Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No service in First Class

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2009, 2:13 am

Programs: American Gold; SW A list; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Gold
Smile B Y O G (Bring your own glass.....)

I've got a tacky, 50 cent wine glass from Goodwill that I carry on US Airways flights, in a small plastic bag, in my carry-on. (Actually, on my 3rd glass by now--my previous tacky ones broke over the time that plastic has replaced glass...) When I am in F, I don't use for pre-departure bev--and I would say I get those about half the time on my regular LAS-CMH route. But I have noticed that once airborne and bevs are served the "glass" is recognized by the F FA and commented upon, --on the last flight, he even called a FA from the back to look at it. And generally, the F FAs really remember to keep that wine glass filled.

Maybe it would work on other beverages, too. (Just haven't tried.) Wrong to have to provide your own glassware? Of course! But it works for me....

(I also carry my own pillow and own blanket, too, but that's a topic for another day....)

BTW, Mr. Preguntas just flew on WN today, a flight from CMH to LAS. He reports that the FAs charged for the first drink--then said, "Anyone who bought a cocktail--refills are on us" for the rest of the flight, per the captain. .... Hmmmm, $7 per drink vs. one fee ($3 or $4) and refills all the way???? An interesting strategy!!!!
Old Jan 8, 2009, 6:21 am

I've noticed that pre-departure drinks are hit and miss..more miss than hit with me.

I was in Row 1 on the last flight out of CLT to my destination one evening and the flight ended up being held 10 to 15 minutes waiting for connecting passengers. I watched the FA sit on her rear for this entire time reading a magazine. It would have been nice to have a beverage during this time.

Last week CLT/MSY there was no pre-drink service, one trip down the aisle with drinks and later snack basket, and that was it. Funny that I received the USAirways survey via e-mail when I returned..I trashed them on the level of service.
Old Jan 8, 2009, 6:23 am

Originally Posted by MrMan
You know, on these short flights your better off with WN in coach than US in first. On WN you will get a free cocktail, with real peanuts, and a FA who will come back and ask if you want another on a 50 minute flight. You want a blanket and pillow, no problem. You most likely will be on schedule, have no change fees, no baggage fees, no reservation fees etc and a fully transferable ticket if you don't fly. The only thing US is offering is a bigger dirty FC seat with amusing grafitti on the seat in front of you to read.
I am a newbie here on FT so please excuse my ignorance ...

Which airline is WN?

TIA!
Old Jan 8, 2009, 7:07 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Gold, Marriott Gold Elite
Originally Posted by JSL6
I am a newbie here on FT so please excuse my ignorance ...

Which airline is WN?

TIA!
Southwest.

This site has the codes.
http://www.milemaven.com/airlines
Old Jan 8, 2009, 7:56 am

Programs: HH Gold; AA AAdvantage Mbr; DL Skymiles Silver Medallion; World of Hyatt Mbr; NK Free Spirit Mbr
Originally Posted by macabus
I feel your pain, but I would have been very grateful for 1/2 glass of wine in the late afternoon on the tail end of a long trip from Shanghai...

Unfortunately, I have very few options for other *A carriers to PHX from intl. gateway cities. Most of the UA flights are Ted.
WHY should anyone feel grateful for getting 1/2 of something, the WHOLE of which should be provided anyway? Customer complacency is the reason US won't change anything.

Another pet peeve of mine is INCONSISTENCY. Is anyone making sure SOP's are followed? Are there any consequences if they're not? The only thing an airline has to differentiate itself with is SERVICE. Why doesn't US (and some other airlines) see that??
Old Jan 8, 2009, 7:58 am

Originally Posted by CAPT Tee
Southwest.

This site has the codes.
http://www.milemaven.com/airlines
Thanks for the info!
Old Jan 8, 2009, 3:50 pm

Programs: AA, ANA, JAL, NW/DL, Marriott Silver, Avis First
I've been on short flights where service usually offered was not offered for one good reason--the crew members were instructed by pilots to remain seated due to expected turbulence. But on my flights the Captain did announce the FAs would stay seated and apologized for the lack of service. Of course, safety first, so I didn't have a problem with it.
Old Jan 9, 2009, 2:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Yesterday I flew Asiana in F from PVG-ICN and was served a three-course meal on the one-hour flight.

I was also served five glasses of top-quality champagne and two glasses of a grand Cru Burgundy.

That's why yesterday's US flight was such a shock, especially after the incredible ICN-LAX trip in OZ F.
You had 7 glasses of wine in one hour?
Old Jan 9, 2009, 3:03 pm

Programs: US Chairmans, AA Lifetime Gold, SPG Platinum
In 90 flights on US in 2008, mostly SNA-PHX or SNA-LAS, and mostly in F, I would put pre-departure bevs at 75% or so. There was ONE flight as described by the OP where no service whatsoever took place.

It is interesting to hear "due to the short duration of the flight" that nothing can be served by US in SoCal...while BA serves a full lunch on 45 minute flights to DUB and AMS from LHR/LGW...
Old Jan 9, 2009, 4:53 pm

Like redstripeflyer and TPA I too fly paid First on US..

And for the same reasons...

1. Excellent crediting to my FF program given the price (US is always cheaper than UA in F on the routes I fly.. and it needs to be *A so I haven't looked at others)

2. A bigger seat.... (and drinks..and food where offered)

My experience has been (obviously from what I read on FT) at the better end of US's performance.. hence I have little to complain about... yet.

Always been served drinks on the short flights, and (so far) always had an edible meal on the longer ones... FA's have ranged from poor to very good.. just like my experiences on other airlines in fact..

My latest booking is a 6 flight trip.. from PDX to PIT then a week later back to ABQ via the usual connections both ways... F was less than twice the price of Y... and given the program credits I'll get - and the extra comfort on the long segs - it was not a hard choice to make...

This is a case where YMM truly V!!!
Old Jan 9, 2009, 6:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Noanker1
You had 7 glasses of wine in one hour?
Yup.

And then I connected to the Asiana ICN-LAX flight in F and had:
5-6 glasses of vintage $150/bottle champagne
2-3 glasses of first-growth Bordeaux
2-3 glasses of red Grand Cru Burgundy
1 glass of amazing white Grand Cru burgundy
1 glass of exquisite white German wine
1 glass of 20 year old port

I really don't drink much in normal life, but I totally indulge when flying international F.

My personal best is 7 bottles of Dom on SQ F from LAX-NRT-SIN-BKK over a 30 hour period - Most incredible buzz of my life.

Of course it's imperative to have a driver pick you up at the airport and then spend the remainder of the day at a world-class spa.

YMMV.
Old Jan 9, 2009, 7:14 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador & LT Titanium, UA Silver, AA PLT
Yup.

And then I connected to the Asiana ICN-LAX flight in F and had:
5-6 glasses of vintage $150/bottle champagne
2-3 glasses of first-growth Bordeaux
2-3 glasses of red Grand Cru Burgundy
1 glass of amazing white Grand Cru burgundy
1 glass of exquisite white German wine
1 glass of 20 year old port

I really don't drink much in normal life, but I totally indulge when flying international F.

My personal best is 7 bottles of Dom on SQ F from LAX-NRT-SIN-BKK over a 30 hour period - Most incredible buzz of my life.

Of course it's imperative to have a driver pick you up at the airport and then spend the remainder of the day at a world-class spa.

YMMV.
Jesus! I considered myself a "seasoned" drinker and I think that the only thing incredible I'd be doing is vomiting like I have the plague after 7 bottles of anything.
Old Jan 9, 2009, 8:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by newbiztraveler
Jesus! I considered myself a "seasoned" drinker and I think that the only thing incredible I'd be doing is vomiting like I have the plague after 7 bottles of anything.
Agreed 100%.

Only in the past year has SQ begun serving the 2000 vintage of Dom P. This is remarkable for the fact that it's the most incredible champagne I've tasted since the 1990.

One sip leads to another, leads to another, etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.