Wiki Posts
Search

Recomend some scenic drives in the US.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2012, 9:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA 1M
Folks, starting on Monday I will be doing a six day drive in Utah/CO/AZ as follows:

http://goo.gl/maps/Hc8mB

Please let me know your thoughts.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 9:42 pm

I just did a drive from Muscat to Wadi Shab. Not the most scenic drive in the world, but with the mountains on one side, and the sea on the other, it was really nice at times.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 9:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SirJman
I just did a drive from Muscat to Wadi Shab. Not the most scenic drive in the world, but with the mountains on one side, and the sea on the other, it was really nice at times.
Thanks, but I was looking U.S. based drives.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 12:20 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards; AAdvantage; Alaska Mileage Plan; Wyndham Rewards; Choice Hotels
Interstate 5 from Redding, CA to Eugene, OR
Interstate 8 from San Diego, CA to Ocotillo, CA
Interstate 10 from Montclair, CA to Desert Center, CA
Interstate 10 from Tucson, AZ to San Antonio, TX
Interstate 10 from Henderson, LA to Baton Rouge, LA
Interstate 10 from Mobile, AL to Pensacola, FL
Interstate 15 from San Diego, CA to Sweetgrass, MT
Interstate 15 northbound descending from Mountain Pass, CA at night
Interstate 15 either direction going into Las Vegas, NV at night
Interstate 17 from Black Canyon City, AZ to Flagstaff, AZ
Interstate 25 from Santa Fe, NM to Colorado Springs, CO
Interstate 25 from Cheyenne, WY to Buffalo, WY
Interstate 35 northbound going into Duluth, MN
Interstate 40 from Barstow, CA to Adrian, TX
Interstate 40 from Cookeville, TN to Hickory, NC
Interstate 64 from Huntington, WV to Virginia Beach, VA
Interstate 68 from Morgantown, WV to Hancock, MD
Interstate 70 from Interstate 15 in UT to Denver, CO
Interstate 70 across Kansas
Interstate 70 across Missouri
Interstate 70 from Newark, OH to Frederick, MD
Interstate 75 from Ringgold, GA to Lexington, KY
Interstate 75 northbound going into Cincinnati, OH
Interstate 77 from Charlotte, NC to Charleston, WV
Interstate 79 from Charleston, WV to Erie, PA
Interstate 80 from San Francisco, CA to Sidney, NE
Interstate 80 from Youngstown, OH to Netcong, NJ
Interstate 81 entire route from east of Knoxville, TN to Alexandria Bay, NY
Interstate 82 from Yakima, WA to Hermiston, OR
Interstate 84 from Portland, OR to Echo, UT
Interstate 86 entire route from Interstate 84 to Interstate 15 in Idaho
Interstate 87 from Albany, NY to Champlain, NY
Interstate 89 in Vermont
Interstate 90 from Seattle, WA to Beloit, WI
Interstate 90 from Albany, NY to Springfield, MA
Interstate 94 from Billings, MT to Tomah, WI
Interstate 95 from Portsmouth, NH to Houlton, ME
Old Dec 21, 2012, 8:38 am

Programs: UA dirt... and btw, THE innovator of the phrase 'gate lice'. Yeah, that's right.
Originally Posted by Loose Cannon
Interstate 79 from Charleston, WV to Erie, PA
Interstate 80 from Youngstown, OH to Netcong, NJ
In general, that entire list above is pretty well, general. I mean, some of them are almost 1,000 mile stretches. Not sure thats what the OP was looking for.

Anyways, two that stick out to me:
Charleston, WV to Erie, PA? Seriously? I can understand the first part from Charleston with the mountains, but after that (roughly around where you hit the PA line), it is the epitome of just another interstate drive. There is virtually NOTHING between the PA line and Erie PA that is remotely worth turning your head for. Nothing.

Youngstown, OH to Netcong, NJ?
I believe that prison sentences can be traded out for trips across I-80 in PA.

Where did you get this list?
Old Dec 21, 2012, 8:46 am

Programs: UA dirt... and btw, THE innovator of the phrase 'gate lice'. Yeah, that's right.
A couple/few for me that come to mind…

Rt. 36 going up to or coming down from Estes National Park in CO.
Overseas Hwy to Key West.
Can’t remember *exactly* what road it is… San Marcos Pass or Rt. 154 maybe? Anyways, whatever this road is coming down into Santa Barbara from the top of the coastal range.
I always liked Rt. 101 in north central Oregon.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 8:48 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by UA Fan
Folks, starting on Monday I will be doing a six day drive in Utah/CO/AZ as follows:

http://goo.gl/maps/Hc8mB

Please let me know your thoughts.
Your route pretty exactly expresses what is one of my favorite routes to drive, ever.

You might enjoy my thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/west/...road-trip.html
Old Dec 21, 2012, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cblaisd
Your route pretty exactly expresses what is one of my favorite routes to drive, ever.

You might enjoy my thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/west/...road-trip.html
Would it be too much per day? I don't plan on spending a lot of time at each park.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 8:54 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
The only day I'd have reservations about is day 3. That's a long pull. I'd probably go south from Moab through Monument Valley and overnight in Kayenta (one of the nicest Hampton Inns ever there -- and the fascinating Navajo Code Talker Museum next door in, of all places, the Burger King). Page lodging choices are mediocre, but I would spend an hour there at the John Wesley Powell museum.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 12:09 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards; AAdvantage; Alaska Mileage Plan; Wyndham Rewards; Choice Hotels
Originally Posted by PSUhorty

Where did you get this list?

Personal Experience That's just Interstates I've listed. You oughtta try driving across PA in the fall when the colours are at their peak
Old Dec 21, 2012, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Does anyone else have the impression that the Midwest and west are significantly more scenic than the rest? The south is bland the northeast is average. Its like if one draws a straight line through TX everything to left is much better than the right.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Does anyone else have the impression that the Midwest and west are significantly more scenic than the rest? The south is bland the northeast is average. Its like if one draws a straight line through TX everything to left is much better than the right.
I have taken dozens of roadtrips - we're not talking a two day drive from Denver to LA but rather a one to two week trip by road specifically intended to go out and discover as much of our beautiful country as possible. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. While I am more partial to the wide open spaces of the west (see my "Road Memory" link below), there are some spectacularly beautiful drives back east. In a general sense, just about any road through New York's Adirondack State Park is gorgeous - especially in the fall. It's hard to argue that central and northern New Hampshire and Vermont aren't every bit as beautiful as driving through Utah or California - it's just a different kind of beauty. I recently took a road trip through northern Wisconsin and Michigan's Upper Peninsula. I wish I'd had a few more days to check out some of the many side roads.

Farther to the south, there are some very pretty drives through Virginia, West Virginia and North Carolina. Try driving the river road along the Ohio River into Cincinnati or any number of small roads through rural Florida or the deep south and then try and tell me the west is "significantly" more beautiful than the east. As a rule I try to avoid the interstates and stick to the old state and federal highways. Take a sense of adventure and curiosity along and you'll find beauty through much of the country regardless of where you are.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 10:51 am

West side is the best side

There's some pretty cool stuff scenery wise in New England and along the Appalachians. That's about it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.