Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > USA
Reload this Page >

Current US passport wait? (Merged Threads)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 1, 2022, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CKDGM
Passport Agency Appointments (same day expedited service)
Appointments for same-day expedited service often go quickly. It is best that you schedule your appointment with the passport agency exactly 14 days before your trip. You will want to call the passport number before the center opens at 8am EST as they will have just opened up one day (14 days out) of appointments at all agencies. Appointment times start at 8am. It is important that you have enough buffer in your travel schedule. For example, if you make an appointment for a new passport at 11am and your time of travel is at 2pm, there will not be enough time for you to get your passport. If you book the 8am slot you may have to wait until the end of the business day to get your new passport or it may only be a few hours.

You will want to have your date of travel, time of travel, your flight itinerary number, name of destination, full name of applicant, and applicant's birth city, and the zip code of where you live (to help them find the closest available center with open slots). Use the following steps to increase your chances of success to booking an appointment as they can go very quickly:
  1. 14 days before your trip, you need to schedule an appointment with the passport agency.
  2. At 7:55 am call the passport number 877-487-2778 (This have to be exactly 14 days before your plane ticket or less. If less, it will get harder to find an appointment)
  3. Click 1 (For English)
  4. Click 2 (New Passport)
  5. Continue to Click 7 to repeat, and keep doing this while watching your watch or using Time.gov to get the exact time down to the second.
  6. When your it hits exactly 8:00 am Click 2 (for traveling within 14 days option)
  7. There will be a delay of 3-4 second and you will wait for the next available agent. If you are very lucky, you will be put straight through to an agent. You may be waiting few minutes or maybe as long as 15-20 minutes.
  8. If you did not click 1 exactly at 8 am, you may have to wait for more than an hour and half
After the appointment slot has been reserved you will be provided with a unique identifier code and reservation number. These details will also be emailed to you.

Credit: chgoeditor

Known office locator numbers (not complete)
Note: The office code (first two digits of your application locator number returned by Passport Status) is the office reviewing your documents and approving your application. It isn't necessarily the address you mailed the forms to (always Irving or Philadelphia for renewals) nor the facility where the book is physically printed and mailed (often Tucson or Hot Springs).

10: Boston
11: NYC
12: Honolulu
14: Stamford, CT
15: Portsmouth, NH
17: Aurora, CO
18: Chicago
19: Washington, DC
20-29: Portsmouth, NH
34-39: Charleston
40-42: New Orleans, LA
45: Portsmouth, NH
50: Los Angeles, CA
51: Miami
53: Seattle
54: Minneapolis
55: Dallas
56: Detroit
57: San Francisco
58: Philadelphia, PA
61-64: Tucson
65: Hot Springs, AR
67: San Juan, PR
68: Portsmouth, NH
69: Portsmouth, NH
71: US embassies/consulates abroad (possibly Portsmouth, NH)
74: Atlanta
75: St Albans, VT
76: San Diego, CA
77: Buffalo, NY
78: El Paso, TX
79: Houston, TX
80: Special Issuance Agency ("Issues diplomatic, official, service, and no-fee regular passports, and facilitates visa processing for those traveling on behalf of the U.S. government.")
95: Online

A list of agencies and their locator numbers is listed on this page under the heading, "List of passport agencies and centers with locator numbers."

H/T Nayef, txviking, and various individual posts both here and on Reddit. If you have a locator not in the above list, check the return address agency name or postmark/ZIP on your returned citizenship docs, or passport card if you applied for one, which may be the processing office, although the address itself is likely to be a PO Box in Sterling, VA in all cases (which appears to be a lockbox location that processes mail for all locations). The passport books are printed in fewer locations, often Hot Springs and Tucson, and may not correspond to the agency where the processing steps occurred. If it doesn’t match the list above, please add or correct.
Print Wikipost

Current US passport wait? (Merged Threads)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2021, 8:18 am

Here's my situation:
Jan 21st - usps appointment 1st time application for my baby - I'm in California and my application went to Philly
Jan 29th - In process
Feb 16th - contacted state rep at 11am, filled out privacy form and sent back at 2pm
Feb 17th - didn't receive any email from the state rep letting me know if they received my form or what, so I called their office and they told that they had already sent my request to the passport agency
Today is feb 19th and nothing has changed, status is still in process
I'm traveling internationally on March 3rd, I'll be moving to Brazil, and my job there starts on March 8th
on Feb 23rd I have an important appointment at a brazilian consulate to naturalize my daughter and I'll need her birth certificate, but it's with her passport application, I'm very desperate, and the kicker - according to brazilian law I can only naturalize her in the country where she was born, or in brazil when she turns 18, awesome
Old Feb 19, 2021, 8:29 am

Originally Posted by pahh88
Here's my situation:
Jan 21st - usps appointment 1st time application for my baby - I'm in California and my application went to Philly
Jan 29th - In process
Feb 16th - contacted state rep at 11am, filled out privacy form and sent back at 2pm
Feb 17th - didn't receive any email from the state rep letting me know if they received my form or what, so I called their office and they told that they had already sent my request to the passport agency
Today is feb 19th and nothing has changed, status is still in process
I'm traveling internationally on March 3rd, I'll be moving to Brazil, and my job there starts on March 8th
on Feb 23rd I have an important appointment at a brazilian consulate to naturalize my daughter and I'll need her birth certificate, but it's with her passport application, I'm very desperate, and the kicker - according to brazilian law I can only naturalize her in the country where she was born, or in brazil when she turns 18, awesome
It is not likely that get the birth certificate on time. The send the new passport first then a few days after they send the birth certificate and any other supporting documents. I would recommend applying for an expedited birth certificate if your baby was born in the US.

Last edited by Seattleguy10; Feb 19, 2021 at 8:34 am
Old Feb 19, 2021, 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Who knows how many mail trucks have been delayed, smashed up, skidded off highways, or another of other potential travel maladies in the past week.
I had to send in a DS-86 form that was received on February 18th and they called me today the 19th.They said i should expect a new one sent out in a week via UPS. I'm hoping that since they called me that they are going to turn my non- receipt passport around fairly quick and issue me another one.
Old Feb 19, 2021, 12:48 pm

On Feb 23rd I have an important appointment at a brazilian consulate to naturalize my daughter and I'll need her birth certificate, but it's with her passport application, I'm very desperate, and the kicker - according to brazilian law I can only naturalize her in the country where she was born, or in brazil when she turns 18, awesome
I'd start by getting a few more copies of her birth certificate from your county or whoever manages the vital records in California. These things are cheap and often needed!
TWA884 likes this.

Last edited by crescatfloreat; Feb 19, 2021 at 12:49 pm Reason: Spelling
Old Feb 19, 2021, 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by Seattleguy10
It is not likely that get the birth certificate on time. The send the new passport first then a few days after they send the birth certificate and any other supporting documents. I would recommend applying for an expedited birth certificate if your baby was born in the US.
I did call them last week and paid for the overnight delivery, but it hasn't even been approved yet
Old Feb 19, 2021, 1:00 pm

Yes, I thought of that as well, and I ordered 2 extra copies of her birth certificate but their website states that it may take up to 6 weeks, so that was a dead end, I thought getting the state rep's help would speed things up but it made no difference so far
Old Feb 19, 2021, 1:07 pm

Yes, I thought of that as well, and I ordered 2 extra copies of her birth certificate but their website states that it may take up to 6 weeks, so that was a dead end, I thought getting the state rep's help would speed things up but it made no difference so far
you might get the passport next week but the supporting documents are sent separately via first class mail. You did the right thing by ordering more copies of the birth certificate.
Old Feb 19, 2021, 1:10 pm

Ouch. Is in-person not an option?
Old Feb 19, 2021, 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by crescatfloreat
Ouch. Is in-person not an option?
It used to be, but not anymore, at least for now they're closed. I'm out of luck =/
Old Feb 19, 2021, 1:56 pm

Programs: Delta DM 3+MM
Los Angeles Passport Agency (state.gov). There are regional passport agencies and this is in Los Angeles. Go to Los Angeles Passport Agency webpage and there are specific instructions and a number for you to call. Good luck.
Old Feb 20, 2021, 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by Mkh4ui
I had to send in a DS-86 form that was received on February 18th and they called me today the 19th.They said i should expect a new one sent out in a week via UPS. I'm hoping that since they called me that they are going to turn my non- receipt passport around fairly quick and issue me another one.
Does anyone know how long it takes to get a another passport resent? It was already approved.
Old Feb 20, 2021, 6:03 pm

Passport steps

I know the times can change from month to month, but just as a ballpark figure. How long did your passport take from the "accepted" step, to the "Mailed" step? I'm Expedited, and reside in Wisconsin.

Thanks,
- Steve
Old Feb 21, 2021, 10:19 am

Dec 17th - Mailed expedited Renewal
Jan 27th - State department received application (USPS Lost it for awhile)
Feb 17th - Approved
Feb 22nd - Scheduled for Delivery
Old Feb 21, 2021, 11:29 am

Overnight delivery

Just out of curiosity, I received an email that my son’s passport was approved ( Saturday at 10 pm). Does this mean it was approved Friday? And how do they ship it if I requested expedited shipping? USPS or UPS? Thanks
Old Feb 22, 2021, 5:17 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold. Usually WN or DL if in the air.
Originally Posted by Swolf1991
I know the times can change from month to month, but just as a ballpark figure. How long did your passport take from the "accepted" step, to the "Mailed" step? I'm Expedited, and reside in Wisconsin.

Thanks,
- Steve
3 weeks. Here's my current status - regular adult renewal of book and card; $60 expediting fee and $17.13 for expedited return shipping. The expedited return shipping by USPS Priority Mail Express, which should be overnight, has still not arrived after 5 days. That said, I am pretty sure USPS contracts with FedEx for the air transportation aspect of Express Mail, and weather related issued in Memphis sound like they have FedEx pretty screwed up as well ... so it may just be somewhere in the Memphis hub yet to be turned around.

Tue 1/19 Mailed via Priority Mail Express
Wed 1/20 USPS delivered in Philadelphia
Wed 1/27 Check cashed
Wed 1/27 Online status available as "In Process"
Fri 2/12 Email received stating status is "In Process"
Fri 2/12 Date of issuance listed on new passport book and card
Tue 2/16 Online status changed to "Approved" and email received
Tue 2/16 Email received with USPS Priority Mail Express tracking number
Wed 2/17 New passport book mailed from Tucson, AZ
Mon 2/22 New passport card received by regular mail
Tue 2/23 New passport book received

Still waiting for return of old book

Last edited by mizzou65201; Feb 24, 2021 at 2:48 pm Reason: Edit: updated w date of passpor t book received

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.