Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US miles as low as 1.1cpm (DM Multiplier promo)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2012, 2:19 am

T&C's on booking page

Prior to departure, this ticket is refundable and subject to a fee per passenger for changes or cancellation. The new itinerary will be priced at the lowest available published fare at the time of change, which may result in a fare increase.
After departure, this ticket is non-refundable and subject to a change fee per passenger. The new itinerary will be priced at the lowest available published fare at the time of change, which may result in a fare increase.
Government taxes and fees are subject to change after purchase.
Ticket is non-transferable.
Ticket expires one year from original date of issue. Unflown value expires one year from original date of issue.
You will be charged a $300.00 fee per passenger for the cancellation or refund of this itinerary.

Saw this? What does anyone make of the $300 fee...does this apply to 24 hour cancellation?
Old Sep 7, 2012, 9:02 am

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by puregravy

Saw this? What does anyone make of the $300 fee...does this apply to 24 hour cancellation?
no
Old Sep 7, 2012, 9:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA, AA, Hyatt, Marriott
This information is from the comments of TPG blog.

Allen: " I had my account locked for presumably this. The first time I had a paid ticket for work was going LAX to LHR and i did it once because it seemed like a pretty good deal. I mean, it is! That worked out fine, but I flew that flight. I then tried again but attempted to refund the ticket. US held onto the refund for 6 weeks (I had to call AMEX to suspend the charge as I waited for the refund) and about 4 days after I cancelled locked my account. I've tried several to get through to someone at US who can unlock it but they keep sending me in circles. Lost about 265k miles not including the multiplier i was trying to get."

Originally Posted by LynchMob
1) TPG gave appropriate credit to the FT thread. I didn't see anywhere in his post where he took credit for the find. Additionally he provided a detailed write up of his step by step approach to take advantage of the offer and commented on his results.

2) Numerous posts to this thread have claimed that USAir has suspended accounts for abusing this offer yet no one has claimed that their account has actually been suspended. This would not be the first time in FT history that posters have discouraged others from taking advantage of a good find.

3) Why does it upset you that a blogger is informing his readers of current offers? Why did the OP make a thread if he didn't want others to get in on the deal? IMO bloggers like TPG and others sort through the best of what is out there for those that don't have the time to read every FT thread.
Old Sep 8, 2012, 3:30 am

Originally Posted by kunk00
This information is from the comments of TPG blog.

Allen: " I had my account locked for presumably this. The first time I had a paid ticket for work was going LAX to LHR and i did it once because it seemed like a pretty good deal. I mean, it is! That worked out fine, but I flew that flight. I then tried again but attempted to refund the ticket. US held onto the refund for 6 weeks (I had to call AMEX to suspend the charge as I waited for the refund) and about 4 days after I cancelled locked my account. I've tried several to get through to someone at US who can unlock it but they keep sending me in circles. Lost about 265k miles not including the multiplier i was trying to get."
if that comment was there, TPG deleted it because its no longer there.
Old Sep 8, 2012, 11:08 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, UA GS, AA EXP
did anyone get refund after you canceled the ticket?

I made a reservation on sep. 6, 2012 and cancel it after bought the miles. But the activity of my credit card shows US airway charged me and did not refund me the ticket till today. Anyone have similar experience?
Old Sep 8, 2012, 11:42 am

Originally Posted by DOUDOU1980

I made a reservation on sep. 6, 2012 and cancel it after bought the miles. But the activity of my credit card shows US airway charged me and did not refund me the ticket till today. Anyone have similar experience?
What's your question? You seem to have said you already got your refund.
Old Sep 8, 2012, 12:30 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive

Originally Posted by ianturner
What's your question? You seem to have said you already got your refund.
Just a hunch, but I think that DOUDOU1980 means that as of today, he has still seen no refund on his credit card.

If so, I can only say that on the two occasions I cancelled tickets in the last year, both within 24 hours, on one occasion the money was refunded to my credit card in two days or so, but in the other case it was more like 10 days or two weeks.
Old Sep 9, 2012, 6:40 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, UA GS, AA EXP
Originally Posted by Biggie Fries
Just a hunch, but I think that DOUDOU1980 means that as of today, he has still seen no refund on his credit card.

If so, I can only say that on the two occasions I cancelled tickets in the last year, both within 24 hours, on one occasion the money was refunded to my credit card in two days or so, but in the other case it was more like 10 days or two weeks.
sorry for my english. I did not find refund. It has been 5 days.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 5:12 am

Programs: SPG PLAT, GP DIAMOND
Now if you triple your miles on SFO-TLV in envoy, you'll pay $1999 to multiply your miles...
Old Sep 10, 2012, 8:16 am
ucc

How is booking refundable tickets with no intention to fly taking away inventory and increases prices?

Originally Posted by Nikolaos
First of all, i agree with tommyleo that TPG just copy-pasted stuff from FT providing limited citation of the source (he mentions in the comments that he "did his own research" - yeah right!).

More importantly, what shows that he is ignorant and potentially dangerous for his readers is the fact that he encourages them to book refundable tickets to take advantage of the multiplier. Booking refundable tickets with no intention to fly is a red-red-red flag for airlines, as it takes away valuable inventory. Moreover, it increases the price of the tickets for the rest of us!!

So one would expect that airlines would (and should) go hard on people that abuse it. Thankfully, booking refundable tickets just to take advantage of the multiplier is easily traceable. The sad part is that most of the people that will have their accounts audited will be people that just put faith on an "alleged" expert that is as ignorant as they are, regarding how airlines act.

So, to answer votrix's question the same way i did for TPG, booking refundable tickets and canceling just before the upgrade window is also not against the T&Cs. But airlines tracked these people (thankfully) and suspended their accounts (thankfully x2)!!

In a comment that was removed by the TPG's blog i cited two threads from FT that refer to the abuse of the option to cancel of refundable tickets (I am sure they are many more).

Maybe it will be useful for some to take a look:

Phantom fare to Ensure Upgrade Availability

Phantom Fare to Ensure Empty Seat Next to You
Old Sep 10, 2012, 10:29 am
soy

Programs: various
Originally Posted by meecks
Now if you triple your miles on SFO-TLV in envoy, you'll pay $1999 to multiply your miles...
3x miles on SFO-TLV are still showing at $599 for me
Old Sep 10, 2012, 12:24 pm

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
Originally Posted by ucc
How is booking refundable tickets with no intention to fly taking away inventory and increases prices?
Because when you book a refundable ticket, you take a seat out of the inventory for that flight -- and less inventory on a flight (usually) increases the price of the remainder of seats. And depending on the time when you cancel the ticket to get a refund, that added seat may not drop the prices since fares typically increase closer to the flight date.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 10:24 pm

Yes

My refund posted 4-5 days after cancellation

Old Sep 10, 2012, 10:28 pm

Programs: UA S, Marriott P
Originally Posted by samineni3
My refund posted 4-5 days after cancellation
cancelled my ticket on 6th, CC statement says refund came in same day.
Although i dont think it actually posted until 3-4 days later
Old Sep 10, 2012, 11:29 pm

US airways really locked acct for cancelling refundable ticket?. I saw one poster mentioned it here and TPG. Anyone tried more than once?
Originally Posted by soy
3x miles on SFO-TLV are still showing at $599 for me

Last edited by samineni3; Sep 10, 2012 at 11:30 pm Reason: clarify

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.