Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Barclay US Airways Card Becoming AAdvantage Mastercard

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2014, 11:35 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA Plat, VS Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by taxicabnumber
Oh cool, didn't know this -- that's really interesting. How long is that valid for?
Not sure, more info here: http://boardingarea.com/viewfromthew...irways-merger/

Pursuant to the Advance Purchase, Citibank has been granted a first-priority lien on certain of American’s AAdvantage program assets, and a second lien on the collateral that secures the Senior Secured Notes.
The second lien includes things like AA's Narita and Heathrow slots and route authorities. The BK valuation of AAdvantage was around $4 billion.. AA is not going to back out of the Citi contract. Period.
Old May 17, 2014, 3:19 pm

Any word on what's changing for BUSINESS cards?
Old May 17, 2014, 3:41 pm

Programs: US Airways Gold, Marriott Platinum, SW A List

I'd imagine business card changes will be the same.
Old May 17, 2014, 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by heyeaglefn
I'd imagine business card changes will be the same.
IIRC, their benefits are different, though
Old May 17, 2014, 3:45 pm

Programs: US Airways Gold, Marriott Platinum, SW A List

Shouldn't matter, Citi is going to not allow any good benefits on cards that aren't theirs.
Old May 17, 2014, 6:20 pm

Programs: AA, UA, SQ, VA, QF, AF, BA
Originally Posted by dw
Wow, so this basically aligns the benefits with the Citi AA offerings.

I wonder what is going to happen to the 10,000 mi anniversary bonus for those that have a card with that offer?
That's the only reason I have been keeping my card. If it goes, I go.

I would also like to know about the 10k rebate on awards. What if you have both a Citi AA card and the Barclays US card. Do you get 10k rebate for each card? Maybe if you split the booking, pay for outbound with Citi, return with Barclays on separate PNRs?
Old May 17, 2014, 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by Tiki
That's the only reason I have been keeping my card. If it goes, I go.

I would also like to know about the 10k rebate on awards. What if you have both a Citi AA card and the Barclays US card. Do you get 10k rebate for each card? Maybe if you split the booking, pay for outbound with Citi, return with Barclays on separate PNRs?
For the Citi AA product, it does not matter what card you pay with. Rather, it's a flag attached it your account, and I would assume the Barclay AA card will operate in the same way.
Old May 19, 2014, 3:03 pm

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
This is horrible. The best perks of this card are gone.

Last edited by Microwave; May 20, 2014 at 4:30 am Reason: IMG tags replaced with URL tags due to image size
Old May 19, 2014, 5:20 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by tommyleo
This is horrible. The best perks of this card are gone.
Yep. After the pending charge on this card posts I will zero out the balance and close the card. The benefits are exactly the same at the Citi AAdvantage card. I applied for this card as a hedge due to anticipated merger in the hope that the benefits would continue.
Old May 19, 2014, 8:05 pm

Programs: AAdvantage - Executive Platinum
I wonder if they'll do the same with my Bank of America Visa Signature Card.

Grrrrrrrrrr
Old May 19, 2014, 8:10 pm

Programs: AAExP, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, IHG Spire, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by ajfitz
I wonder if they'll do the same with my Bank of America Visa Signature Card.

Grrrrrrrrrr
Let's not even go there. I am hoping BOA has a very special relationship with DM insofar that there are only a few (comparitively speaking) who still have that card (I'm one ;-) )
Old May 20, 2014, 4:30 am

Programs: US Airways, American Airlines, United
I do not know how they can state that "Exciting New Benefits Are Coming" with a straight face. The $100 flight discount and 25% off in-flight purchases are jokes. The claim of additional redemption flexibility will equally apply to those who do not have the card. I could have dealt with the loss of the companion tickets or the loss of converting to 10,000 preferred miles but not both. I have two Barclays US mastercards and I assume I will be closing them out at the end of this year since the "Exciting New Benefits" for 2015 do not really excite me.

I have been a loyal US Airways customer for years but it looks like I will be a free agent in 2016. I am curious if this saves the new AA money. I will probably not be flying with them as much and certainly spending less on their affiliated credit cards. As I suspected, the merger is a case of less product for more money.
Old May 20, 2014, 5:24 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
+1

This is exactly what the merger is all about for the majority of us.

Take some solace, however, that if and when you do buy an F seat for an AA flight in 2015, your drinks will be served in a glass. This would not happen to a US flyer were it not for the merger.
Old May 20, 2014, 7:12 am

Programs: Hhonors Silver, Aadvantage Platinum
Loyalty Gone

Originally Posted by pkr529
I do not know how they can state that "Exciting New Benefits Are Coming" with a straight face. The $100 flight discount and 25% off in-flight purchases are jokes. The claim of additional redemption flexibility will equally apply to those who do not have the card. I could have dealt with the loss of the companion tickets or the loss of converting to 10,000 preferred miles but not both. I have two Barclays US mastercards and I assume I will be closing them out at the end of this year since the "Exciting New Benefits" for 2015 do not really excite me.

I have been a loyal US Airways customer for years but it looks like I will be a free agent in 2016. I am curious if this saves the new AA money. I will probably not be flying with them as much and certainly spending less on their affiliated credit cards. As I suspected, the merger is a case of less product for more money.
It is the same for me. I have been a loyal customer of USAirways for more than 15 years. At the end of the year, my loyalty will expire along with the 10,000 pqm benefit and the companion cert. I will move to the Arrival Plus card if they will switch me. I will find out how United and Delta are to fly.
Old May 20, 2014, 7:34 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
I'm looking at three different unlinked cards...

The Arrival Plus card from Barclay
The Capital One Venture card
The Chase Sapphire card

And one linked card

The Citi AAdvantage executive card.

Not too much familiarity with the bank cards, but I am intrigued by the Citi AAdvantage card. The $450 annual fee is significant, but it includes an Admirals Club membership. And, you get 10k PQMs for 40k in spend.

Anyone have this last card and want to share experiences with it?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.