Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 2, 2013, 4:41 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aztimm
Share the gift of travel this holiday season - share your miles with a friend or family member. It's an economical way to help someone travel.

This Cyber Week, from December 2–6, we're making sharing even sweeter with a special holiday bonus miles offer that can help you give up to DOUBLE the miles.

The more you share, the more bonus miles your friend or family member will receive.

US Website for info:
https://buy.points.com/marketing/usairways/landingpages/share.html?CAMPAIGNCODE=003_25_0110_BYUP50000BNS00 0000000_021213

Both accounts must be >= 12 days old.

NOTE: It is against the Flyertalk Guidelines & Rules to offer to trade, outside of Coupon Connection. Disciplinary action will be taken if there are posts to that effect.
Print Wikipost

100% Share promo Dec 02 to Dec 06

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2013, 11:58 am

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
Originally Posted by VLtone
Question is: Can we buy 2 first class tickets that way or will the 165k person need to share 15k back so that we each have 150k?
You have to share the miles. Whole amount for the award needs to come from same account when booking.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by Air Rarotonga
You have to share the miles. Whole amount for the award needs to come from same account when booking.
I really, really hope you're kidding.

How would we even do this? Share 135k miles for $1,350? That's absolutely ridiculous.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 12:39 pm

How would we even do this? Share 135k miles for $1,350? That's absolutely ridiculous.
Or just book two awards on separate PNRs. I've done something similar. I booked a trip for 3 online, wanted to upgrade to F. I needed the miles to come out of 2 accounts (I had enough for 1 seat, my wife had enough for the other 2). I called, had them split the PNR accordingly and had them apply the upgrades.

Pretty sure if you just shared the 15k to have enough for 1 award in each account, you could call up and get what you want. You'll just fly on separate PNRs.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 12:52 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Plat, SPG & Marriott Gold, CC Silver

He meant that you have to have the full amount of miles for the redemption in that account. So you can't do 135 from one account and 15 from another to equal 150. If the award you want costs 150, then one of you will be short the necesssary miles. And the max an account can receive is 50 (+50 bonus), so you need to play with the numbers to get the total you need.

Or if you can book at the lower mileage rate for biz, then you can book 1 award from 1 account and the 2nd award from the other account.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by PWMTrav
Or just book two awards on separate PNRs. I've done something similar. I booked a trip for 3 online, wanted to upgrade to F. I needed the miles to come out of 2 accounts (I had enough for 1 seat, my wife had enough for the other 2). I called, had them split the PNR accordingly and had them apply the upgrades.

Pretty sure if you just shared the 15k to have enough for 1 award in each account, you could call up and get what you want. You'll just fly on separate PNRs.
OK good to hear. I was thinking that would be absolutely insane to not allow that. Hopefully it's not too much of an undertaking to have to book 2 separately and get them in adjacent seats.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 1:02 pm
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
hmm so I did the sharing and one account posted instantly while the other one hasn't. I have the order confirmation but neither the miles left the account or were deposited to the other account. Does anyone know what the delay could be, and if there is a way to speed it up?

EDIT:
posted. Took a hour.

Last edited by jason8612; Dec 3, 2013 at 1:22 pm
Old Dec 3, 2013, 1:11 pm
zh

Programs: TK *G, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond,UA Silver
Originally Posted by iantowns
I read somewhere that accounts had to have a pre-existing balance of 1000 miles.

Is this not true?
I have been wondering too. I did a transfer to an acct that had a balance and the transfer was registered within a few minutes. However a transfer to an account setup in October (zero balance) done last night, still hasn't registered.

ZH

UPDATE: Just got posted - 18 hrs

Last edited by zh; Dec 3, 2013 at 1:36 pm Reason: update
Old Dec 3, 2013, 1:39 pm

Programs: Flying: VA; Buying: AA, AS, AV, BA, UA!
Hopefully it's not too much of an undertaking to have to book 2 separately and get them in adjacent seats.
When you call tell them its for 2 and there will be separate accounts...they can split the PNR at the end of the booking process. Don't book twice for 1 person each time...you may run into issues.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 2:15 pm

Programs: Chivas, Tequila, Good Beer
I got 45K transfered and got 90K total toget the GFs account to 100K and leave mine at just over 100K.

Now the booking question. I plan to go online and check awards. We can travel anytime so I look for the time spots and locations that have avilability. My only option I gather is to call US Air and explain I have 2 accounts 1 for each ticket abd pay the res fee? I have a good destination for the summer for 92K miles coach/FC combo. Any advice?
Old Dec 3, 2013, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jason8612
hmm so I did the sharing and one account posted instantly while the other one hasn't. I have the order confirmation but neither the miles left the account or were deposited to the other account. Does anyone know what the delay could be, and if there is a way to speed it up?

EDIT:
posted. Took a hour.
Hmmm. I was sharing miles around my family and all the transactions were instant. Except for the last one. The confirmation page showed up -- and the pending charge showed up when I checked my credit card online -- but no mileage transfer. This was about 2 hours ago. I guess I'll just wait until tomorrow, but then what do I do? If I call Dividend Miles, is there someone there who could straighten this out?
Old Dec 3, 2013, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by iahphx
Hmmm. I was sharing miles around my family and all the transactions were instant. Except for the last one. The confirmation page showed up -- and the pending charge showed up when I checked my credit card online -- but no mileage transfer. This was about 2 hours ago. I guess I'll just wait until tomorrow, but then what do I do? If I call Dividend Miles, is there someone there who could straighten this out?
most likely they will refer you to points.com

USDM can check to make sure the accounts are all in order (ie over 12 days old etc).
Old Dec 3, 2013, 3:48 pm

Programs: BA Gold - A3 Gold - FB Gold - IHG Plat - SPG Gold -Hyatt Platinum
It took 23hs to post my transfered miles.

Last edited by heramato; Dec 3, 2013 at 4:55 pm
Old Dec 3, 2013, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by heramato
I took 23hs to post my transfered miles.
Weird. Hard to understand why most would be instant and others would get lost.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 5:14 pm

Mine were instant today. I am counting on the miles to transfer 1:1 to AA sometime next year.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 6:05 pm

Should I park some in a dormant account?

During the Grand Slam promotion, I set up a DM miles account for my Mom. She doesn't fly them, doesn't do cc bonuses, etc., so the miles pretty much just sat there until I transferred the bulk of them over to my account.

I just got my 50k bonus miles by doing a swap with a friend, but am considering dropping 30,000 miles from my account into the dormant account in my Mom's name, taking it to 60,000+ miles (think there's like 100 miles there for now).

What's holding me back is the fear that the transaction doesn't make sense for me. Once the miles are in the dormant account, isn't it going to cost me .01/miles (+ taxes, etc.) to get them back to MY account? I have already maxed out my 50k bonus, so there's no "reward" for that transaction.

OR should I hold them in her account and use them to book a future trip in MY name?

For now, I'm going with option #3 - passing on the transaction.

Am I missing something obvious?

BTW, I have a good amount of DM now, so no pressing need for more.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.