Reload this Page >

Recomend some scenic drives in the US.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Recomend some scenic drives in the US.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2010, 5:31 pm

Programs: AA 1MM/Lifetime Gold; DL PM, HiltonHonors Gold, Priority Club Platinum
The drive from Sedona, AZ up to Flagstaff, AZ through Oak Creek Canyon is beautiful (Highway 89A). You'll ascend from the red rock country around Sedona up to the Ponderosa pine forests on the Colorado Plateau. And as long as you are in that neck of the woods, you might as well head up to the South Rim of the Grand Canyon and then drive the rim road (Highway 64) between the Nat'l Park HQ at Grand Canyon Village to Cameron, AZ (on the Navajo Indian Reservation), taking advantage of the various viewpoints along the way.
Old Sep 30, 2010, 8:40 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Originally Posted by Black Adder
I-70 from Denver until it ends in Utah at I-15. Spectacular views.
+1

That drive from Denver to Moab is one thing I definitely miss about not visiting the States anymore. Fantastic. Old mining towns,ski resorts, mountains,Eisenhower tunnel,Glenwood Canyon(anyone who ever was into model railroads as a kid will love that),high desert around Fruita,etc. Plus the driving once you get out of Denver is so unstressful.^
Old Oct 1, 2010, 7:35 am

Programs: Dirt Status w/ All
Originally Posted by Gardyloo
I'd skip the FS roads and most of those back ways; you'll be eating up too much time. <snip>
Thanks for the great info! Hopefully the weather cooperates.
Old Oct 26, 2010, 10:29 pm
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Originally Posted by tev9999
Thanks for the great info! Hopefully the weather cooperates.
Thought I'd top this thread as this trip approaches. Over the past 24 hours it's snowed 41 inches at Paradise Inn on Mt. Rainier.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by Black Adder
I-70 from Denver until it ends in Utah at I-15. Spectacular views.
Did this a few weeks ago, and I concur. Some of the drives were right through canyons and was breathtaking.

Originally Posted by Gardyloo
The Seward Highway between Anchorage and Portage, Alaska;
Maybe it was b/c of cloudy weather, but the route till Portage was average, the road from Portage till Kenai ford was amazing.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 11:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
California Coastal Highway, Road to Hana, Road on west Maui, Coastal Drive BI, or the highway through BI
Old Jan 19, 2011, 11:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
California coast from San Diego to the Oregon border, although it is really beautiful into Oregon as well.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 2:56 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Arizona:
AZ-87 from Scottsdale to Payson
AZ-89A from Sedona to Flagstaff

California:
CA-1 from Santa Monica to Point Mugu (as far as I've gone, I'm sure it's great north of here)
CA-1 from Santa Cruz to Carmel
The 17 Mile Drive in Monterey
CA-17 from Mountain View to Santa Cruz

North Carolina:
NC-12 on the Outer Banks
NC-49 from Charlotte to Asheboro
Old Jan 20, 2011, 8:52 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, AA Advantage
Going along the Pacific Coast on the 101
US-2 Thru Glacier Park
Old Jan 21, 2011, 12:05 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CMK10
Arizona:
AZ-87 from Scottsdale to Payson
AZ-89A from Sedona to Flagstaff

California:
CA-1 from Santa Monica to Point Mugu (as far as I've gone, I'm sure it's great north of here)
CA-1 from Santa Cruz to Carmel
The 17 Mile Drive in Monterey
CA-17 from Mountain View to Santa Cruz

North Carolina:
NC-12 on the Outer Banks
NC-49 from Charlotte to Asheboro
Regarding California:

SR17 doesn't start in Mountain View, it starts where 280 hits 880, there, 880 becomes 17. I don't think it's that scenic. And if the driver gets distracted for a moment on this very busy mountain freeway, it can be very dangerous.

I'd certainly add SR89 around Lake Tahoe and many other parts as well. Also most mountain roads, such as SR108 (Sonora Pass), SR120 (Tioga Pass), SR140 (Yosemite Valley), SR198 (Sequoia Park loop), and on and on! In winter there are the desert roads, SR190 & 178 (Death Valley) and others.

Also SR1 in the northern part of the state has some beautiful stretches.

In Hawaii, don't forget the road around Kaua'i and up into the mountains.

I have to say that people who view the Blue Ridge Parkway as beautiful have never driven on a really scenic road. It's pleasant and even pretty in spots, but that's about it. Maybe the best you can do in the southeast, though.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 4:05 pm

Programs: AWA Platinum;hhonors Diamond
Santa Fe, NM to Taos, NM

I think the drive from Santa Fe to Taos is beautiful. Especially via the high road to Taos.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 12:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
CA 49 trough California is one of my favorites, as are CA 4, 88, 89, 108 and 120. US 395 from Washington to southern CA must be up there too.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 4:00 am
Suspended

The Woodford Valley from Amesbury to Salisbury in Wiltshire, UK.

Millions of tourists come within a few hundred yards of this road but thankfully few of them know of its existence.

This is perfect walking country, rich in archaeological treasures, such as Bronze Age barrows and Stonehenge, Wiltshire's most famous prehistoric monument, with the valley dotted with chocolate-box villages filled with idyllic thatched cottages.

It's only about 7 miles long but winds through an undulating chalk valley following the course of the River Avon, one of the best trout-fishing rivers in England.

There are a few houses - ranging from small thatched cottages to grand country mansions,one of which is owned by Sting - and a couple of pubs that could have been the template for every Olde England tavern you've ever seen.

When I was younger I used to run the valley but since I moved away from the area I only get the occasional drive down it once every few years - early morning mid-winter with mist on the river is magical but mid-summer with the hedgerows in full bloom is my favourite time.

Edit: Just noticed OP mentioned routes in the US !

Last edited by Showbizguru; Jan 24, 2011 at 4:07 am
Old Jan 8, 2012, 8:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA 1M
Anymore recomendations? I am considering doing a PCH and Yosemite tour, how many days would I need? I am not someone who spends too much time in one place. My style is to see just the highlights of a place.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 10:40 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

I recommend the 405 from Northridge to Long Beach

(Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.