Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 8, 2014, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: awaflyboy
This is the current US boarding process:

1. Special assists
2. First Class & Uniformed Military
3. Emerald & Saphire (Chairman, Exec. Platinum, Platinum, US Gold)
4. Ruby (US Silver & AA Gold)
5. Preferred Access
4. Zone 1
5. Zone 2 (including US Visa Signature and MasterCard World Premier credit card holders)
6. Zones 3, 4, 5 and depending on the aircraft, Zone 6.
Print Wikipost

New Boarding Process, beginning 1/7/2014

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2014, 8:41 pm

Programs: None
Which amounts to "If I'm in FC I want to be able to stow my bag in the FC OHB" and "If I'm elite I want to get on while there's room for by bag in the OHBs". I suspect that half of those sitting in FC would just as soon board last if the OHBs in FC stayed empty except for other FC passengers bags. The other half want to settle in and get their PDB.

Jim
Old Jan 16, 2014, 6:01 am

Programs: MR & SPG Plat, BA Silver, AA Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by LSUTigerWes
Boarding will always be a cluster. No matter how it is done, research has shown that it makes little, if any, difference in boarding time.
I'm curious to hear more about this, and I guess I'm reluctant to give up that there isn't a better solution. I know there are a lot of x factors like human behavior, but ultimately boarding is still a process. A process has one flow and can always be optimized. I've read articles about boarding back to front, outside in, etc. But it varies from airline to airline.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 10:44 am

HP actually hired a UofA professor to come up with their boarding procedure and he came up with the reverse pyramid - outer seats to inner seats and back to front (excluding FC). But what the professor said in his report was equally stunning - that WN's old "cattle call" approach was actually faster since people, left to their own devices, generally spread out relatively uniformly and got settled in pretty quickly. So having a boarding card with your place in line and picking your own seat once on the plane was the best solution.

Of course, all the exceptions to the "reverse pyramid" process - credit card holders, elites, families, military, etc - mean that HP/US didn't use that process in the way that supposedly made it more efficient.

Jim
Old Jan 16, 2014, 11:14 am

Programs: US Chairman, M&M FTL
Originally Posted by pa3lsvt
I've seen UA gates where they have five separate lanes (AUS comes to mind), presumably one for each zone. I've wondered why that can't be done everywhere, and then I fly out of B/C or F at PHL and remember why.
In gates with a lot of space, that works. In crammed gates, this end up a mess - you need to cross the zones 3-5 lines to get to the smaller numbered zones (or there is not enough space for everyone and zone 5 passengers (that seem to always be first to line up) take up all the space anyway. It is a good idea in general but...
Old Jan 16, 2014, 2:56 pm

Programs: AA PLT, Marriott LTP
Another vote for the UA method. My experience has been they have signage and lanes for each zone. Seems a lot easier to get a mass of people thru 5 or 6 lanes than 2. Room is always an issue but if UA can make it work (and they're not making much else work lately is seems) AA can too.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 4:23 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
At IAH today they boarded CLT and PHL at the exact time at adjacent gates. I was CLT.

For the PHL flight they called special assistance first, then altogether first class, us air chairman, as executive platinum, and uniformed military.

Concurrently at CLT, they called special assistance first. Then first class. Then chairman and American executive platinum. I boarded with the chairman and the lady in front of me was accepted to board even though her boarding pass read platinum. She did not have an exit row seat.

Why would management let two gates within earshot of each other who can hear one another's boarding calls do two separate processes?

Last edited by aztimm; Jan 16, 2014 at 4:39 pm
Old Jan 16, 2014, 9:03 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, MR-PP
Two equipments were vastly different in size E90 and A320. That would explain why slight difference.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 9:10 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, Marriott Rewards Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond, TK M&S Elite
Mad rush on a delayed flight 474 from PHX-MSP Tuesday... Called first class and all elites ( aa and us) together...mad rush... I get to seat 1D and the oh bin is FULL. I say out loud this is BULL----- there were about 6 elites (I'm guessing aa) in y staring at their feet- no bags in the coach ohb. Flight attendants swarmed over me " let me take your coat,we' ll get your bags fitted etc." the gate agents can't be lax in this process. Chaos will ensue!
Old Jan 17, 2014, 8:18 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, HH Diamond, National Executive
It does seem like there isn't much consistency. On PHX to MKE they did it exactly how this thread explains. On MKE to PHX they went with F, then EXP and CP, then the rest of the elites.
Old Jan 17, 2014, 10:11 am

Programs: UA (lame duck)1K, US Plat,HHonors Diamond, PC Plat, SPG Plat, MR Platinum
Originally Posted by pdpgps
I have some experience in operational excellence and studying process flows. I came up with this idea of using a visual boarding process in which the boarding area has clearly marked lanes and maybe shaded carpet areas so we prevent buildups during boarding.

1) Visual cues help create easy to follow instructions
2) Possibly board by color? Not by zone number? This reduces the "degrading" feeling of being zone 5 vs "priority" which also translates into "privileged" hierarchy.
3) Creation of a new floormat in which your areas are clearly defined by a "box" area.
4) L shaped queue can reduce the flow of people traffic into the central walking areas (ie that center corridor where gates are on either side leaving the middle unobstructed for traffic)
5) Prevention of the boarding queue into the gate agent's line

feedback welcome! Wishful thinking..hoping someone from US/AA will take some our feedback.
Not a bad idea but space an issue. Can you imagine this layout attempted in Terminal F at PHL?

They can't even get the PA to work in F and are often just yelling to the masses.
Old Jan 17, 2014, 11:16 am

Programs: Days of Our Lives, General Hospital
Originally Posted by jkburns1
They can't even get the PA to work in F and are often just yelling to the masses.
All too true.

And yet the announcements for boarding in A-West are perfectly audible in Terminal F.
Old Jan 17, 2014, 12:20 pm

Programs: WFBF
Originally Posted by jkburns1
Not a bad idea but space an issue. Can you imagine this layout attempted in Terminal F at PHL?

I'm just thinking about all the RJ-farm terminals I've been in, and how there's no way this could work without turning them into literal as well as figurative cattle pens.
Old Jan 18, 2014, 11:25 am

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
If they made all the planes so you'd board in the middle of the plane (or have a door in front and door in back), I think that'd help make boarding be more efficient. The problem with the current method on all airlines is the bottleneck that is made. By having 2 ways to board or to have everyone split off in the middle, which would effectively make 2 ways to board, it would probably speed things up. I doubt this will ever happen, but I think it'd make boarding more efficient.
Old Jan 18, 2014, 11:30 am

Originally Posted by GNRMatt
If they made all the planes so you'd board in the middle of the plane (or have a door in front and door in back), I think that'd help make boarding be more efficient. The problem with the current method on all airlines is the bottleneck that is made. By having 2 ways to board or to have everyone split off in the middle, which would effectively make 2 ways to board, it would probably speed things up. I doubt this will ever happen, but I think it'd make boarding more efficient.
2 doors on each side is pretty standard except for RJs. The problem is getting the jetway to a door in front of as well as behind the wing, which is far more common than 2 doors on the same side of the wing.

Jim
Old Jan 18, 2014, 12:43 pm

Programs: MR & SPG Plat, BA Silver, AA Gold, UA Silver
New Boarding Process, beginning 1/7/2014

On the topic of multiple jetbridges, LH in Munich used two jetbridges to board the A330. One for first and business class, one for everyone else. I wouldn't mind a two jet bridge approach but certainly space would be an issue in the US. You would also need possibly two gate agents attaching a jet bridge. This would be nice domestically for wide body flight boarding.

CLT is dumb in the regard that at the ends of Terminal B and C they too many gates that nearly overlap each other. Boarding is a nightmare.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.