Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Should I Buy Up to US Chairman's or Platinum?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2013, 9:01 am
Original Poster

Should I Buy Up to US Chairman's or Platinum?

Should I buy-up to US Chairman's or to Platinum? My US Airways travel will be domestic so the systemwide certs for Chairman's don't matter to me. Reciprocal status on American does matter to me, but I realize that true program consolidation is over a year away. Given this, would you stick with buying-up to Platinum, or go up to Chairman's?
Old Dec 10, 2013, 9:08 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
As this question is specific to the extant, pre-merger US Airways Dividend Miles programme, I am moving your question over to the US Airways forum for further discussion.

~Moderator
Old Dec 10, 2013, 3:08 pm

I think the biggest question here is around upgrades -- how quickly does FC go on your usual routes? Chairman upgrades a week in advance vs. 5 days for platinum members. In my experience, on most flights, particularly shorter ones, I can get the free automatic upgrades as a platinum member -- on BOS-CLT, for example, I get upgraded easily 9 times out of 10. For cross country flights like CLT-SFO or BOS-PHX, this gets tougher -- I'll swing an upgrade at inconvenient times, but if I'm flying on a Monday AM / Thurs night, those FC seats are more likely to sell out or get snatched up in the first wave of upgrades.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 8:05 pm

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Ambassador, B6 Mosaic, SBUX Gold, Best Buy Elite
Neither, you might make folks in the AA forum mad.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 9:09 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, Marriott Rewards Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond, TK M&S Elite
Originally Posted by ellinj
Now that's funny!
Old Dec 10, 2013, 10:11 pm

Programs: UA MM / LT Gold (LT UC), DL SM, AA PLT (AC), OZ, KE; GE and Korean SES (like GE); Marriott Gold
Since we are talking about this: what are odds that this will be last chance to buy-up to elite status because of the merger? AA doesn't allow it.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 10:41 pm

Originally Posted by relangford
Since we are talking about this: what are odds that this will be last chance to buy-up to elite status because of the merger? AA doesn't allow it.
they actually do, I got an email about it a while back, they won't let you buy up from zero, but they do offer it, which is why I find all the grousing about the US option funny.

http://www.aa.com/i18n/urls/eliteren...RL&title=elite
Old Dec 10, 2013, 10:53 pm

Programs: UA MM / LT Gold (LT UC), DL SM, AA PLT (AC), OZ, KE; GE and Korean SES (like GE); Marriott Gold
they actually do, I got an email about it a while back, they won't let you buy up from zero, but they do offer it, which is why I find all the grousing about the US option funny.
My wife got the offer to AA Gold since she is at 23+k, but the maximum number of miles is 10k for AA, and you cannot get EXP unless you have at least 90k BIS miles. The US program is much better, IMHO.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 10:56 pm

Originally Posted by relangford
My wife got the offer to AA Gold since she is at 23+k, but the maximum number of miles is 10k for AA, and you cannot get EXP unless you have at least 90k BIS miles. The US program is much better, IMHO.
It's also ludicrously expensive to buy up when you need more then 5-10k miles, I seriously doubt there are many people paying 4k for chairmen from 0.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 6:59 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Plat / OW Sapphire / Hyatt Diamond / Hilton Diamond
I have a similar question. At end of this week I'll hit US Plat but am wondering if paying the $1000 to buy up to Chairman's is worth it to match to AA ExPlat.

I started a new position this May and fly once or twice a month domestically and flew Envoy to LHR once. I'm not sure what next year will bring but hoping to make a few more 1st class upgrades PHX-CLT.

$1000 is a bit to pay but if I can get some upgrades out of it then it might be worth it. Hard decision...
Old Dec 11, 2013, 7:14 am
Formerly known as I_Hate_US_Airways

Programs: My Loyalty Programs? I now VOTE with my wallet!!!
Post UG %

Here's here's my experiance as both...

(Domestic) Short Haul Long Haul

Plat 90% 70%

CP 99% 90%

Is it worth it to you???
Old Dec 11, 2013, 8:13 am
Suspended

I am not buying up this year -- too much uncertainty in terms of routes and what the FF program will be like. I don't think AA will cancel the buyup program at all, it's a cash cow. My guess is that they will adopt something like Special Dividends where a lot of the things AA elites get (like SWUs) will only be available for flown miles, but you'll still be able to buy up to Exec Plat at costs comparable to what US charges now. And they will combine UDUs and SWUs similar to what United does.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 8:19 am
Suspended

http://www.aa.com/i18n/urls/eliteren...RL&title=elite
Interesting, you can buy up from zero but not to Exec Platinum -- in fact you can't really buy up to EXP at all unless you are <10k short. And it's expensive even if you are just a little short. It really only makes sense if you are doing a Platinum renewal, IMO, but I'm not sure Platinum is really worth that much on AA.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 8:53 am

Programs: US/AA-Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, AVIS-Presidents Club, National-Executive Elite
Originally Posted by shawn67
Now that's funny!
Man, but its sooooooo true!! They keep on talking about their "premium" airline like its close to Godliness.

I say, welcome to reality AA FF's.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 8:53 am

Programs: US Airways Silver Preferred, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold Elite
I agree that there is too much uncertainty at this point. Unless you're really close to making Platinum and it won't cost very much to Buy Up I wouldn't do it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.