Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US miles as low as 1.1cpm (DM Multiplier promo)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2012, 6:00 am

Programs: US CP, MR Plat, SPG Plat, HHonors Gold, National X
Originally Posted by oldsmoboi
What are your opinions on buying the triple miles on a flight that work is paying for? Since I'm expensing the trip, my miles for the actual trip are effectively 0cpm. I'm doing PIT-CLT-IAH and back. Do I spring for the triple mile upgrade at my own cost?
Apart from the moral issues, i believe that the multiplier appears as a separate charge. I think it is going to be hard to justify that expense..

Originally Posted by jmk2135
I haven't done it, but my understanding is that you can also do the multiplier upon check-in. I assume this would work even if booked via one's company and presumably you would enter your own credit card info at that point. But I could be wrong.
If you do the multiplier at check-in, you won't receive the 50% bonus!
Old Aug 22, 2012, 7:40 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, USDM Gold, National Exec Elite, IHG Dumped-now Kettle, SPG Platinum
Moral issues?

I don't intend to expense the miles bonus expense, just the cost of the ticket. Yes, they appear as separate charges.... and if you pay for it with your US Airways card, you even get double points on the dollar amount.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 8:51 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, USDM Gold, National Exec Elite, IHG Dumped-now Kettle, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by Nikolaos

At least from the DM website promoting this, that seems to be incorrect.

From the T/C:

You can double or triple your miles every time you fly for as little as $9 when you book or check in on usairways.com. And August 13 – September 12, 2012, you’ll get a 50% bonus on your multiplied miles when you use Dividend Miles Multiplier.*
Old Aug 22, 2012, 9:23 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Drat! My next flight is 17Sep. In the words of Maxwell Smart, "missed it by that much."
Old Aug 22, 2012, 9:30 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Originally Posted by Nikolaos
Um, okay, since I don't seem to be the only one confused by this .... so this weekend during OLCIs I did some quick math and convinced myself that the bonus was not incorporated in what I was being offered. I realize that multipliers can vary depending on mileage, but I felt that I was looking at something more like 1.7cpm (although I was in sufficient fogs that maybe my mental math was bad).

So then somewhere upstream I saw a quote from the T&C that made me think that maybe I had misunderstood, maybe this was only for tickets sold during the month promotion, not for flights during that time purchased earlier ... ?
Old Aug 22, 2012, 9:41 am

Programs: Military Space-A, UA Plat, AS MVP Gold 75K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HHonors Gold
Moral issues?

I don't intend to expense the miles bonus expense, just the cost of the ticket. Yes, they appear as separate charges.... and if you pay for it with your US Airways card, you even get double points on the dollar amount.
Is this for sure? When I just purchase miles straight up, it goes through points.com and doesn't count as an airline purchase. (nor as a travel purchase if I use Chase Sapphire.)
Old Aug 22, 2012, 10:06 am

Originally Posted by slocouple
Is this for sure? When I just purchase miles straight up, it goes through points.com and doesn't count as an airline purchase. (nor as a travel purchase if I use Chase Sapphire.)
I will go back to my US Airways statement from the last time I did this and look.

Edit: Yep. I bought a mileage multiplier on 7/14 for $39. It posted as a US Airways purchase on my US Airways Mastercard and I received 78 miles for the transaction.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 11:45 am

Programs: AS AA
I will go back to my US Airways statement from the last time I did this and look.

Edit: Yep. I bought a mileage multiplier on 7/14 for $39. It posted as a US Airways purchase on my US Airways Mastercard and I received 78 miles for the transaction.
I can also confirm that my miles multiplier purchase was directly charged by US Airways. It was a separate transaction from ticket purchase, and there was even a 037 ticket number associated with miles multiplier.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 1:09 pm

I have the option to buy mileage multiplier on flight from Europe to Philly. Considering the %50, that gives me an additional 11461 miles for $149. That would be 1.3 cents per mile. What do you think? Is it worth it for dividend miles?
Old Aug 24, 2012, 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by mizzou1
I have the option to buy mileage multiplier on flight from Europe to Philly. Considering the %50, that gives me an additional 11461 miles for $149. That would be 1.3 cents per mile. What do you think? Is it worth it for dividend miles?
That's cheaper than you can buy them even with the 100% bonus on purchased miles they are offering some customers right now.
Old Aug 26, 2012, 5:19 am

Programs: meltdowngraded from "F" and "C" , Accor Plt, BW Dia, ihg G, UA 0.9999MM
I have a question.

If the actual flight miles is n,

do CPs get 5n miles
and
general members get 2.5n miles
with this promo and the double maximizer?

Do CPs get 7n miles
and
general members get 4n miles
with this promo and the triple maximizer?

And do they pay the same amount of money?
Old Aug 26, 2012, 6:29 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: US CP ; LH FTL ; *G
Originally Posted by O Sora
I have a question.

If the actual flight miles is n,

do CPs get 5n miles
and
general members get 2.5n miles
with this promo and the double maximizer?

Do CPs get 7n miles
and
general members get 4n miles
with this promo and the triple maximizer?

And do they pay the same amount of money?
If CP flies 1000 BIS miles:

Base miles: 1000 BIS + 1000 CP bonus = 2000 miles
x2 DMM: + 2000 DMM miles
+50% DMM: +1000 DMM bonus
for 5000 miles total

x3 DMM: +4000 miles
+50% DMM: +2000 DMM bonus
for 8000 miles total

Usually DMM miles are priced at 2cpm, but when you fly just below 25k or just below 50k BIS miles, you get pricing we are talking about.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 5:29 pm

Programs: US Airways CP, UA 1K, DL Plat, Marriott Gold, SPG Plat
Mileage posting

I bought my ticket with the mileage multiplier 6 days ago and the mileage has not posted yet. It seems to everyone else that it posted immediately. Anyone else have a delay?
Old Aug 27, 2012, 6:18 pm

Programs: QF WP, AC*G
Originally Posted by *A Flyer
If one were to do this, how quickly does US post the refund to a credit card?
Thought I might ask this again. Does anyone have any advice on this?
Old Aug 28, 2012, 9:42 am

Programs: US CP, MR Plat, SPG Plat, HHonors Gold, National X
Correct. My bad. I misread the T&C of the promo that state that if you use the multiplier online, you cannot use it again at check-in!

Originally Posted by Biggie Fries

So then somewhere upstream I saw a quote from the T&C that made me think that maybe I had misunderstood, maybe this was only for tickets sold during the month promotion, not for flights during that time purchased earlier ... ?
The T&C of the promo refer to multiplier transactions that are completed during the month of the promo. Therefore, i don't see why the bonus wouldn't apply to any flight booked during the promo period, if you do the multiplier online.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.