Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 8, 2014, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: awaflyboy
This is the current US boarding process:

1. Special assists
2. First Class & Uniformed Military
3. Emerald & Saphire (Chairman, Exec. Platinum, Platinum, US Gold)
4. Ruby (US Silver & AA Gold)
5. Preferred Access
4. Zone 1
5. Zone 2 (including US Visa Signature and MasterCard World Premier credit card holders)
6. Zones 3, 4, 5 and depending on the aircraft, Zone 6.
Print Wikipost

New Boarding Process, beginning 1/7/2014

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2014, 7:13 pm

Programs: None
Originally Posted by pdpgps
CLT is dumb in the regard that at the ends of Terminal B and C they too many gates that nearly overlap each other. Boarding is a nightmare.
I wouldn't be so quick to blame the airport. The gates (jetways/lead in lines) have been moved at least once and I suspect that US had a pretty large say in the spacing as they tried to get the most planes parked at a fixed concourse. It also lowers the lease cost per flight since US leases all the ramp and the majority of concourse space at B & C at the same cost per square foot as the other airlines. Parking more planes at the same square foot concourse equals less cost per plane.

Jim
Old Jan 18, 2014, 7:23 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, MR-PP
CLT is dumb in the regard that at the ends of Terminal B and C they too many gates that nearly overlap each other. Boarding is a nightmare.
CLT is in process of building International terminal (once parking garages are finished and rent-a-car facilities move there). So this should make it much better as most wide-bodies are international anyways.
Old Jan 18, 2014, 8:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
Originally Posted by iztok
CLT is in process of building International terminal (once parking garages are finished and rent-a-car facilities move there). So this should make it much better as most wide-bodies are international anyways.
As I recall the master plan also called for an extension to at least the B concourse and perhaps C as well, which could improve the crowded configuration at the end of the concourses. Don't know whether it's been funded or not, though. The end of the D concourse is an example of of a design that works much better.
Old Jan 18, 2014, 9:16 pm

Programs: None
C-con at CLT would be hard to extend enough to be meaningful because of proximity to runway 5-23 and the need for taxi room behind planes parked on C. B-con has more room but not terribly much to the length so it would probably have a bend to the west as an extension. There's plenty of room between A & B-con to accommodate that.

Jim

PS - this link is to the master plan with the airport diagram, including proposed changes, on page 4. It shows the B-con extension to the west off the current end of B and the international concourse on the northwest side of the terminal.

Last edited by BoeingBoy; Jan 18, 2014 at 9:22 pm
Old Jan 18, 2014, 10:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by dml105

Does AA call its elites preferred?
Nope. PriorityAAccess is the closest it comes.

Sounds like that GA said "preferred" and those pax heard "douches" and acted accordingly
Old Jan 18, 2014, 11:14 pm

Programs: WFBF
I don't think I've ever been in an airport where the end of a concourse didn't feel crowded because of a cluster of gates. CLT doesn't feel any better or worse to me, on average, than being way down the end of a pier at DCA, or the end of T1 at LAX, or... well, the end of lots of terminals.
Old Jan 19, 2014, 6:54 pm

Programs: MR & SPG Plat, BA Silver, AA Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by ubernostrum
I don't think I've ever been in an airport where the end of a concourse didn't feel crowded because of a cluster of gates. CLT doesn't feel any better or worse to me, on average, than being way down the end of a pier at DCA, or the end of T1 at LAX, or... well, the end of lots of terminals.
Boeingboy and you make a good point about terminals that are designed such that the gates at the end may overlap. I guess my frustration is really brought out when there is simultaneous boarding at two adjacent gates, especially at the ends.
Old Jan 19, 2014, 7:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Diamond, Nexus
Boeingboy and you make a good point about terminals that are designed such that the gates at the end may overlap. I guess my frustration is really brought out when there is simultaneous boarding at two adjacent gates, especially at the ends.
I've often seen 4-6 adjacent gates with departures in a 10-20 minute range at the ends of concourses, specifically at CLT and PHX. It makes for quite a zoo.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 8:00 pm

My wife and I don't fly a lot, and we accumulate 99% of our miles from using our American Airlines (Aadvantage) Credit Cards. Hopefully that doesn't make other's who earn their miles "the real way" look down on us.

When we board isn't a huge concern and we usually have enough miles that we fly first class anyhow either coming or going.

After reading this thread I went and looked (I realize it might of changed), and Citi is still showing that one of our card benefits allows us "Group 1 Boarding".

My question is this. Where exactly does Group 1 Boarding fall in this new procedure?

Thanks for the help.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 8:25 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by gruss
I've often seen 4-6 adjacent gates with departures in a 10-20 minute range at the ends of concourses, specifically at CLT and PHX. It makes for quite a zoo.
I think it was when I was flying PHL-MAD that the next gate, just a few feet away, was boarding at the exact same time to CDG. And these are the widebody planes. Add in that some people don't speak English very well, and it creates a mass of confusion.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 9:29 pm

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
Originally Posted by JusMeJim
My wife and I don't fly a lot, and we accumulate 99% of our miles from using our American Airlines (Aadvantage) Credit Cards. Hopefully that doesn't make other's who earn their miles "the real way" look down on us.

When we board isn't a huge concern and we usually have enough miles that we fly first class anyhow either coming or going.

After reading this thread I went and looked (I realize it might of changed), and Citi is still showing that one of our card benefits allows us "Group 1 Boarding".

My question is this. Where exactly does Group 1 Boarding fall in this new procedure?

Thanks for the help.
The short answer: they haven't integrated benefits for credit cards yet. So you won't get any boarding priority on US-operated flights. (The same is true for US cardholders flying AA, I think.)

The long answer: American has a FAQ for credit card benefits here.
Old Feb 21, 2014, 2:34 pm

Programs: AAdvantage LT Gold and current EXP, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
New Emphasis?

Just boarded IAH to DFW and the GA did something I haven't seen in a long time: she enforced the boarding order. FC and ExecPlat were called and I came forward with a big group. As I frequently do, I looked around at easily visible BPs and the first one I saw said Plat. That guy joined the line just ahead of me. I was quite surprised when the guy two people ahead of me was told "I haven't called Plat yet just FC and EP". The guy in front of me was told the same thing. They both moved aside. I told the GA "wow, well done. That is rare."

MODERATOR - please move to consolidated post-merger boarding order thread. Thx

Last edited by seanj_tx; Feb 21, 2014 at 5:34 pm Reason: Thread needs moved
Old Feb 22, 2014, 5:10 pm

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
Originally Posted by BoeingBoy
C-con at CLT would be hard to extend enough to be meaningful because of proximity to runway 5-23 and the need for taxi room behind planes parked on C. B-con has more room but not terribly much to the length so it would probably have a bend to the west as an extension. There's plenty of room between A & B-con to accommodate that.
Funny that this thread seems to have popped up just after I connected through this crunch last night. I was hoping to sit for a few minutes to eat some dinner before departing on a flight from the end of C -- but there were no seats whatsoever available.

It seems to me they could expand the holding area at the end of C-con without actually adding gates -- all they really need there is more seats. Something like this:

To return to the original posting topic, I didn't find that the new boarding order was being followed very carefully at CLT. It seemed like most agents had reverted to the pmUS style, or some variant on it.
Old Feb 22, 2014, 5:17 pm

I haven't seen the new order happening even once. It has been traditional F, Preferred Access, etc.
Old Feb 22, 2014, 5:33 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite, AA Platinum Pro, Hertz Presidents
I noticed they are back to FC first, then CP and EXP, then other preferreds.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.