Wiki Posts
Search

Recomend some scenic drives in the US.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2010, 12:29 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold , Hyatt Globalist, United Gold
Originally Posted by UA Fan
Whats PCH?
Pacific Coast Highway ... its the same Highway 1 that everyone has been mentioning in the past set of posts.

Drek
Old Sep 23, 2010, 12:34 pm

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by Drek82
Pacific Coast Highway ... its the same Highway 1 that everyone has been mentioning in the past set of posts.

Drek
I think there are some areas where California 1 is called something other than PCH, but generally that's correct.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_State_Route_1
Old Sep 23, 2010, 12:48 pm

Programs: AAdvantage 2 million, Marriott Gold
My favs are like the others

PCH - San Fran south to LA. Gets a little boring near Oxnard (farm land, better to be inland and on the highway)

Miami - Key West

The ride from Vegas toward Utah was interesting. There was a fun gorge along the way. I was headed to Zion for a day trip.
Old Sep 23, 2010, 1:00 pm

Programs: TK M&S Elite (*G), SK EB Silver, various more or less shiny hotel cards
Book recommendation

http://shop.nationalgeographic.com/n...on---softcover
Old Sep 23, 2010, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Some that I have heard are the Seattle to PDX...
I would say no. Interstate 5 from Seattle to Portland is a grim, congested, mostly featureless slog. Avoid or take Amtrak.

Instead... my favorite drives in the US would be:

** US101 around the Olympic Peninsula, especially Crescent Lake west of Port Angeles

** Vermont Route 100 south of Waitsfield, particularly this time of year when the leaves are turning

** Interstate 93 / 91 from Concord, NH to the Canadian border

** Another vote for California 1 through Big Sur, Monterey to SLO -- that's the dramatic coastline you want

** South Dakota Route 240 south of Wall, through the Buffalo Gap National Grassland... incredible

** The road through Joshua Tree National Park in California, south of Twentynine Palms

** The loop road around Acadia National Park in Maine (have to disagree with the poster upthread about the Maine coastal road though... US Route 1... badly maintained two-lane blacktop, bumper to bumper in summer, not many ocean vistas)

** The Blue Ridge Parkway in Virginia
Old Sep 23, 2010, 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by BearX220
I would say no. Interstate 5 from Seattle to Portland is a grim, congested, mostly featureless slog. Avoid or take Amtrak.
I would just like to re-emphasize this. And unless you are driving in the summer, there is a 75% chance it will be even grimmer because it's overcast or raining. Possible exaggeration.
Old Sep 23, 2010, 4:20 pm

Fly to Phoenix. Rent a car. Drive nothwest to Wickenburg. Outside town, get on Arizona Route 89 going north. In Prescott, pick up Arizona 89A toward Sedona, through Oak Creek Canyon, and on to Flagstaff. Spend a night or two in Flagstaff and then drive north to the Grand Canyon. You can quicly return to Phoenix on the horror that is I-17.

Desert, mountains, red rock cliffs, ski lodges, buzzards picking on dead snakes on the road, all kinds of stuff.
Old Sep 23, 2010, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Whats PCH?
Pacific Coast Highway.

Added in edit: Sorry, this has been answered. The question showed up at the end of a page. Not noticing that the thread had another page, I thought it was the last post and answered the question.
Old Sep 23, 2010, 7:16 pm

Programs: UA 1MM Gold, Hertz Gold, Hyatt, Marriott
If you drive (for example from Las Vegas) into Utah to see Zion and Bryce Canyon National Parks, you will see extraordinary natural beauty along the highways that lead towards those parks. The rock formations are magnificent beyond compare. And the parks themselves: they are beyond belief incredibly scenic.

Another poster wrote about the drive along Highway 1 to Big Sur in California. It too is monumentally scenic.
Old Sep 23, 2010, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA 1M
had no idea that there were so many places, never thot the US had so much.
Old Sep 23, 2010, 8:57 pm

I have seen some pictures of amazing rugged coastline in Ireland. May I know if there is something similar in the US?
this link shows views of the Big Sur coast south of San Francisco. Absolutely gorgeous.
http://www.google.com/images?q=big+s...w=1280&bih=685
Old Sep 23, 2010, 9:17 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Practically any of the highways through the Cascade Mountains in Washington. The North Cascade Highway definitely takes the cake for that though. Lots of good stuff on the Olympic Peninsula as well.
Old Sep 23, 2010, 9:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by suthurn
this link shows views of the Big Sur coast south of San Francisco. Absolutely gorgeous.
http://www.google.com/images?q=big+s...w=1280&bih=685
the greek coastline doesn't even hold a candle to this.
Old Sep 23, 2010, 11:19 pm

Programs: DL,EK
Originally Posted by justcorbly
Fly to Phoenix. Rent a car. Drive nothwest to Wickenburg. Outside town, get on Arizona Route 89 going north. In Prescott, pick up Arizona 89A toward Sedona, through Oak Creek Canyon, and on to Flagstaff. Spend a night or two in Flagstaff and then drive north to the Grand Canyon. You can quicly return to Phoenix on the horror that is I-17.

Desert, mountains, red rock cliffs, ski lodges, buzzards picking on dead snakes on the road, all kinds of stuff.
If you head north to Utah, stop in Page, AZ for lunch at Fiesta Mexicana, a small salmon colored place on the main road. Best Mexican food we had in Arizona.
Old Sep 24, 2010, 2:51 pm

Programs: Demoted to gold, Cats protection
Originally Posted by DavidHatt
Hello OP,

I recommend driving the Blue Ridge Parkway that runs up the Appalachian Mountains from Asheville, North Carolina to West Virginia.

If you do go to Asheville, be sure to see the Biltmore Estate.

David
+1 ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.