Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Should I Buy Up to US Chairman's or Platinum?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2013, 9:22 am

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Ambassador, B6 Mosaic, SBUX Gold, Best Buy Elite
Originally Posted by bkafrick
Man, but its sooooooo true!! They keep on talking about their "premium" airline like its close to Godliness.

I say, welcome to reality AA FF's.
As much as they would like to think it will, I don't see Buy Up going away, its pure profit.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 11:04 am

Programs: WFBF
The main factors, as I see them, are
  • Uncertainty around whether the merged program will be 3-tier or 4-tier, and if 3-tier what happens to the US Platinums (i.e., do we merge up to EXP equivalent, or down). I'm considering buying up to CP from Platinum just to guarantee I don't get merged down.
  • Do you have a use for the CP upgrade certs? The domestic-upgrade situation for Platinum vs. CP isn't hugely different except on the most elite-heavy routes, so the CP upgrade certs are the main differentiator.
  • Uncertain whether the new program follow AA's or US' lead on domestic upgrades. AA's program only gives complimentary upgrades to EXP, and everyone else needs to buy/earn and use upgrade stickers. Suddenly losing complimentary upgrades would really suck, and buying up to CP seems the safest way to guarantee they continue.

(right now I'm leaning toward buy up, but haven't yet done so -- will likely do it around Christmas)
Old Dec 11, 2013, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
I'd consider it due to the merger. It's better to be at the top of the heap in a crazy environment rather than somewhere in the middle. AA has a lot more elites, so I prefer having as much priority as possible.

PP may be the red headed stepchild - no one knows if there will be a 75k-ish tier in the new program, and if there isn't, how it will translate to perks on AA.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 1:15 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1MM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold/SVN 3 Star Elite, ICG Plat Ambassador

How about buying from US in early January to enjoy status for 2 years? I could be tempted for top status at current prices.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 1:27 pm

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Ambassador, B6 Mosaic, SBUX Gold, Best Buy Elite
Originally Posted by psfcfa
How about buying from US in early January to enjoy status for 2 years? I could be tempted for top status at current prices.
They don't flip that bit until October. Any status bought before then is only good until Feb of the following year.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 1:35 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1MM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold/SVN 3 Star Elite, ICG Plat Ambassador

Ah...unlike UA where you used to be able to do that.
Old Dec 15, 2013, 12:22 am

Programs: AA Plat + SPG Plat
If things remain relatively the same in the "new" airline, purchased CP status (converted to EXP) would put you pretty close to the bottom of that list until you had enough BIS miles to compete with the earned CPs/EXPs.
Old Dec 15, 2013, 5:26 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by coastalguy
If things remain relatively the same in the "new" airline, purchased CP status (converted to EXP) would put you pretty close to the bottom of that list until you had enough BIS miles to compete with the earned CPs/EXPs.
That is why I think the whole buy-up to CP thing is fair. I generally buy-up from gold so even though I am CP, I am near the bottom of the herd with 60K BIS miles. It seems like this is fair to true BIS CPs (who trump me) as well as fair to me (since I beat out all PPs by shelling out some cash).
Old Dec 15, 2013, 10:52 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat
If you buy up to Chairman, do you get the two upgrade certificates?
Old Dec 15, 2013, 11:08 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
Originally Posted by omegadeal
If you buy up to Chairman, do you get the two upgrade certificates?
Yes.
Old Dec 15, 2013, 4:28 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite, AA Platinum Pro, Hertz Presidents
Originally Posted by MikeMilzz
I have a similar question. At end of this week I'll hit US Plat but am wondering if paying the $1000 to buy up to Chairman's is worth it to match to AA ExPlat.

I started a new position this May and fly once or twice a month domestically and flew Envoy to LHR once. I'm not sure what next year will bring but hoping to make a few more 1st class upgrades PHX-CLT.

$1000 is a bit to pay but if I can get some upgrades out of it then it might be worth it. Hard decision...
I did this exact same thing. I finished year at 95 segs, and bought up for $989. I fly tough CLT-EWR Mon and Fri and find I get upgraded over 90% with CP. I had no where near that upgrade rate as platinum. But I don't expect I'll get AAEXP though. I think they will announce whatever the terms will be sometime early 2014 and the conversion to AA programme will be 2015. At end of 2014 I'll be up if possible. I won't be able to it 120 segs or 100k miles.
Old Dec 15, 2013, 4:30 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite, AA Platinum Pro, Hertz Presidents
Originally Posted by bkafrick
Man, but its sooooooo true!! They keep on talking about their "premium" airline like its close to Godliness.

I say, welcome to reality AA FF's.
Hallelujah ! We finally agree!
Old Dec 15, 2013, 9:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by GoingMyWay
I agree that there is too much uncertainty at this point. Unless you're really close to making Platinum and it won't cost very much to Buy Up I wouldn't do it.
^
Old Dec 16, 2013, 7:39 am

As an aside, it is not well known but it IS possible to buy status on AA.

Top tier will set you back about $30k
Old Dec 16, 2013, 7:47 am

Programs: US Airways Silver Preferred, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold Elite
Originally Posted by nall
Top tier will set you back about $30k
Is that buying up from 0? $30k is a ridiculous amount of money!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.