Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

US/AA merger- MASTER DISCUSSION THREAD/incl 'when will US leave STAR'

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: Is an American Airlines/US Airways merger good for the traveling public?
Yes
28.19%
No
71.81%
Voters: 298. You may not vote on this poll

Old Nov 12, 2013, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aztimm
Note:

There is an existing thread in the AA forum that may be useful to US and AA Flyertalkers:
US-AA Merger: Just the Facts thread

As facts become posted, that should be the place to look.

Merger discussion, speculation, and other questions can be directed here, or the similar thread in the AA forum:
MERGER: US and AA 9 Dec 2013 and implications for AA flyers (new)

AA - US Merger Agreement / Announcement / DOJ Action Discussion (consolidated, and now closed to new posts)
Print Wikipost

US/AA merger- MASTER DISCUSSION THREAD/incl 'when will US leave STAR'

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2013, 9:59 am

Programs: US CP, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Superguy
Now this could get interesting - I wonder what "soon after the merger closes" means and how US and AA will straddle alliances. I don't see US exiting *A until the merger's closed, and even then, the exit from *A and entrance into OW is going to take some time. So will we have an airline that has it possible to earn *A credit on AA, or OW credit on US, or are we going to have an airline that only earns credit for the alliance of the operating credit?

If it's the latter, I see it getting really messy for pax that have combined carrier itineraries.
I don't see it being that messy. I think this could be accomplished by allowing you to put your US DM number on AA flights and being allowed to earn US miles and vice versa, similar to what we can do with UA/LH/etc today. Yes, its a bit odd since they aren't in the same alliance, but I don't see it is being out of the realm of fairly-easily-doable.
Old Apr 26, 2013, 10:23 am

Programs: spirit elite, MRgold Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by BoeingBoy
This just in...

Soon after the merger closes, he said, the goal is to allow passengers to book flights on both carriers on a single itinerary and combine some operations in Fort Worth, which means bringing some employees from US Airways’ current headquarters in Tempe, Ariz. Within six months, the two hope to start moving their planes around, matching the size of the plane with the demand on a route. They also want to let passengers earn and redeem miles on the other carrier’s frequent-flier plan, and harmonize some product offerings such as food and beverages on board and align some passenger processing procedures, Mr. Isom said.

Jim
So does this mean we will most likley have to wait six months to book award tickets on AA, or will it be sooner, sorry if my reading comprehension is only at a third grade level.
Old Apr 26, 2013, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by beachbrew
So does this mean we will most likley have to wait six months to book award tickets on AA, or will it be sooner, sorry if my reading comprehension is only at a third grade level.
Nobody knows, and there's nothing in the comments by the US execs that provides an answer.

When dates are known, I assume there will be a sticky thread with all the details.
Old Apr 26, 2013, 12:06 pm

Just announced today Free wine and headsets in Coach on US Airways Eurpoe flights. I think that is a good sign in reguards to whitch direction they are headed.
Old Apr 26, 2013, 1:34 pm

Location: The views I express here are not necessarily supported by any airline or codeshare partners, nor do I represent their views and/or opinions. They are my own OPINIONS dont like them dont read them.....
Originally Posted by AggieNzona
Just announced today Free wine and headsets in Coach on US Airways Eurpoe flights. I think that is a good sign in reguards to whitch direction they are headed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=mYNC7GWDOr0
Old Apr 26, 2013, 3:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP,2MM, DL Gold,Starwood PLT
Originally Posted by SFO777
AA never had and doesn't have a revenue problem. It had a COST problem.
What part of "US (and UA and DL) had the benefit of BK and lower labor/debt/pension costs that AA did not" are you having trouble with?
Not entirely true. AA was loosing ground on the revenue front for some time as well. Cost was i'd dare say the bigger problem, but their premium to the industry in revenue is not what it use to be.
Old Apr 26, 2013, 10:01 pm

Location: DL: Silver; AA: EX PLAT; UA: Silver; HY: DIA; HH: DIA; MR: TIT
Originally Posted by FWAAA
I'm curious as to your reasoning. UA has maintained E+ for 13+ years now and even Idiot Smisek decided to extend it to CO planes. That prompted DL to join the extra-legroom club and that caused AA to finally reverse course once again and introduce MCE. Part of the problem with AA management the past 10 years was the short-man Arpey's short-sighted decision to remove MRTC instead of copying UA's E+, which can be sold.

UA has claimed for years that E+ pays for itself via upsells to the masses. Even if it doesn't, it's a low-cost method of making tall elites less angry when their upgrade fails to clear.

And so now, having taken over AA, which will be the biggest airline in the world, Parker will go it alone with no extra-legroom seating? That flies in the face of common sense, as that would hand UA and DL a lot of business. Parker is going to need all the high revenue customers he can find so that he can afford the giant raises he's giving to all the legacy US pilots and FAs, in addition to the small raises he's giving the legacy AA employees.

Anything is possible, but Parker and his minions have repeated over and over the past two months that they won't make the same mistakes again or duplicate the mistakes that have plagued other mergers.

So why, exactly, would he not keep MCE and/or extend it to the US fleet? I expect US to begin converting its planes in short order in advance of the finalization of the merger. It takes mechanics merely an overnight to remove a row and re-adjust the others.

+1
Old Apr 27, 2013, 1:25 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
"Welcome to the New American" video?

This article from the Philadelphia Inquirer on the Media Day festivities references a video, "Welcome to the New American."

Has anyone found this video posted anywhere online?
Old Apr 27, 2013, 7:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Try the link here: http://www.aa.com/arriving
Old Apr 29, 2013, 6:32 am

Programs: US Airways Gold, DL Silver, Avis First, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Plat
The New American is Arriving (US and AA announce merger - MASTER DISCUSSION THREAD)

I sat next to a US Air supervisor last week my home airport doesn't have AA...I was concerned they would bail on my small launch pad. She then said some flights would stay us air shuttle flights....that didnt make sense to me
Old Apr 29, 2013, 7:16 am

Programs: None
One of two possibilities...

1 - Shuttle is the brand of the NE hourly shuttle operation connecting BOS/LGA/DCA. As such it will undoubtedly stay around.

2 - If she used "shuttle" (small s) as generic RJ/turboprop operations, they will also certainly stay around, although possibly not in all the smaller stations currently served. The Dash 8's currently used are getting long in the tooth while fuel prices make the 50 and under seat RJ's uneconomical.

Jim
Old Apr 29, 2013, 10:47 am

Programs: AA Plat
Date for combining US/AA accounts for elite qualification?

Hey, everyone - it is has been a while since I have been particularly active with US (been mostly flying Sky Team for the past few months) so I am not up to do date on the merger progress.

I am going to be flying several HKG-SYD trips starting this weekend. Being a route between two One World hubs, I have no viable Sky Team option at all, and no very attractive Star Alliance options (it is flown by good carriers like SQ, but with time-consuming connections). I may have a hard time requalifying on US this year anyway, so hate to waste mileage.

I could fly Virgin Atlantic, crediting to US for the first couple of trips, before they leave the program, but I have better schedule options with Qantas or Cathay Pacific. So, the question is: if I fly CX or QF and credit to my mostly-dormant AAdvantage account, is there a reasonable chance that the merger of the US and AA programs will occur in time for those miles to count for elite-qualification in 2013? Or does it look like the loyalty-program merger will be much further down the road?
Old Apr 29, 2013, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tacommuter
So, the question is: if I fly CX or QF and credit to my mostly-dormant AAdvantage account, is there a reasonable chance that the merger of the US and AA programs will occur in time for those miles to count for elite-qualification in 2013? Or does it look like the loyalty-program merger will be much further down the road?
Nobody knows. I wouldn't count on 2013 activity on both US and AA being added together to determine 2014 status. Theoretically, it could happen.
Old Apr 30, 2013, 1:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: US CP ; LH FTL ; *G
AA FFs should give some credit to DP. Judging from the direction US is moving, he learned from whatever mistakes he made. Also, US CS is not as bad as you think.

Ad to the date the FF progs will be combined, my money is on 2015.
Old Apr 30, 2013, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TomBrady
I would love this, but dont see it happening
Here's what Doug Parker told CrankyFlier:

Cranky: Do you consider premium economy, similar to Main Cabin Extra on American, is that something you have a view on right now?

Doug: Yeah, but I don’t think we’ve announced it yet but it’s one of the things we’re going to look at. Certainly the other guys have it, and there’s no doubt that customers will tell you for certain it’s one of those things that really matters. The offset to that is whether there’s enough [benefit to justify] the fewer seats, of course. Those are decisions we’re going to have to make, but it’s definitely a product attribute that matters to people.
http://crankyflier.com/2013/04/30/ac...eworld-part-2/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.