Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Should I Buy Up to US Chairman's or Platinum?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2013, 7:57 am

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Ambassador, B6 Mosaic, SBUX Gold, Best Buy Elite
Originally Posted by jlingoswebb
So I just want to clarify this as I am in the same boat. What is the latest date that one can buy up for the 2014 year? I was CP in 2013 and realize that it will run until Feb 1, but I want to maintain that status for 2014 and will have to purchase up from PP qualification. Can I do this in Jan?
No one knows how long the buy up program will last, your status normally ends 2/28 but has been extended a month due to the merger. If you want to gamble wait until 3/28, if not do it now.
Old Dec 28, 2013, 12:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat, Marriott Ambassador, Hyatt Diamond, National Executive Elite
Of course, if you're currently CP and are going to be a few miles short, you can't buy up for 2014 until after your status drops.. And you have to hope you are able to do so come 3/28.
Old Dec 28, 2013, 5:24 pm

Should I pay the $789 to up to Chairman Preferred?

Looking for everyone's advice on this. I'm short just under 12k miles and thinking about doing the $789 buy up program from usair. Looking for advice on whether it's worth it.

If chairmans maps to executive platinum next year then I think it's worth it.

Thoughts......
Old Dec 28, 2013, 5:49 pm

Programs: US Airways Gold, Marriott Platinum, SW A List
Should I pay the $789 to up to Chairman Preferred?

Nobody knows about the last part but I wouldn't buy up only on that assumption.
Old Dec 28, 2013, 6:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
Originally Posted by Gdorvs
Looking for everyone's advice on this. I'm short just under 12k miles and thinking about doing the $789 buy up program from usair. Looking for advice on whether it's worth it.

If chairmans maps to executive platinum next year then I think it's worth it.

Thoughts......
If you're going to use the benefits, such as flying enough to make the higher upgrade percentage, more bonus miles, Envoy upgrade certs, and access to the Chairman's Desk phone support worth it, then go for it.

At this point, we have no indication that the programs will merge in 2014, and if anything early 2015 is more likely as this is at least in part tied to the merge of the reservations systems, so I would not assume that being CP in 2014 gets you EXP unless you fly enough in 2014 to requalify. What being CP gets you on flights operated by pre-merger AA in 2014 is something that we should know in a few weeks though as apparently we'll be able to accrue miles in AA flights starting on or after Jan 7th.

See also this thread:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-ai...-platinum.html
Old Dec 28, 2013, 9:10 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Avis First, Starwood Platinum, Marriott Gold
$789 seems very reasonable if you are going to be flying at least once a month in 2014, regardless of what will happen with the American merger. The upgrade percentage is far more consistent as a CP than Plat.
Old Dec 28, 2013, 9:33 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite, AA Platinum Pro, Hertz Presidents
Originally Posted by MAH4546
Very few people buy up on US because it's not worth it. Offer EXP for $4k and everybody and their brother would sign up, as EXP offers significantly superior benefits on a significantly superior airline, most notably one that actually has service in first class.

The days of the buy up programs are done and done.

And its not "condescension." AA fliers are rightfully upset because it's basically the most premium domestic carrier merging with the least premium. US domestic first is a first class seat with as much service and free food as JetBlue, and its excuse for a long-haul J is a solid seat with service and meals akin to premium economy. Like Mercedes merging with Kia, although that's not a good example, because Kia is known for a reliable product.

Fortunately, Parker so far is taking steps to make US like AA, and not the other way around. For all it's major network and labor deficiencies, AA has been the darling of business travelers and has the major corporate contracts to back that up. Parker won't mess with that.
Isn't premium domestic carrier an oxymoron?
Seriously, I am quite pleased overall with US. my limited experience with AA has been awful. Eye of the beholder my friend...
Old Dec 28, 2013, 10:05 pm

Based on communications/interviews thus far, it seems like US/AA will be pushing some benefits out to CP/EP before lower-tiers, and the extra status never hurts, especially during post-merger periods like this.

I think if you plan to take advantage of the expanded network in 2014 (i.e. take AA flights), if you'd rather pay the $800 to preserve some benefits, it probably adds to the general "is CP over PP worth it" considerations.
Old Dec 29, 2013, 2:53 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, Marriott Rewards Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond, TK M&S Elite
Should I Buy Up to US Chairman's or Platinum?

Has everyone seen this from the US Airways Dividend Mile Preferred Page?

"With the legal close of our merger with American Airlines, we’re one step closer to bringing you a stronger airline. We'll continue to operate as separate airlines for now, but in early January 2014, Dividend Miles Preferred members will begin to enjoy many Preferred benefits when they fly on American."
Old Dec 29, 2013, 7:53 am

Programs: None
It's discussed in one of these threads with speculation about what "many Preferred benefits" means. I think that reciprocal club access has been published already, things like elite lines at the ticket counter, preferred boarding priority, and preferred bag check tags only take an elite card to implement so are likely candidates for quick implementation.

Jim
Old Dec 29, 2013, 8:29 am

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Ambassador, B6 Mosaic, SBUX Gold, Best Buy Elite
Originally Posted by Sam I Am
Of course, if you're currently CP and are going to be a few miles short, you can't buy up for 2014 until after your status drops.. And you have to hope you are able to do so come 3/28.
Not true. I was about 5k short of CP early December and with no trips planned did the buy up. Already got new cards with 2015 expiration.
Old Dec 29, 2013, 9:53 am

Programs: US/AA-Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, AVIS-Presidents Club, National-Executive Elite
Very few people buy up on US because it's not worth it.
Ha, this is patently false. People on this forum post all the time that they buy up. I do.

EXP offers significantly superior benefits on a significantly superior airline
Oh, please... I have a 95% upgrade rate on US as a platinum. Please tell me how your free unlimited upgrade rate is?

The days of the buy up programs are done and done.
Says you. We have no idea what the new AA will bring. Safe it to say, it won't be anything like the old AA or the old US.

Parker so far is taking steps to make US like AA, and not the other way around.
We really havent seen any steps taken to make US like AA. We havent seen many steps at all, period. I think your guesses are really premature.
Old Dec 30, 2013, 7:31 am

Programs: AA Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Very few people buy up on US because it's not worth it. Offer EXP for $4k and everybody and their brother would sign up, as EXP offers significantly superior benefits on a significantly superior airline, most notably one that actually has service in first class.
Do you have a source for any of what you just said? You state opinion as if it were fact.

<b>And its not "condescension."</b> AA fliers are rightfully upset because it's basically the most premium domestic carrier merging with the least premium. US domestic first is a first class seat with as much service and free food as JetBlue, and its excuse for a long-haul J is a solid seat with service and meals akin to premium economy. <b>Like Mercedes merging with Kia</b>, although that's not a good example, because Kia is known for a reliable product.
Exactly how is that not condescension, MAH?

Is this looking down their noses what US elites need to learn to expect from AA fliers?
Old Dec 30, 2013, 8:51 am

Is GP generally worth it from an upgrade standpoint over SP? I'm thinking that for $579 it's not a bad deal.
Old Dec 30, 2013, 9:22 am

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Diamond, Nexus
Originally Posted by PWMTrav
Is GP generally worth it from an upgrade standpoint over SP? I'm thinking that for $579 it's not a bad deal.
I found my upgrade rate to go up pretty significantly once I hit gold. It has hovered around 80 percent since hitting gold early this year on a mix of express flights with hub-hubs heading out to PHX.

I also found the increased baggage allowance worthwhile for a couple trips to the west coast each year to visit family, and have used the *G status to score E+ seats on UA several times (although that won't be a factor much longer).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.