Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US Airways miles expiring, how/when keep/reinstate them (merged)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2010, 7:31 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ibr2008
dd mall? forgive my ignorance
Its actually DM Mall or also know as Dividend Miles Mall. You can find the information about it on the US Airways website. Its a collection of merchants that give miles for making purchases. You can also do something as simple as downloading a song from itunes and that will get you miles.
Old Jan 7, 2011, 2:15 pm

Thumbs up Easiest way ever to keep miles from exp.

My son, who is in the US Military serving overseas, DM account, has 34K miles and I got the letter that it would expire next month with no activity.
On Dec 31st I went online to buy something on his account and noticed the "Download dividend miles toolbar" I did that and made some searches in the browser (You get 1 mile for every 3 searches). I earned him 10 miles and decided to see how long that would take to post. Today I checked his account and he had the 10 new miles. So that cost nothing and took only a week to get in the account. I assume since it was Dec 31, they update that once a month. Now my son will earn a few miles as I surf the net keeping his account active in perpetuity. This was way easier then Flowers or I-tunes are anything else for quick and free activity.
Old Jan 7, 2011, 3:14 pm

Programs: US CP, UA, HH Gold, Marriott Plat, DL, AA, CO, ++
Here's what I'm seeing: They send the points request on the last day of the month, and they post in 7 days. Mine had an activity date of 12/31/10, and posted on 01/06/11.

The toolbar isn't "all that". And, it also prevents me from using www.google.com in the browser where I've installed it.

HTSC

Originally Posted by AggieNzona
My son, who is in the US Military serving overseas, DM account, has 34K miles and I got the letter that it would expire next month with no activity.
On Dec 31st I went online to buy something on his account and noticed the "Download dividend miles toolbar" I did that and made some searches in the browser (You get 1 mile for every 3 searches). I earned him 10 miles and decided to see how long that would take to post. Today I checked his account and he had the 10 new miles. So that cost nothing and took only a week to get in the account. I assume since it was Dec 31, they update that once a month. Now my son will earn a few miles as I surf the net keeping his account active in perpetuity. This was way easier then Flowers or I-tunes are anything else for quick and free activity.
Old Jan 7, 2011, 6:25 pm

Love the US Air toolbar - i earned 55 miles for a few days in Dec and already have 43 miles in Jan!!
Old Jan 17, 2011, 3:46 pm

Programs: AA, BA, QR
getting miles reinstated

my mom just told me that she "lost" 95k miles on usair.

is there a way she can get them reinstated - she will not be able to to take on any challenge flight runs for the miles.

thanks,
Old Jan 17, 2011, 8:36 pm
Original Member

Programs: SPG/Marriott Lifetime Gold, Amtrak Guest Rewards, UA Silver
Originally Posted by ibr2008
my mom just told me that she "lost" 95k miles on usair.

is there a way she can get them reinstated - she will not be able to to take on any challenge flight runs for the miles.

thanks,
My mother lost about 80,000 in 2010; when I called, I was told one way to get them reinstated was to get a USAirways credit card -- one purchase on her part got them reinstated immediately.
Old Feb 12, 2011, 5:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM, HH Diamond, Marriott/SPG Gold (UA comp)
Originally Posted by DivMiler
My mother lost about 80,000 in 2010; when I called, I was told one way to get them reinstated was to get a USAirways credit card -- one purchase on her part got them reinstated immediately.
My kid is out 18,000 miles, too young for a CC; Apart from buying a ticket or paying $100 fee, are there any other ways to get the miles back?
Old Feb 13, 2011, 6:56 am
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
Originally Posted by weezl
My kid is out 18,000 miles, too young for a CC; Apart from buying a ticket or paying $100 fee, are there any other ways to get the miles back?
I think of it as buying 18k miles for 100$ - a no brainer.
Old Feb 24, 2011, 10:58 am

How to get forfeited miles back?

I had an old US Air account with some miles in it. In signing up all my accounts with Award Wallet I received an update notification that these miles have been forfeited and will expire by 5/31/11 if not reinstated which I am not going to pay to do.

Any other way to get these miles back? I do not have any trips planned in the near future.
Old Feb 24, 2011, 11:12 am

Programs: Marriott titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, AS, UA, AA, TWA, PAN AM, PSA
Originally Posted by toddreg
I had an old US Air account with some miles in it. In signing up all my accounts with Award Wallet I received an update notification that these miles have been forfeited and will expire by 5/31/11 if not reinstated which I am not going to pay to do.

Any other way to get these miles back? I do not have any trips planned in the near future.
I'm not sure what you mean when you say the miles have been forfeited and will expire by 5/31/11. If they've been forfeited than it seems to me that there are no miles left to expire. If they will expire because of inactivity then all you need is activity on the account. Check the US AIr site and see what other programs will earn you miles. With most airline programs as long as you earn one mile a year your miles will not expire. The easiest way to earn miles is to sign up for their restaurant program (under thier mileage partners). You enter your credit card info on their site and when you eat at one of the restaurants listed, using a credit card that you entered, you get miles. It doesn't take long to sign up and get credit. If you signed up today and eat at a restaurant on the program tomorrow you should have mileage credit within a couple of weeks. You can see a list of restaurants in your area when you sign up.
Old Feb 24, 2011, 11:13 am

Strange I agree

I thought the same as far as the forfeiture goes. Maybe they give you a grace period or something. I will check out their site as suggested, thanks.
Old Feb 24, 2011, 11:36 am

I just stumbled across this free points offer

http://usairways.skymall.com/site/usairways/toolbar

Just installed it and made 6 searches. Wonder if this will reactivate the account. In the alert I got it only gave 2 options. One to pay $50, the second is to earn miles with credit card partners. No other options were given so we will see if the above search toolbar trick will work. How long should it take to see if points show up and account is reactivated?
Old Feb 24, 2011, 12:10 pm

Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,
http://usairways.skymall.com/site/usairways/toolbar

Just installed it and made 6 searches. Wonder if this will reactivate the account. In the alert I got it only gave 2 options. One to pay $50, the second is to earn miles with credit card partners. No other options were given so we will see if the above search toolbar trick will work. How long should it take to see if points show up and account is reactivated?
That sounds like you're in the grace period after when the miles expire/are forfeited, but before you can kiss them goodbye forever. The toolbar probably will not work for you; they seem to be pretty aggressive about redeeming the keepalive options to credit card or fee payment. It's certainly worth a try but I'd not be too optimistic. You'll probably end up with the life of the account kept alive, and the balance reflecting only the toolbar search miles rather than the search miles plus the expired miles.

You should ask yourself why is it important to keep the miles. Clearly you've not had any activity in the US account for 18 or 24 months; I forget exactly where the expiry is, but either way, that's a long time. It's not a significant number of miles, otherwise the keepalive fee would be higher. If it's not worth $50 to you to retain them, are they worth retaining at all? Sometimes with orphaned miles on carriers you rarely fly, it's just better to let them expire and not look back.
Old Mar 5, 2011, 11:18 pm

Programs: UA .5M, Vistana 1-Star owner
Thumbs down us airways sucks

Originally Posted by Uh Clem
I'm not sure what you mean when you say the miles have been forfeited and will expire by 5/31/11....
answer is:
Originally Posted by dcpatti
That sounds like you're in the grace period after when the miles expire/are forfeited, but before you can kiss them goodbye forever. ... they seem to be pretty aggressive about redeeming the keepalive options to credit card or fee payment. ...it's just better to let them expire and not look back.
+1

... In the alert I got it only gave 2 options. One to pay $50, the second is to earn miles with credit card partners. No other options were given...
To help others since the Devil's in the details, here's the text of US's offer to me dated 2011-01-06:
Originally Posted by usairways.com
Get your Dividend Miles back
Our records indicate that 40,050 miles were forfeited because your last activity date (06-10-2009) was more than 18 months ago. Learn more about our membership policy.
As a special offer to you, we're giving you an opportunity to reinstate your forfeited miles. To get your miles back, you can:
  1. Earn miles by flying on US Airways.*
  2. Pay a service charge by logging in to your account.
  3. Sign up and earn miles with one of our credit or debit cards.**
Reactivate your account now and we'll automatically reinstate your miles. In order to reinstate your miles by flying on US Airways, you must fly at least one leg of your itinerary by 03-30-2011.

Terms & conditions: *In order to reinstate your miles by flying on US Airways, you must fly at least one leg of your itinerary by the above offer date.

**Option to reactivate your account with a US Airways credit card or debit card is available only to applicants who are citizens or permanent residents of the United States. In order to reinstate miles as part of the credit/debit card offer, member must apply, be approved and make at least one qualifying purchase.
I'm not giving them a cent beacuse US Airways sucks.
Old Mar 6, 2011, 4:05 am

Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,
Originally Posted by Richard Chen
answer is:+1

To help others since the Devil's in the details, here's the text of US's offer to me dated 2011-01-06:I'm not giving them a cent beacuse US Airways sucks.
Usairways does not suck for holding you to the terms of the contract you entered into. You may be able to find plenty of reasons why US does suck. But I don't think the change fee is one. Want a cheap ticket? It comes with restrictions. Want an unrestricted ticket? Then pay for that instead.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.