Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Should I Buy Up to US Chairman's or Platinum?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2013, 7:50 am

Programs: US Chairman
I took the plunge, although it's kind of my fault I had to. Given merger, I took the approach that for 2013 I would treat US and AA as the same. Where as before, I would fly UA to chicago, this year I flew AA. Instead of connecting to Dallas or Miami on US, I flew AA. So instead of being a high platinum or CP on US Segments, I got high gold on US and gold on AA (all through segments).

Did not want to be gold on US this year, so bought up (all the way to CP). Will be happy to fly with gold on AA (actually was upgraded last week on a BOS-MIA trip) and pay for first class when necessary. Might be $1499 down the drain, but think it will be worth it for THIS YEAR. I am going to approach 2014 the same way I approached 2013 - hope for 2015 they "combine" segments to determine status... We'll see
Old Dec 16, 2013, 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by GoingMyWay
Is that buying up from 0? $30k is a ridiculous amount of money!
So you can't actually buy top-tier alone, they'll only sell it as part of certain expensive bundles of services (IIRC currently they start at $30k).

The number of miles flown so far in a year does not affect the pricing.

EDIT: For the sake of completeness, I'll also mention that entry-level elite status can be effectively purchased via the BusinessExtrAA program, which is basically open to anyone who books travel for more than themselves.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 2:56 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, USDM Gold, National Exec Elite, IHG Dumped-now Kettle, SPG Platinum
I want to Buy up to maintain my gold status into Feb 2015. Can I wait till 1/1 so that the spend goes to my US Airways card or do I have to do by 12/31?
Old Dec 17, 2013, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by oldsmoboi
I want to Buy up to maintain my gold status into Feb 2015. Can I wait till 1/1 so that the spend goes to my US Airways card or do I have to do by 12/31?
You can buy up after 1/1.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 3:01 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, USDM Gold, National Exec Elite, IHG Dumped-now Kettle, SPG Platinum
Thanks.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 3:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP & 1 MM/ LTG, CX GO, US CP, SPG Platinum Ambassador, National EE
Originally Posted by bkafrick
Man, but its sooooooo true!! They keep on talking about their "premium" airline like its close to Godliness.

I say, welcome to reality AA FF's.
Originally Posted by nall
As an aside, it is not well known but it IS possible to buy status on AA.

Top tier will set you back about $30k
Perhaps this is part of the misunderstanding - many, many people who are loyal AA customers spend considerably more than 30K annually and would prefer that AA not give away status like US does.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by GullwingSL
Perhaps this is part of the misunderstanding - many, many people who are loyal AA customers spend considerably more than 30K annually and would prefer that AA not give away status like US does.
Yes, because TONS of people buy up on US ...

Most people buy up if they're close to a tier. Very few will buy status outright. And even if they don't fly enough to qualify for it on their own, it means they won't be flying enough to really harm anyone else's chances.

Let's also not forget that AA gave soft landings up until recently, meaning EXP could get you at least 2 additional years after if you didn't requalify for anything. And now, they're letting you buy up the difference if you're close.

So please, spare us the condescension.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 4:23 pm

Programs: None
I see much of the "my airline is better than your airline" as the devil you know being a lot better than the devil you don't know. I think it's a fairly safe bet that most FFs in either program will find changes they don't like as the programs are merged.

Granted, that's mainly about differences in FF programs and not service, equipment, personnel, etc differences.

Jim
Old Dec 26, 2013, 10:15 am

Programs: US Airways Plat, Hilton Diamond, National Exec, Delta Silver
Originally Posted by oldsmoboi
Originally Posted by Superguy
Sweet. Exactly what I needed to know. The last leg of my flight doesn't arrive until late on 12/31 and it greatly reduces the cost of buying up...however those miles would not be reflected in the system prior to 01/01/14. US was unable to answer that question.
Old Dec 27, 2013, 9:00 am

Originally Posted by ClinesSelect
Sweet. Exactly what I needed to know. The last leg of my flight doesn't arrive until late on 12/31 and it greatly reduces the cost of buying up...however those miles would not be reflected in the system prior to 01/01/14. US was unable to answer that question.
So I just want to clarify this as I am in the same boat. What is the latest date that one can buy up for the 2014 year? I was CP in 2013 and realize that it will run until Feb 1, but I want to maintain that status for 2014 and will have to purchase up from PP qualification. Can I do this in Jan?
Old Dec 27, 2013, 9:59 am

Programs: AA Platinum
Would you say that there is an advantage to buying up before 1/1 or an advantage to buying up after 1/1--that is, apart from putting the purchase on the card in one year or another?
Old Dec 27, 2013, 4:29 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite, AA Platinum Pro, Hertz Presidents
Originally Posted by Joanna2360
Would you say that there is an advantage to buying up before 1/1 or an advantage to buying up after 1/1--that is, apart from putting the purchase on the card in one year or another?
I don't really think there's any particular difference. The only scenario I can think of is if you had an end of year flight 12/31 and wanted to wait because that flight would get you over a threshold and enable you to pay less for the buy up. Other than that not much difference.
Cheers.
Old Dec 27, 2013, 6:18 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Originally Posted by jlingoswebb
So I just want to clarify this as I am in the same boat. What is the latest date that one can buy up for the 2014 year? I was CP in 2013 and realize that it will run until Feb 1, but I want to maintain that status for 2014 and will have to purchase up from PP qualification. Can I do this in Jan?
Good news: you will keep your status this year through 30 Mar 2014.
Old Dec 27, 2013, 9:31 pm

For folks asking about when they can purchase 2014 status based on 2013 miles, this e-mail from US Airway might be of help:
Based on current US Airways policy, the Preferred buy up program would apply towards the current program year if purchased before October 1, 2014. Any buy ups after October 1st would apply towards the 2015 program year.

Members who buy up between now and May 31, 2014 would have a buy-up price based on his/her 2013 activity, unless the 2014 preferred activity is higher.

These dates are based on current US Airways policies and are subject to change in light of the upcoming merger with American Airlines.
-kive
Old Dec 28, 2013, 2:48 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Yes, because TONS of people buy up on US ...

Most people buy up if they're close to a tier. Very few will buy status outright. And even if they don't fly enough to qualify for it on their own, it means they won't be flying enough to really harm anyone else's chances.

Let's also not forget that AA gave soft landings up until recently, meaning EXP could get you at least 2 additional years after if you didn't requalify for anything. And now, they're letting you buy up the difference if you're close.

So please, spare us the condescension.
Very few people buy up on US because it's not worth it. Offer EXP for $4k and everybody and their brother would sign up, as EXP offers significantly superior benefits on a significantly superior airline, most notably one that actually has service in first class.

The days of the buy up programs are done and done.

And its not "condescension." AA fliers are rightfully upset because it's basically the most premium domestic carrier merging with the least premium. US domestic first is a first class seat with as much service and free food as JetBlue, and its excuse for a long-haul J is a solid seat with service and meals akin to premium economy. Like Mercedes merging with Kia, although that's not a good example, because Kia is known for a reliable product.

Fortunately, Parker so far is taking steps to make US like AA, and not the other way around. For all it's major network and labor deficiencies, AA has been the darling of business travelers and has the major corporate contracts to back that up. Parker won't mess with that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.