San Diego, CA
77: Buffalo, NY
78: El Paso, TX
79: Houston, TX
80: Special Issuance Agency ("Issues diplomatic, official, service, and no-fee regular passports, and facilitates visa processing for those traveling on behalf of the U.S. government.")
95: Online

A list of agencies and their locator numbers is listed on this page under the heading, "List of passport agencies and centers with locator numbers."

H/T Nayef, txviking, and various individual posts both here and on Reddit. If you have a locator not in the above list, check the return address agency name or postmark/ZIP on your returned citizenship docs, or passport card if you applied for one, which may be the processing office, although the address itself is likely to be a PO Box in Sterling, VA in all cases (which appears to be a lockbox location that processes mail for all locations). The passport books are printed in fewer locations, often Hot Springs and Tucson, and may not correspond to the agency where the processing steps occurred. If it doesn’t match the list above, please add or correct.
Print Wikipost

Current US passport wait? (Merged Threads)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2018, 12:00 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott LTPP, Hertz Five Star
Expedited adult passport
04/09 submitted USPS, paid expedited processing and priority delivery both ways
04/10, delivered
04/12, email from state.gov acknowledging receipt
04/13 check cashed by Passport Services
04/16 Email from state.gov acknowledging printing of the passport book and a Priority Mail Express tracking number in "label created" status (Passport Agency hasn't tendered to USPS yet)
waiting for the passport to ship
04/17 Actually shipped, estimated arrival by 3PM on 04/19 via USPS Priority Mail Express
04/19 New Passport Book arrived, still awaiting Passport Card and other documents (old passport) in separate mailings
04/20 Passport card and returned passport are in today's mail to be delivered in the afternoon.

Last edited by phltraveler; Apr 20, 2018 at 8:45 am
Old Apr 18, 2018, 1:43 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Data point for Routine Service:

3/29 mailed to TX processing center (CA resident)
4/3 application showed up in the system at https://passportstatus.state.gov/ with a quoted timeframe of 4-6 weeks; registered my email address
4/10 received an email that my application had been received and was being processed but no info that I hadn't already gotten from the status web site on 4/3
~4/16 reported status changed from "currently being processed" to "final processing stages" and said I should have it by 4/23
4/18 received the new passport only today (with an insert explaining that the old one/identity documents may be returned in a separate mailing)

Out of curiosity I checked and the status in the system still says "final processing stages" and the only email I ever received was the one on 4/10.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 1:08 pm

Programs: delta
Originally Posted by Mary Tracy
3/30 sent 2 child applications in via local processing center- normal processing.

4/11 Applications finally in system and checks cleared bank.
4/20 Passports printed and received tracking numbers- so about 3 1/2 weeks turn around (including shipping)
Old Apr 26, 2018, 6:41 pm

Got my expedited renewal passport in about a 1 week turnaround. Original passport was mailed the day after, but I never received it. It's been over 3 weeks now. US Passport Agency says call the post office it was mailed from and see if they can locate it. I'm calling tomorrow and hoping for the best, but not holding my breath.

Anyone here dealt with a lost original passport on the mail back? Pretty disappointing as I have a 10 year Chinese visa with 7 years remaining I'd really prefer to not have to get another one of.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 6:28 am

Originally Posted by jiaogulan
Got my expedited renewal passport in about a 1 week turnaround. Original passport was mailed the day after, but I never received it. It's been over 3 weeks now. US Passport Agency says call the post office it was mailed from and see if they can locate it. I'm calling tomorrow and hoping for the best, but not holding my breath.

Anyone here dealt with a lost original passport on the mail back? Pretty disappointing as I have a 10 year Chinese visa with 7 years remaining I'd really prefer to not have to get another one of.
Called the US Postal Service, they said what is your tracking number? I said the Passport Agency didn't give me one. Called the Passport Agency back, they said we sent it via First Class Mail without a tracking number. I said, so could I have prevented this? The agent said it's up to the issuing agent to be sent with tracking. (I never saw an option to have things returned with tracking, only to be SENT by me, with tracking). Asked then, so basically I am screwed for having my old visas back? The agent said yup.

Fun, fun.

If you renew your passport, be prepared to potentially never see your old passport, and any accompanying memories and/or visas, again.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 10:13 am

Don't give up hope. I had something important show up after missing for two months.

In any event, file a search with the USPS Mail Recovery Center; perhaps the passport and envelope got separated:

https://www.usps.com/help/missing-mail.htm

It looks like U.S. passports found loose in the mail are automatically returned to the State Department, but whether that includes cancelled passports I don't know. In any event, you might want to contact the State Department as well. Do a Google search for an office there called CLASP.
jiaogulan likes this.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 11:22 am

Originally Posted by 889
Don't give up hope. I had something important show up after missing for two months.

In any event, file a search with the USPS Mail Recovery Center; perhaps the passport and envelope got separated:

https://www.usps.com/help/missing-mail.htm

It looks like U.S. passports found loose in the mail are automatically returned to the State Department, but whether that includes cancelled passports I don't know. In any event, you might want to contact the State Department as well. Do a Google search for an office there called CLASP.
Thank you. I'll keep this thread updated if I learn anything interesting.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 3:32 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by Zorak
Data point for Routine Service:

3/29 mailed to TX processing center (CA resident)
4/3 application showed up in the system at https://passportstatus.state.gov/ with a quoted timeframe of 4-6 weeks; registered my email address
4/10 received an email that my application had been received and was being processed but no info that I hadn't already gotten from the status web site on 4/3
~4/16 reported status changed from "currently being processed" to "final processing stages" and said I should have it by 4/23
4/18 received the new passport only today (with an insert explaining that the old one/identity documents may be returned in a separate mailing)

Out of curiosity I checked and the status in the system still says "final processing stages" and the only email I ever received was the one on 4/10.
Followup:

4/23 old passport received via regular first class mail; although the return address says Sterling, VA the printed postage/mark in the upper right has the same 03801 zip code the new passport was sent from (Portsmouth, NH passport center)

4/29 received an email today:

We have finished processing your passport, and it has been printed.

Your passport application locator number is xxxxxxxxx.

You requested delivery by regular mail. Passport Agencies use Priority Mail. This means you should receive your passport on or about 04/23/2018.

bottom line, I wouldn't rely on the email notifications; check your status online periodically if you are the OCD type like me.
Old May 8, 2018, 8:20 am

Programs: AA PLT / 2MM
Applied for passport renewal (regular non expedited) for wife:

4/23 - sent via priority mail
4/26 - delivered
4/30 - application showed up in system w/ quoted timeframe of 4-6 weeks; registered email address
.... checked approximately daily; same message as before every day (no final steps notice ever); no emails
5/8 - "We have finished processing your passport, and it has been mailed to you using Priority Mail. You should receive your passport on or about 05/13/2018." tracking number provided

5/8 PM -- "Your passport application is in the final processing stages."

Last edited by LAX_Esq; May 8, 2018 at 5:18 pm
Old May 9, 2018, 3:13 pm

Programs: AAdvantage /Miles&Smiles
  • Applied for a Routine Service Renewal
  • Requested a Large Book [non-standard] 52 pages
  • 4/11 Mailed to TX processing center (Chicago, IL resident)
  • 4/13 Delivered
  • 4/17 Check cashed
  • 4/18 Received an email saying "Thank you for submitting your application for a U.S. passport book! It is currently being processed.....etc"
  • As of today 5/9 still seeing the same status message online. I haven't received any updates.
  • It seems like some people applied after me and already received their passports using Routine Service.
  • I wonder if requesting a large book takes longer?! Also if the location of the processing center makes a difference PA vs TX.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATE:
  • 5/10 Received this email today:
We have finished processing your passport, and it has been printed.
Your passport application locator number is ...........
You requested delivery by regular mail. Passport Agencies use Priority Mail. This means you should receive your passport on or about 05/16/2018.

Last edited by TurkORD; May 10, 2018 at 5:48 pm Reason: Updated Notes
Old May 10, 2018, 3:49 am

Programs: PMUA
Originally Posted by TurkORD
  • Applied for a Routine Service Renewal
  • Requested a Large Book [non-standard] 52 pages
  • 4/11 Mailed to TX processing center (Chicago, IL resident)
  • 4/13 Delivered
  • 4/17 Check cashed
  • 4/18 Received an email saying "Thank you for submitting your application for a U.S. passport book! It is currently being processed.....etc"
Looks like lots of delays right now for passport renewals
  • Applied for a Expedited Renewal
  • 4/18 Mailed to Philly processing center (from Virginia)
  • 4/19 Delivered to the agency
  • 4/23 Received an email saying "Thank you for submitting your application for a U.S. passport book! It is currently being processed.....etc" so its been 3 weeks today that they received it and with expedited service I still don't have my passport
------------------update----

received new passport on 18th

Last edited by Karlson; Jun 5, 2018 at 5:58 am Reason: update on arrival date
Old May 10, 2018, 1:36 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
I had much better luck with my application for a 52 page passport with expedited renewal. I had an upcoming international trip on 5/2, which I stated in my application. Not sure if that made a difference.
  • Mailed application from California on Thursday 4/12 in the afternoon
  • Delivered to Philadelphia processing center on Saturday 4/14
  • Check cleared on Tuesday 4/17
  • Received new passport on Saturday 4/21
  • Received old passport on Tuesday 4/24
One mistake I did make was with my email address. I filled the form online. When you do that everything, including the email address I entered, is filled in all caps. I didn’t notice it until I printed and mailed the application form. Because my email was in all caps, I never received notification about the application. However, I was able to go online to https://passportstatus.state.gov/ and manually enter my info and get the status and also correct my email address.

Last edited by sooge_sj; May 10, 2018 at 4:46 pm
Old May 17, 2018, 2:48 pm

Submitted child passport for renewal at local acceptance facility on 04/27/2018. Received status update yesterday that processing as well as printing is complete and I would receive the passport by 05/22. Able to track it on USPS today with a delivery date of 05/19/2018. I would say pretty good for regular processing; glad that I did not go for expedited.
Status on passport website still says processing, so sign up for the email alerts.
Old May 18, 2018, 5:39 am

Another data point.
Routine child renewal

5/4 appt at local acceptance agency

5/9 online status “processing” and check cleared our bank

5/18 online status shows printed/mailed with tracking number to deliver on or about 5/23
Edited to add: no emails received during the process

Last edited by Phred119s; May 18, 2018 at 5:40 am Reason: Forgot a sentence
Old May 29, 2018, 8:42 am

Can I renew my passport 11 months before it expires?
I heard that you can't renew it earlier than 9 months ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.