Wiki Posts
Search

No service in First Class

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2008, 5:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by PineyBob
Lack of a Pre-Departure beverage assuming boarding starts on time is part of the amenities offered to elites who are upgraded and also paid First Class.

This is a Pet Peeve of mine. Holding the customers feet to the fire on EVERY rule or policy and then trying to back peddle and hide behind real and made up policies.

From Early March through June I kept track of Flight Numbers, Boarding times and the number of time there was no pre departure drinks were served.

Once I got to 15 flights, I compiled the information and wrote the executive offices with the information along with a request for a voucher in the amout of $105.00 (15 drinks x $7.00).

Got a follow up call where they tried to backpeddle and I read them the paragraph from the DM rules and I now have the voucher.

You have to crawl up their assets but if enough people do then things change in favor of the customer.

I wouldn't let this rest for even a half second.
^ Good for you.
Old Dec 28, 2008, 5:47 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by I_Hate_US_Airways
I thought all their Elites switched airlines back on June 28th!

Fly More & Get A Better Seat
Yep we do fly, but ONLY for the miles (for BD*G members 125% mileage credit in Coach, regardless of the revenue booking class used, 225% credit in Envoy and 325% credit in First - even when the A-class upgrade comes complimentary on the domestic feeders to and from Envoy transatlantic flights) - otherwise I would fly UA, or even enroll myself into Delta program.
Old Dec 28, 2008, 6:50 am

Programs: US Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hertz 5-Star
Originally Posted by macabus
Yesterday I flew LAX-PHX in F and was appalled that there was no service - nothing.

I asked for a glass of wine after boarding, but was told no pre-departure drinks.

The FA never once stood up during the entire flight. I asked her for a glass of wine and was told the captain had not turned off the seat belt sign - despite a perfectly smooth flight.

It was truly unbelievable.

Has anyone else experienced something like this with US?
Yes...All of the time.

I have been on several flights on Alaska Airlines\Horizon Air between Seattle and Victoria (25 minutes) where they served all of the passengers on plane with a drink. Yes...the plane wasn't a 737 or an Airbus 319/320 but there are still 37 passengers with only one FA (compared to 3 FA to handle 120+ passengers on a 737/A319/A320). Also, I have been on several Alaska Airlines\Horizon Air flights between SEA and PDX (less than a hour) and drinks were served to the whole plane (37-74 seats).
Old Dec 28, 2008, 5:44 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
I have flown about 6-8 segments in F on US in the past few months, the longest being about an hour and a half wheels up to touchdown, the shortest being about 25 minutes (RDU-CLT). Pre-flight service had happened maybe once, maybe not at all. I don't think there was any service on RDU-CLT. The others, they have at least offered drinks and the snack basket after we took off. In plastic cups, of course.
Old Dec 28, 2008, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by ArizonaRoadWarrior
Also, I have been on several Alaska Airlines\Horizon Air flights between SEA and PDX (less than a hour) and drinks were served to the whole plane (37-74 seats).
They ever offer a free beer or wine on those flights as well
Old Dec 28, 2008, 6:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
I seldom fly US but recently was on a paid F flight DEN-CLT. A wonderful F/A; great personality, very generous with the drinks (I only asked for Diet Coke ) but was very surprised that she only offered pre-packaged snacks on a flight that long during what should have been a dinner flight.
Old Dec 29, 2008, 11:40 am

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Southwest A-List Preferred
On a recent LAX-LAS flight, I was able to have 3 drinks! Flight was bumpy, but the crew did a good job making sure 3 of us in F were taken care of.

I've never encountered the "zero-service" flight before.
Old Dec 29, 2008, 4:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AAirpass, & CK 2MM, MR Plat Premier, DL Plat, US Plat, UA RECOVERING GS
Oddly I pulled up the US Forum to post a complaint about this very issue. Last week CLT-TPA in F we had one service right after take off. All the glasses were served +- 1/2 full (no second pour on a foaming cup), held out for us to grab, and that was it. No snack basket, no second drink, nothing. Trash bag was walked down the aisle 20 minutes before landing.
Old Dec 29, 2008, 6:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DillMan
Oddly I pulled up the US Forum to post a complaint about this very issue. Last week CLT-TPA in F we had one service right after take off. All the glasses were served +- 1/2 full (no second pour on a foaming cup), held out for us to grab, and that was it. No snack basket, no second drink, nothing. Trash bag was walked down the aisle 20 minutes before landing.
I feel your pain, but I would have been very grateful for 1/2 glass of wine in the late afternoon on the tail end of a long trip from Shanghai...

Unfortunately, I have very few options for other *A carriers to PHX from intl. gateway cities. Most of the UA flights are Ted.
Old Jan 6, 2009, 1:56 pm

Programs: HHonors, US, UA, Marriott
US has slacked off so much, but I think it comes down to the FAs and how nice they feel like being. About 8 years ago, I used to fly US from RDU-CLT every Monday morning. Even on that short hop (though on a Fokker 100 jet), I had pre-departure drinks, snack basket, and possibly possibly once in the air. I'm not sure if we had any in the air...maybe I shouldn't have had so many drinks...
Most recently, I took a short LH flight in business class from MUC to STR and received a drink and light lunch on this very short flight. Actual flying time seemed to be about 20-25 minutes, and the nice FA even spotted me a 2nd beer.
I've taken US from IAD/DCA to CLT and then CLT to MIA/TPA. Very mixed service across the flights. One of them didn't have any beverage service.
Old Jan 7, 2009, 10:24 am

Originally Posted by coachrowsey
Why would anyone pay F on these flights?
Coach, you took the words right out of my mouth. I absolutely refuse to pay on US at all, let alone a short hop, especially since paid F on US is actually almost always more expensive than paid F on other carriers (e.g., AA or DL), when common sense would seem to dictate the oppostie being true.
Old Jan 7, 2009, 10:39 am

Programs: HHonors, US, UA, Marriott
...just for the space...

I've coughed up the $50 for the F up-sell on some flights between DCA/IAD - CLT - TPA on the regional jets. I guess it was worth it just because of the extra space and, to a much lesser extent, not having to pay for drinks. I'm no longer elite and definitely miss the days when I would get the "free" upgrades with being CP. I would definitely not pay for F outright, i.e. full fare or other promotional F fare.

Originally Posted by goheelswks
Coach, you took the words right out of my mouth. I absolutely refuse to pay on US at all, let alone a short hop, especially since paid F on US is actually almost always more expensive than paid F on other carriers (e.g., AA or DL), when common sense would seem to dictate the oppostie being true.
Old Jan 7, 2009, 11:05 am

We flew CLT-MCO in F the afternoon of Dec. 20. We boarded on time ... no pre-departure drinks. About 20 minutes we were offered drinks, which the FA made in the galley, and the snack basket. The FA did come through again and offered a refill ... which again was made in the galley. DH got up and asked for another refill which he was given ... of course the clean-up service was right behind him.

Interestingly there were two empty seats in F. We did have a medical emergency on board which expedited our landing.

On our return MCO-CLT in F around noon on Dec. 26 we received a pre-departure drink. We then had beverage service (we were given the miniatures and mixer) followed by the snack basket. There was another beverage service as well.

I fly solo to GSO-CLT-AUA-PHL-GSO later this month in F (not the GSO-CLT or PHL-GSO legs). Will report back after those flights.
Old Jan 7, 2009, 12:26 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, MR-PP
While this is US forum my experience is on CO.

I am trying to compare it to US.

CLT-IAH-OKC

US doesn't fly to OKC and last attempt to reach it on UA ended up in disaster so I opted for CO. When I called US they offered me UA codeshare for around $2000!!!! While CO was less then $500 all in.

It was true that both legs were on barbie jet (ERJ-145 I think) but I got isle seats and even A on my way back. On CLT-IAH morning flight muffins and free drinks. On IAH-CLT small sandwich (choice of turkey and ham - I don't eat meat so not good for me but still, free food!) and free drinks.

Even on sort OKC-IAH flight drinks were served and pretzels!

So quarter of the price, free meals and drinks.
Old Jan 7, 2009, 12:59 pm

You know, on these short flights your better off with WN in coach than US in first. On WN you will get a free cocktail, with real peanuts, and a FA who will come back and ask if you want another on a 50 minute flight. You want a blanket and pillow, no problem. You most likely will be on schedule, have no change fees, no baggage fees, no reservation fees etc and a fully transferable ticket if you don't fly. The only thing US is offering is a bigger dirty FC seat with amusing grafitti on the seat in front of you to read.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.