Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Should I Buy Up to US Chairman's or Platinum?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2014, 7:56 pm

Upgrade to CP for Envoy certs - $1,499?

I am a frequent short-hop flyer with US - 77 segments last year, most under 500 miles. I maintain my Gold status every year without any trouble, but never have quite enough to reach Platinum or higher unless I kill myself with intentional connections. I get a fair number of upgrades - about 40%.

This year I'll likely be flying a lot less, probably not enough to maintain Gold for next year. I will, however, be traveling to Ireland in August and I'd love to come home in Envoy if possible.

I received the buy-up invitation for $1,499 to Chairmans, and would like opinions on whether it's worth it. I would probably use my miles to upgrade home from Ireland in Envoy, but my simple mind is suggesting that buying the CP upgrade would be a good deal - I'd get 2 upgrade certs for Ireland (me and spouse) and I'd also get the benefits of CP until next year. It seems that $1,499 is less than what I would pay for the points upgrade, considering what it cost to get those points.

Am I on the right track?

Frank
EWR
Old Jan 23, 2014, 4:21 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by flaco77
I am a frequent short-hop flyer with US - 77 segments last year, most under 500 miles. I maintain my Gold status every year without any trouble, but never have quite enough to reach Platinum or higher unless I kill myself with intentional connections. I get a fair number of upgrades - about 40%.

This year I'll likely be flying a lot less, probably not enough to maintain Gold for next year. I will, however, be traveling to Ireland in August and I'd love to come home in Envoy if possible.

I received the buy-up invitation for $1,499 to Chairmans, and would like opinions on whether it's worth it. I would probably use my miles to upgrade home from Ireland in Envoy, but my simple mind is suggesting that buying the CP upgrade would be a good deal - I'd get 2 upgrade certs for Ireland (me and spouse) and I'd also get the benefits of CP until next year. It seems that $1,499 is less than what I would pay for the points upgrade, considering what it cost to get those points.

Am I on the right track?

Frank
EWR
Welcome to FT, Frank. And in a few words ... you are on the right track.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 6:15 am

Programs: AA EXP ; Cunard Plat
... I will, however, be traveling to Ireland in August and I'd love to come home in Envoy if possible. ...
Another welcome to FlyerTalk, flaco77 ^

US is known for being stingy with upgrade/award availability TATL in peak season (August, indeed all summer, is peak TATL). The CP certs are much easier to use in the shoulder/off seasons. Just don't want ya disappointed if you have a specific trip in mind and find out later that there's no availability for use of your CP certs ...
Old Jan 23, 2014, 8:44 am

Programs: AA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by kudzu
Another welcome to FlyerTalk, flaco77 ^

US is known for being stingy with upgrade/award availability TATL in peak season (August, indeed all summer, is peak TATL). The CP certs are much easier to use in the shoulder/off seasons. Just don't want ya disappointed if you have a specific trip in mind and find out later that there's no availability for use of your CP certs ...
Even during peak TATL season, Dublin is rarely full in Envoy. Definitely more full than the off season, since it's a leisure destination, but definitely not completely full.

...Am I on the right track?
Yes, you are definitely on track. Some of the other CP perks may also help you, such as:

-increased upgrade percentage
-100% mileage bonus
-chairman desk (especially useful in cases of IRROPS)
-fee free mileage redeposits on cancelled award tickets

If you're not traveling to DUB during the peak season, it should be pretty easy to use the CP certs both ways to upgrade. If you're also going after April 1st and flying out of PHL, US is switching the route to an A332, which will have the excellent Envoy suites.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 8:59 am

Great information all, thank you. I'm only planning on using the two certs on the way home from Dublin to Philly on August 31st. Since that's the long leg, I'd like to be able to enjoy Envoy with my wife. I have 270k miles, but when we went last year I seem to remember that upgrading was going to nearly wipe me out. At $1,499 it seemed pretty inexpensive if only to upgrade 2 tickets one way home from Dublin. The other CP benefits are just icing on the cake in my mind.

So that said, what would you rate our chances at of using the certs August 31 from Dublin to Philly? 50/50 or better?

Thanks again all.. sounds like I'm making the right decision.

Frank
Old Jan 23, 2014, 9:06 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz

So that said, what would you rate our chances at of using the certs August 31 from Dublin to Philly? 50/50 or better?
I'm not sure if anyone can tell you that, other than a CP line agent.

Maybe if you call at a non-peak time, explain what you are looking to do, someone can check to see if there is upgrade inventory available right now.

You get 2 sets of certs, essentially for 2 people for 1 round-trip to Europe (or S America or Hawaii).
Old Jan 24, 2014, 7:33 pm

Programs: US AIR Chairman
If you plan to go to Hawaii or Europe, buy up you get the envoy upgrades at time of booking with a regular ticket, this is a 3500 seat each way on either route. For that is worth it if I don't get upgraded all year on regular flights but that does not happen anyway.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.