Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US Airways miles expiring, how/when keep/reinstate them (merged)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2011, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Richard Chen
To help others since the Devil's in the details, here's the text of US's offer to me dated 2011-01-06:
I'm embarrassed because my wife today got the "three choices" expiration email, too. Fortunately, she signed up for a Dividend Miles credit card a couple of weeks ago (the 35K bonus) and it would seem like her miles will magically reappear once her first purchase on the card is posted.

The problem is that, other than collecting the occasional lucrative bonus (and redeeming the miles), we have no real need for the Dividend Miles program these days since we're lifetime CO plat members. Once CO joined the Star Alliance (and has now merged with UA), our "real" DM activity evaporated.

It looks like my kids accounts will face expiration this summer. I saw the offer to install the toolbar, which seems like a mild PITA. Is it easy to uninstall? Otherwise, I'm guessing there's a simple purchase option that will still work? Wasn't there something like points.com where you can join for free and magically get a few points?
Old Mar 7, 2011, 8:06 am

Programs: US Chairman, Marriott Platinum, PCR Platinum, and SPG Gold
Originally Posted by iahphx

It looks like my kids accounts will face expiration this summer. I saw the offer to install the toolbar, which seems like a mild PITA. Is it easy to uninstall? Otherwise, I'm guessing there's a simple purchase option that will still work? Wasn't there something like points.com where you can join for free and magically get a few points?
It is easy to install and uninstall. If you don't want your main browser messed with what-so-ever, use your backup browser (i.e. if you use Firefox, use Explorer). Once you install it on one browser, you can log in and out with multiple DM #s. I've done this for 5 or 6 friends and family already.
Old Mar 7, 2011, 8:12 am

Programs: AA Plat
I saw the offer to install the toolbar, which seems like a mild PITA. Is it easy to uninstall?
The toolbar is a piece of cake to install and uninstall. And you can earn miles in about 5 minutes. I used it last month to help my mom extend her account activity.

As an aside, I hadn't been tracking the activity, but my mom forwarded me the pre-expiration email that she received warning that the miles would expire soon. When we logged into her account it was incredibly "in-your-face" about the fact that expiration was coming soon. When you click the account, the screen fades to dark gray, and there's a big white box that pops up indicating expiration is coming soon, specifies the date, and you have to click a big red button to proceed. Seems US is doing just about everything it can, short of calling you on the phone, to advise that miles will expire soon. Much improved from a few years ago.
Old Mar 9, 2011, 6:03 pm

Am I missing something? How is everyone buying music on itunes with dividend miles? I see how to access Itunes through the mall, but how does it know to link back to your miles? Or are you all just using a Dividend Miles CC?

Thanks
Old Mar 9, 2011, 7:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wadd3456
Am I missing something? How is everyone buying music on itunes with dividend miles? I see how to access Itunes through the mall, but how does it know to link back to your miles? Or are you all just using a Dividend Miles CC?

Thanks
The point is, you GET miles for buying music through the portal.

The activity on the account extends the life of the miles.
Old Mar 10, 2011, 4:32 am

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by josephstern
The point is, you GET miles for buying music through the portal.

The activity on the account extends the life of the miles.
So then, yes, you must be using some sort dividend miles creditcard linked to iTunes.
Old Mar 10, 2011, 7:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So then, yes, you must be using some sort dividend miles creditcard linked to iTunes.
No - not at all. You can even use iTunes credit that's already stored on the iTunes account.

It's the act of clicking through the US DM mall that gets the credit. iTunes is paying the mall for referring the customer (you) to iTunes. And the mall is passing on part of that credit to you in the form of miles.
Old Mar 10, 2011, 7:49 am

Originally Posted by josephstern
No - not at all. You can even use iTunes credit that's already stored on the iTunes account.

It's the act of clicking through the US DM mall that gets the credit. iTunes is paying the mall for referring the customer (you) to iTunes. And the mall is passing on part of that credit to you in the form of miles.
I guess I am not grasping how iTunes knows it was opened using the US DM mall. It doesn't appear to be any different then any other time I open it.

Since it takes some time to pop up through the DM, something tells me that I'd buy a song, it wouldn't register through US DM then I'd be out all my miles
Old Mar 10, 2011, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I guess I am not grasping how iTunes knows it was opened using the US DM mall. It doesn't appear to be any different then any other time I open it.

Since it takes some time to pop up through the DM, something tells me that I'd buy a song, it wouldn't register through US DM then I'd be out all my miles
That's the way affiliate programs work. Amazon really pioneered the widespread use of them, and they're all over the internet now. Cookies are set, and the experience is transparent for the user.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Affiliate_marketing
Old Mar 10, 2011, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ejh25
It is easy to install and uninstall. If you don't want your main browser messed with what-so-ever, use your backup browser (i.e. if you use Firefox, use Explorer). Once you install it on one browser, you can log in and out with multiple DM #s. I've done this for 5 or 6 friends and family already.
Thanks. Now I have to muster the enthusiasm for it. I've got a couple months before my kids' points expire.

Somebody also said you can use an iTunes gift card to accomplish the same thing. I think one of my kids got one for X-mas with 10 bucks on it. I guess I can go through the DM shopping mall and buy a song with the card? Rinse and repeat for each kid. Perhaps that's simpler.
Old Mar 10, 2011, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks. Now I have to muster the enthusiasm for it. I've got a couple months before my kids' points expire.

Somebody also said you can use an iTunes gift card to accomplish the same thing. I think one of my kids got one for X-mas with 10 bucks on it. I guess I can go through the DM shopping mall and buy a song with the card? Rinse and repeat for each kid. Perhaps that's simpler.
So easy - and it'll use $5 and change from your gift card.

Just quit the browser and clear the related cookies before each transaction.
Old Mar 26, 2011, 12:40 pm

Programs: All major Airlines, Hotel Chains, Credit Cards and Car Rentals
Need some urgent help. Miles expiring tomorrow!

Edited to add: Miles are expiring 3/30 and my upcoming trip is only on 4/1.

I have a US account with 47K miles and expiring tomorrow. Yes, tomorrow. Luckily, I noticed it when I added all of my reward programs into AwardWallet today. Are there any relatively inexpensive and quick ways to save my miles? Flying at this point is not an option although, I have an upcoming trip next weekend on UA/CO.

Would really appreciate help and guidance from the experts on US Divindend Miles board.
Old Mar 26, 2011, 1:24 pm

I think, fastest is buying miles direct from US airways. This is direct purchase, so must be shortest way.
Old Apr 12, 2011, 11:58 am

Best use of 4624 Dividend miles

Hi

All my miles 4624 are expiring soon and I'm trying to get something out of them since I am not flying US Airways too much.

Seems I can get 19$ at Points.com (btw, is there any catch to this?)
or subscriptions to Wall Street Journal, etc.

Do you guys see other options?
What's the best deal today for converting Dividend miles to Continental miles?

Thank you
Old Apr 12, 2011, 12:05 pm

Programs: AA PlatPro, Hilton Diamond
You might want to consider donating the miles if you do not have a good use for them. There are a lot of good charities that you can donate the mailes to directly from the USAirways.com website.

http://www.usairways.com/en-US/divid...natemiles.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.