Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US Airways miles expiring, how/when keep/reinstate them (merged)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2011, 12:15 pm

Programs: Too many to list. Status is a half dozen.
Gee. My mom's account has 0 miles. Last activity was 12/30/2009. But per email, if she pays $25 by 6/29 those 0 miles will remain active another 18 months.
Old Apr 22, 2011, 4:01 am

Programs: UA MM 1K/*G & Marriott Gold, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Forfeited miles - can DM agent reinstate miles in certain cases?

I just realized that I have forfeited 68K miles and have until 5/30 to fly US or get credit/debit card etc... I did most of my flying on America West in 2005-06 (when I also made the lowly Silver for 2 years), and I was under the impression that the miles had no expiration (looks like the policy changed in 2007)... I don't recall getting any letter or advanced notice/email regarding the mileage expiration either :-(

Has any FlyerTalk veteran managed to get their miles reinstated by somehow convincing/cajoling/sweet-talking the DM customer service agent? ;-)

Would greatly appreciate any pointers to get the miles back without having to get dinged on my FICO scores for credit card application as I may not be flying US in the immediate future.
Old Apr 22, 2011, 7:08 am

Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,
Originally Posted by DrVC
I just realized that I have forfeited 68K miles and have until 5/30 to fly US or get credit/debit card etc... I did most of my flying on America West in 2005-06 (when I also made the lowly Silver for 2 years), and I was under the impression that the miles had no expiration (looks like the policy changed in 2007)... I don't recall getting any letter or advanced notice/email regarding the mileage expiration either :-(

Has any FlyerTalk veteran managed to get their miles reinstated by somehow convincing/cajoling/sweet-talking the DM customer service agent? ;-)

Would greatly appreciate any pointers to get the miles back without having to get dinged on my FICO scores for credit card application as I may not be flying US in the immediate future.
I wouldn't count on being able to cajole or sweet-talk an agent into waiving this fee; they don't usually budge on this. If you're getting your DM statements in email every month, the expiry info is right on there, so it's in your best interest to keep your email addy up to date with US, and to actually read the emails they send you.

One has to ask, though, might it not be better to just let these miles go? I know I would find a good use for the 68k miles but then again, I'd not let them go stale. It's an account you've not used in years (and possibly forgotten about) on an airline you never fly. Do you *really* want or need a credit card just to save the miles? Will whatever you use the miles for something that costs more than the reinstatement fee AND you were going to purchase anyway? Or are you at this point just throwing good money after bad (miles)?
Old Apr 22, 2011, 7:08 am

Originally Posted by ArizonaGuy
Gee. My mom's account has 0 miles. Last activity was 12/30/2009. But per email, if she pays $25 by 6/29 those 0 miles will remain active another 18 months.
This is hilarious
Old May 13, 2011, 6:03 am

Has anyone acquired the checking/debit card to reinstate miles?

While I am thankful for dcpatti's response, I hate to lose 68K miles (=~$680? ;-)...

I have few more days left before the reinstatement date slips away, so I will find the time to call USAir DM customer service and try to cajole them... Or, perhaps I can get the debit card for $30? Seems like worthwhile to save 68K miles...

Any similar experience or advice?
Old May 13, 2011, 11:30 am

Programs: AA Gold, HHonors Gold
deleted
Old May 13, 2011, 11:50 am

DrVC, if you have good credit I would apply for the Mastercard. First year annual fee is waived (link) and a single credit inquiry won't impact your FICO score much. For that credit inquiry you'll get a LOT more benefits than you would with the debit card including a first purchase mileage bonus of 35K. Second year fee isn't waived but you get 10K bonus miles at anniversary which is worth the annual fee. The other card benefits are nice too, including first class check-in, annual $99 companion ticket for 2 companions, discount on redeeming miles, annual guest pass for lounge etc.
Old May 14, 2011, 2:41 am

Thank you, HikerT!

Any other ideas or suggestions for bringing forfeited miles back from the brink of expiration?
Old May 14, 2011, 5:31 am

Programs: Honors Diamond, IHG Platinum Ambassador, Club Carlson Gold, LH SEN, TB Emerald
Originally Posted by DrVC
Thank you, HikerT!

Any other ideas or suggestions for bringing forfeited miles back from the brink of expiration?
Install the DM Toolbar and do some searches with ! It will need some time to get the miles creditet, but it works ^
Old May 14, 2011, 5:49 am

Originally Posted by maxbluebrosche
Install the DM Toolbar and do some searches with ! It will need some time to get the miles creditet, but it works ^
This woNt work if the miles have already been forfeited, only if they are BEFORE forfeiture!
Old May 14, 2011, 5:52 am

Programs: Honors Diamond, IHG Platinum Ambassador, Club Carlson Gold, LH SEN, TB Emerald
you are right, sorry, i missed the word forfeited
Old Jul 30, 2011, 10:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by ArizonaGuy
I got a similar offer but i have 18K points. The offer has now gone down to $9 so i just paid it. My itunes purchase was taking too long to post.

I dont know how people miss that their miles are going to expire. I've only been getting a letter in the mail every few weeks stating its going to expire
Old Aug 9, 2011, 11:27 pm

Programs: LH SEN
If I buy miles with the running promo, will this count as activity as well? And what about booking an award flight?
Old Aug 10, 2011, 12:12 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by DaniD
If I buy miles with the running promo, will this count as activity as well? And what about booking an award flight?
Both will count as a qualifying activity.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 3:51 am

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World
Both will count as a qualifying activity.
Cool. That shoudŽldn't be a problem then

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.