Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 8, 2014, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: awaflyboy
This is the current US boarding process:

1. Special assists
2. First Class & Uniformed Military
3. Emerald & Saphire (Chairman, Exec. Platinum, Platinum, US Gold)
4. Ruby (US Silver & AA Gold)
5. Preferred Access
4. Zone 1
5. Zone 2 (including US Visa Signature and MasterCard World Premier credit card holders)
6. Zones 3, 4, 5 and depending on the aircraft, Zone 6.
Print Wikipost

New Boarding Process, beginning 1/7/2014

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2014, 6:57 pm

Out of PHL on 676 to LAS tonight.

1) extra time
2) first class
3) all dividends, AA elite, and preferred access
4) zones

Also, first class dinner orders taken back to front.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 9:38 pm

Programs: AA EP, UA Plat, HHonors Diamond, nowhere near the 1%
boarding appears different between the two airlines

14 april dfw > clt (AA GAs)
extra time
fc, ep
military in uniform
remaining elites
zones

16 apr clt > ord (USAir GAs)
extra time
fc
any active military
Ep, Emerald, saph, etc
zones

Also the last 3 weeks I've taken trips that mix flights between the 2 airlines. I'm AA EP and have noticed TAs and GAs favoring their own elites over the other. Example: AA agents went out of their way (or gave the appearance) to move me from a middle seat (me changing flights last minute). Versus USAir GA laughing when I asked if he could move me out of a middle. Heard GAs from both airlines 'complaining' that the other airline (psst you guys are one now) was "filling up all the seats"... (isn't that the point?)
Old Nov 3, 2014, 9:09 am

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Still Current?

Just bumping this six-month old thread to ask -

a) If it's still current and

b) What defines zone 3, 4 & 5? e.g. on United Zone 3 is window seats.

What is Zone 3 on US Airways these days? Back of the plane? Windows? What seat should I try to select to wind up in Zone 3?

I have no status on US / AA.

Thanks.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 10:20 am

Programs: AA EXP
Select a bulkhead or exit row if you want zone 1...although these will only become available during OLCI if you have no status.

As to what seats to pick for other zones, I have no clue. I've been preferred for a long time now so am usually on board well before zone 1 is even called.

And to answer your question a), yes it is still current (AFAIK).
Old Nov 3, 2014, 3:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP / HH Diamond
The process still seems current. See http://www.usairways.com/en-US/trave...g_process.html

As far as I know there is no longer any (major) rhyme or reason to the boarding zones after Zone 2. At one point, boarding was indeed reverse pyramid where windows and the back of the plane would have a better zone number. I think some believe it is based on time of check-in.

Expect to gate check (for free) any larger roller-board usually by Zone 4.

If you are at a hub or major-presence city, expect a large number of elites and/or credit card holders.

If for whatever reason you do not have a zone number on your boarding pass, you are requested to board with Zone 4.

Families with small children board with the highest zoned passenger, no special call (used to be after Zone 2.)
Old Nov 7, 2014, 6:46 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold
Before I became preferred about a year ago I always had success getting Zone 3 by sitting in the back.
Old Nov 7, 2014, 7:56 am

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by gglave
What is Zone 3 on US Airways these days? Back of the plane? Windows? What seat should I try to select to wind up in Zone 3?
I picked a window towards the back and got Zone 4.

It was a 321 with lots of empty middles, so no problem storing my bag in the bin - Lots of space.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.