Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 2, 2013, 4:41 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aztimm
Share the gift of travel this holiday season - share your miles with a friend or family member. It's an economical way to help someone travel.

This Cyber Week, from December 2–6, we're making sharing even sweeter with a special holiday bonus miles offer that can help you give up to DOUBLE the miles.

The more you share, the more bonus miles your friend or family member will receive.

US Website for info:
https://buy.points.com/marketing/usairways/landingpages/share.html?CAMPAIGNCODE=003_25_0110_BYUP50000BNS00 0000000_021213

Both accounts must be >= 12 days old.

NOTE: It is against the Flyertalk Guidelines & Rules to offer to trade, outside of Coupon Connection. Disciplinary action will be taken if there are posts to that effect.
Print Wikipost

100% Share promo Dec 02 to Dec 06

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2013, 7:44 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Can my daughter (a minor) account share the miles to my account ? I will have to use my credit card to pay for the fees. Anyone did something like that successfully ?
Old Dec 3, 2013, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by choupeo
Can my daughter (a minor) account share the miles to my account ? I will have to use my credit card to pay for the fees. Anyone did something like that successfully ?
Yes, I did this without any trouble. The transaction that has gone missing for me was the simplest one: my wife, using her own credit card, gifting me the miles.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 10:55 pm

Programs: Willamette Valley Cropdusters Silver Elite, National Tent Frequent Stay program, Ed's Rent-a-tractor
Originally Posted by choupeo
I've done this a number of times with no problems whatsoever.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 12:29 am

Need an advice guys, should I take advantage of this promo (again)?

I am single (and looking lol) in my 20s and have about 800k miles/points across different programs. Should I do it again this time? I mean it looks like I have enough miles for the next 1-2 years. Would you invest this time if you were me?
Old Dec 4, 2013, 4:38 am

Originally Posted by kevinwangjk

I am single (and looking lol) in my 20s and have about 800k miles/points across different programs. Should I do it again this time? I mean it looks like I have enough miles for the next 1-2 years. Would you invest this time if you were me?
Depends on your travel needs and plans. 800k miles spread across several programs means less in and of itself than the max number of miles in a single account, especially if you're planning to use high mileage awards for premium international travel as many on FT like to do.

So, would make your decision based on upcoming travel plans rather than stashing miles for its own sake. That said, this is among the lower CPM deals to acquire miles and there's no telling if or when it will be seen again due to the merger. I personally like to maintain the equivalent of two long distance F awards between my wife's DM account and mine, so will top up accordingly using these promos when the balances fall below that threshold.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 6:45 am

Question Shares miles this past month - can I go again?

I had pulled the trigger on the recent offer which came out (I think end of October or early November 2013) with the sharing of miles with my wife. I want to use this again to pad up our accounts, but am not sure if that other transaction counts towards the 50000 miles. I am guessing that since this is a new offer, the counter should be reset and I should still be able to go ahead and share the miles. Any thoughts or insight?
Old Dec 4, 2013, 7:05 am

Programs: Nothing shiny :-(
Originally Posted by shomethemiles
I had pulled the trigger on the recent offer which came out (I think end of October or early November 2013) with the sharing of miles with my wife. I want to use this again to pad up our accounts, but am not sure if that other transaction counts towards the 50000 miles. I am guessing that since this is a new offer, the counter should be reset and I should still be able to go ahead and share the miles. Any thoughts or insight?
Definitely a new offer so you will be able to go ahead even if you took up previous offers.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by iahphx
Yes, I did this without any trouble. The transaction that has gone missing for me was the simplest one: my wife, using her own credit card, gifting me the miles.
Well, it took 18 hours, but I got my missing miles. Not sure why this one transaction got delayed, but "doing nothing" for a day and waiting for the miles to post was the right call!

That's a tough call. Objectively, 1.1 cents is a very good price to buy US (and soon to be AA) miles. That said, as a solo person, you are probably amassing enough miles at basically zero cost through the credit card sign-up bonus game.

With a family of 5, I've bought miles in the last 2 US promos because I struggle to have enough ff miles to constantly take my family around the world just on the credit card bonuses (yes, it's a tough life ). And there are 3 factors currently in play that are making these 1.1 cent miles very attractive.

First, as everyone reading this knows, int'l airfares have gone sky high in the past couple years. For years, I've been buying "mileage run" fares to Europe and such for the $200s, but that's gotten extremely rare of late (the recent Norwegian mistake was a rarity). So I "can't" really buy any int'l airfares these days: if we want to go overseas, we're doing it with miles. This means I need more miles.

Second, right now, in the frequent flyer game, we're nearing the end of the relatively-cheap premium class award chart. You're just not going to get to Asia in biz class for 90K next year. So it's worth goosing your account now to take that trip before you no longer can.

Finally, US miles are a weird "double currency" right now. Use them currently in the Star Alliance, or wait a few months and use them for oneworld. That's a pretty useful currency, and is worth stockpiling at this price.

But if you already have enough "free" credit card miles, there's still probably no reason to buy here. I see no sign that the cc sign up bonuses are about to end. I do see plenty of signs of more mileage devaluations, however, so no need to have more miles than you're going to use in the next year or so.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 11:01 am

Originally Posted by iahphx
Well, it took 18 hours, but I got my missing miles. Not sure why this one transaction got delayed, but "doing nothing" for a day and waiting for the miles to post was the right call!

That's a tough call. Objectively, 1.1 cents is a very good price to buy US (and soon to be AA) miles. That said, as a solo person, you are probably amassing enough miles at basically zero cost through the credit card sign-up bonus game.

With a family of 5, I've bought miles in the last 2 US promos because I struggle to have enough ff miles to constantly take my family around the world just on the credit card bonuses (yes, it's a tough life ). And there are 3 factors currently in play that are making these 1.1 cent miles very attractive.

First, as everyone reading this knows, int'l airfares have gone sky high in the past couple years. For years, I've been buying "mileage run" fares to Europe and such for the $200s, but that's gotten extremely rare of late (the recent Norwegian mistake was a rarity). So I "can't" really buy any int'l airfares these days: if we want to go overseas, we're doing it with miles. This means I need more miles.

Second, right now, in the frequent flyer game, we're nearing the end of the relatively-cheap premium class award chart. You're just not going to get to Asia in biz class for 90K next year. So it's worth goosing your account now to take that trip before you no longer can.

Finally, US miles are a weird "double currency" right now. Use them currently in the Star Alliance, or wait a few months and use them for oneworld. That's a pretty useful currency, and is worth stockpiling at this price.

But if you already have enough "free" credit card miles, there's still probably no reason to buy here. I see no sign that the cc sign up bonuses are about to end. I do see plenty of signs of more mileage devaluations, however, so no need to have more miles than you're going to use in the next year or so.
Hmm good point. I was thinking 1.1 CPM is good enough that even if I redeem for AA Anytime award some day it would still be worth it. But yeah, since I can still get almost 0 CPM by signing up new credit cards in a year or two, I probably should just pass on this.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 11:04 am

Originally Posted by sfernando
Depends on your travel needs and plans. 800k miles spread across several programs means less in and of itself than the max number of miles in a single account, especially if you're planning to use high mileage awards for premium international travel as many on FT like to do.

So, would make your decision based on upcoming travel plans rather than stashing miles for its own sake. That said, this is among the lower CPM deals to acquire miles and there's no telling if or when it will be seen again due to the merger. I personally like to maintain the equivalent of two long distance F awards between my wife's DM account and mine, so will top up accordingly using these promos when the balances fall below that threshold.
I can only see myself doing 2-3 long distance F trips in the next two years, so I guess this is probably enough for me at the moment. I am already doing one to China next week (award redeemed a while ago). Thanks for the comment
Old Dec 4, 2013, 3:39 pm

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
I can only see myself doing 2-3 long distance F trips in the next two years, so I guess this is probably enough for me at the moment. I am already doing one to China next week (award redeemed a while ago). Thanks for the comment
Take your parents somewhere, then u will need more miles, like I do.
Planning 3 J trip to south American from north Asia, and a few more intra Asia J trips. Things are burning fast.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 5:00 pm

the only thing I worried is if US Airways will devaluation miles without any further notice

Can I book my daughter rewards trips use my miles ?
Old Dec 4, 2013, 5:37 pm

Programs: Flying: VA; Buying: AA, AS, AV, BA, UA!
Originally Posted by ecgz88
the only thing I worried is if US Airways will devaluation miles without any further notice

Can I book my daughter rewards trips use my miles ?
A devaluation is very likely at the time USDM and AA Advantage are merged...very unlikely before then.

You can book trips for anyone you like using your miles.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 9:57 pm

Programs: All of Them
I did 4 shares this morning in my families accounts. All 4 posted instantaneously and no problems whatsoever. I live in tokyo so 3 more r/t ATL-TYO J tickets coming my way for what ended up being $1900. Good deal.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 10:23 pm

Thank you, louie!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.