Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > USA
Reload this Page >

Current US passport wait? (Merged Threads)

Current US passport wait? (Merged Threads)

Old Oct 29, 17, 10:25 pm

10/14, applied my son first passport at a USPS
10/18, check was cleared
10/21, received email notification that passport was being sent out, eta 10/28
10/25, received passport in mail (from AZ)
10/27, received supporting doc back.

* applied for routine passport, very impressed that how fast they processed the passport.
Old Nov 28, 17, 1:00 pm

Passport Questions

Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone could help me with this expedited passport question. I applied on November 21st and need it at the absolute latest December 13th. (I fly out the 14th). That leaves me 22 days from when I applied. I purchased a expedited passport plus paid for it to overnight ship, so it got to Philadelphia on November 22nd. Will I be ok on time?
Old Nov 30, 17, 3:44 pm
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Originally Posted by nnewgaard0737 View Post
Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone could help me with this expedited passport question. I applied on November 21st and need it at the absolute latest December 13th. (I fly out the 14th). That leaves me 22 days from when I applied. I purchased a expedited passport plus paid for it to overnight ship, so it got to Philadelphia on November 22nd. Will I be ok on time?
Probably. I sent mine in for routine service a week before you and today got the email that it'll be delivered next week.
Old Dec 7, 17, 11:06 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Plat Premier (+AMB); Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
My recent data point:

11/27 – mailed to Philadelphia Priority mail with tracking
11/29 – delivered at 5AM
12/1 – Check for fees cashed
12/6 - Early AM– Email received – processing application, locator number issued
12/6 - Late PM – Email received – Processing finished, overnight delivery notated, should receive on or about 12/9
12/7 – Received new passport by Noon

Very impressed. With regular / routine processing and paying for Next-Day return, I received my new passport in 10 days!

When I initially tracked its progress and saw the boilerplate (4-6 weeks), I was actually worried a bit about travel for New Years.
Very happy today.
Old Dec 7, 17, 12:06 pm

My expedited adult renewal -

11/21 - Submitted with expedited fees at Chicago Loop post office
11/25 - Arrived in Philadelphia
11/27 - Email saying it was in progress
11/30 - Email saying passport was printed and was being mailed and expected delivery was 12/2 - GOT HOME AND IT WAS ALREADY THERE. HA.

Child's passport book and card (not expedited, no overnight mail)

11/24 - Submitted at Chicago Loop post office
11/28 - Email saying it was in progress
12/5 - Email saying passport was printed and mailed and expected delivery was 12/11
12/7 - Delivered today

So... probably should have saved my expediting $$$$.
Old Dec 7, 17, 1:25 pm
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

11/16 - Mailed to Irving for routine processing
11/18 - Renewal application delivered
11/21 - Check cashed
12/2 - New passport delivered
12/7 - Old passport returned

Last edited by venomtrilogy; Dec 10, 17 at 4:28 pm
Old Dec 8, 17, 9:30 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Plat Premier (+AMB); Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by goodeats21 View Post
My recent data point:

11/27 – mailed to Philadelphia Priority mail with tracking
11/29 – delivered at 5AM
12/1 – Check for fees cashed
12/6 - Early AM– Email received – processing application, locator number issued
12/6 - Late PM – Email received – Processing finished, overnight delivery notated, should receive on or about 12/9
12/7 – Received new passport by Noon

Very impressed. With regular / routine processing and paying for Next-Day return, I received my new passport in 10 days!

When I initially tracked its progress and saw the boilerplate (4-6 weeks), I was actually worried a bit about travel for New Years.
Very happy today.
Well, now I am less impressed and happy.

After getting some time to actually look at the passport, seems like they didn't give me the extra pages I asked for.
I had to send my last passport in for extra pages to be added, and I don't think they do that anymore.

Looks like this is now going to last about 5 years and going to cost $$ to get a new one early.
Old Dec 8, 17, 5:40 pm

Curious what you guys think of my situation.

I live in Philadelphia, PA and my case is being handled by the Philadelphia Passport Agency a mile from where I live.

I went into a post office on Monday, December 4th in the late evening to renew my adult passport in person (routine processing/non-overnight mail).

On Wednesday December 6th, they deducted the fees from my Checking and sent me email with locator number saying it's in process.

When can I expect my passport back? I'm traveling the days after Christmas abroad and scared it won't make it in time.
Old Dec 9, 17, 6:57 am

Originally Posted by iexpert View Post
Curious what you guys think of my situation.

I live in Philadelphia, PA and my case is being handled by the Philadelphia Passport Agency a mile from where I live.

I went into a post office on Monday, December 4th in the late evening to renew my adult passport in person (routine processing/non-overnight mail).

On Wednesday December 6th, they deducted the fees from my Checking and sent me email with locator number saying it's in process.

When can I expect my passport back? I'm traveling the days after Christmas abroad and scared it won't make it in time.
If you take a look at the post directly above yours, you will see my very recent experience.
I received my passport 6 days after the check was cashed, but that was using overnight mail to Ohio. It was routine processing though.

You should be receiving an email in a couple days showing your renewal is being processed. I think you will be OK, but if you don't have the passport (or at least an indication it was mailed back to you) by 2 weeks prior to your travel, there is a mechanism to call the passport agency and get expedited.

Bottom line, I wouldn't be overly concerned, though you did cut it a little close.

Good luck.
Old Dec 12, 17, 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by goodeats21 View Post
If you take a look at the post directly above yours, you will see my very recent experience.
I received my passport 6 days after the check was cashed, but that was using overnight mail to Ohio. It was routine processing though.

You should be receiving an email in a couple days showing your renewal is being processed. I think you will be OK, but if you don't have the passport (or at least an indication it was mailed back to you) by 2 weeks prior to your travel, there is a mechanism to call the passport agency and get expedited.

Bottom line, I wouldn't be overly concerned, though you did cut it a little close.

Good luck.
Haven't heard anything since I got the email on December 7th/check was cashed that day.

Been stuck in processing.
Old Dec 12, 17, 9:53 pm

It's only been a few business days, give it some time
Old Dec 13, 17, 3:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold
Here is another data point:

12/6/17 - walked into local post office in MD for passport application - expedited application with passport and passport card
12/11/17 - Received email with passport record locator
12/13/17 - Received another email with USPS tracking number with an expected delivery of 12/19
Old Dec 14, 17, 6:36 pm

My datapoints for Philadelphia passport agency (mailing from Tucson AZ)

12/4 Late Evening - Adult renewal at Post office (routine/non-overnight)
12/6 - Check cashed
12/7 Early AM - Locator number email issued
12/13 - Passport Issued
12/14 Late PM - Tracking number available
12/15 Late PM - Mailed from Tucson AZ
12/18 - Delivered

Overall 14 days from start to finish

Last edited by iexpert; Dec 20, 17 at 3:25 pm
Old Dec 18, 17, 11:19 am

Programs: Riteaid wellness+ Gold, PlanetFitness Preferred Black, Hyatt Cubic Zirconia, Hallmark Crown Platinum
In progress

Routine/ Passport book & card/ Renewal/ Name Change w/ marriage certificate

12/18/2017 12:45PM NYC -> Irving, TX. USPS Priority Mail. Expected arrival 12/21
12/22/2017 USPS says they can't find it.
12/26/2017 USPS asks for patience as their system is overloaded at the moment.
12/27/2017 Arrived in Irving, TX
12/28/2017 Check cashed, tracking # received at 12:50AM
1/2/2018 finished processing at 8:50pm
1/3/2018 sent out via USPS priority at 12:55am
1/3/2018 evening - receive a message saying that it's expected to be delivered on 1/10
1/4/2018 early morning - USPS shows Saturday 1/6 delivery but it's snowing like crazy.

Last edited by IIIIIIIIIIllllllllll; Jan 3, 18 at 10:23 pm
Old Dec 20, 17, 5:47 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Hyatt Glob, SPG LTP
Straight forward renewal:
Application mailed: 1 DEC Priority Mail to IRVING TX
Delivered: 5 DEC
Fee debited: 7 DEC
Passport issued: 16 DEC
Passport tendered to USPS: 18 DEC Priority Mail from LITTLE ROCK AR
Passport received: 20 DEC
Supporting documents returned: 22 DEC