Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US miles as low as 1.1cpm (DM Multiplier promo)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2012, 1:43 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A-, UA S, HH ♦, IHG Spire, Hertz Prez O, TSA Disparager
Originally Posted by jmk2135
Yep.
Sweet. Thank you!
Old Aug 20, 2012, 2:27 pm

Programs: US Silver, AA Gold
You don't even need to book a flexible fare. You can cancel any fare within 24 hours, so the cheapest one still works.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 2:57 pm

Programs: US CP, MR Plat, SPG Plat, HHonors Gold, National X
Originally Posted by gwar69
You don't even need to book a flexible fare. You can cancel any fare within 24 hours, so the cheapest one still works.
Keep in mind that the 50% bonus is awarded 1-2 weeks after the flight and it is explicitly stated in the T&Cs that you won't receive the bonus, if you cancel or don't fly the ticket!
Old Aug 20, 2012, 4:11 pm
formerly RZachSmith

Yea, so you can get the 1.6cpm easily, but not the ~1cpm unless you fly
Old Aug 20, 2012, 5:54 pm

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
Originally Posted by pjs91015
So I am about to book an October flight to FCO and I am looking at the multiplier deal. With out the 50% it is 1.6cpm (ho hum). But with the 50% bonus it is 1.05, which is a good enough deal for me to do it.

The T&C states that purchase needs to happen in Aug 12-Sept 12 and I assume the flight can be later, although that is not explicitly stated.

Should I do this?

If I had a use for US miles and could buy them for 1.05 cpm, I'd definitely buy them.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 9:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Excellent point! Didn't consider it, but it means things should clear very quickly from your account - thanks!
Old Aug 21, 2012, 1:48 pm

Programs: Ritz P, HHonors G
I was about to book an economy flexible ticket from FCO to SFO, but notice on the ticket t&c: You will be charged a USD$222.00 fee per passenger for the cancellation or refund of this itinerary. Am I mistaken? But if I change it from SFO to FCO, the 222 dollar charge disappeared from the t&c, so flight ticket even though flexible, is still subject to a hefty fee if origniated from EU..... I guess

Last edited by StokeFlyer; Aug 21, 2012 at 1:55 pm
Old Aug 21, 2012, 2:02 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, USDM Gold, National Exec Elite, IHG Dumped-now Kettle, SPG Platinum
What are your opinions on buying the triple miles on a flight that work is paying for? Since I'm expensing the trip, my miles for the actual trip are effectively 0cpm. I'm doing PIT-CLT-IAH and back. Do I spring for the triple mile upgrade at my own cost?
Old Aug 21, 2012, 2:50 pm

Programs: US Silver, AA Gold
If your company books your ticket, you can't buy the multiplier. It is only available when you buy the ticket directly from usairways.com. That said, if you buy your ticket and have it reimbursed, and the multiplier seems like a good deal, take it, especially considering the current bonus offer.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 3:04 pm

Programs: US Silver, UA Plat, HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold
If your company books your ticket, you can't buy the multiplier. It is only available when you buy the ticket directly from usairways.com. That said, if you buy your ticket and have it reimbursed, and the multiplier seems like a good deal, take it, especially considering the current bonus offer.
I haven't done it, but my understanding is that you can also do the multiplier upon check-in. I assume this would work even if booked via one's company and presumably you would enter your own credit card info at that point. But I could be wrong.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 3:58 pm

Programs: SPG PLT
I just booked a ticket and cancelled. Usually the miles post right away but it hasn't posted yet. Have they caught on and changed it now?
Old Aug 21, 2012, 4:18 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, USDM Gold, National Exec Elite, IHG Dumped-now Kettle, SPG Platinum
I book the ticket and get reimbursed.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by oldsmoboi
What are your opinions on buying the triple miles on a flight that work is paying for? Since I'm expensing the trip, my miles for the actual trip are effectively 0cpm. I'm doing PIT-CLT-IAH and back. Do I spring for the triple mile upgrade at my own cost?
I don't think the question whether or not to buy the triple miles changes in any way based on who is paying for the underlying trip.

The extra miles cost you the same no matter who paid for the trip. They are still 1 to 1.6 cents per mile, depending on which of the strategies you use here. Either that works for you or doesn't.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 8:49 pm

Ah, I was misunderstanding then. I had the impression that using the triple miles bonus + 50% was changing the overall CPM when you included the base fare as well.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 5:52 am

Programs: QF WP, AC*G
If one were to do this, how quickly does US post the refund to a credit card?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.