Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US Airways miles expiring, how/when keep/reinstate them (merged)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2012, 6:10 pm

Cheapest way is free! Answer the monthly Audience Reward Trivia quuestions. Even if you were to only get one question correct, that's enough to do the trick. Truth be told all questions are googleable.
Old Mar 1, 2012, 7:00 pm

Wow, that is easy and free is always good. Thanks!
Old Mar 1, 2012, 7:02 pm

Programs: US (Silver, *A Silver), AA, Starbucks (Gold)
Or sign up for a magazine subscription...
Old Mar 1, 2012, 7:12 pm

Wow, that is easy and free is always good. Thanks!

Last edited by hitherandyon; Mar 1, 2012 at 7:13 pm Reason: delete message - repeated!
Old Mar 2, 2012, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
I've purchased Home Depot and iTunes online gift certificates in the past year. No cost if you ever shop there.
Old Mar 2, 2012, 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by dustenm
No, my miles already expired. I mean will this reactivate them?

It says ways to reactivate it to buy and fly 1 usairways flight, get there credit card or pay the $400 fee. So I was just wondering if the bonus multiplier will count towards the flying part. Or if they show up added to the account differently.

Does anyone know if this can be done?
Old Mar 22, 2012, 2:45 am

I'm not sure - is moving 1 point from starwood still keeps the US airways account live?
Many thanks
Old Mar 23, 2012, 12:10 pm

I think it does - any movement on the miles portion will extend it.
Old Mar 23, 2012, 11:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM, HH Diamond, Marriott/SPG Gold (UA comp)
Originally Posted by hitherandyon
I think it does - any movement on the miles portion will extend it.
My daughter's 18K miles expired in 2010; I still get emails to reinstate every few mos. Unfortuately the miles 4 mags site says "0 Miles left to redeem"; she is too young to qualify for a CC. To me the miles weren't worth the $ they were asking (I seem to recall $200) but now they only want $50. Seems worth it, and once I do that I can always add miles with a rental car, etc to keep them from expiring again (like I shoulda' done way back when...)
Old May 4, 2012, 8:49 am

reactivate long expired miles?

Hi all, couldn't find another thread to post this in. Please merge if there is one. EDIT: thanks! How did I miss this...

I have a US Airways account from way back, and let approx. 18k miles expire back in 2009. Now that I'm working to collect miles, I was wondering if anyone knows a way to reactivate these miles, similar to American's re-engagement challenge? I'd also be willing to pay depending on cost. I did just get the US Airways card with 40k bonus, and that has posted to my account.

Last edited by dagaetch; May 4, 2012 at 9:02 am
Old May 4, 2012, 10:55 am

Programs: SPG Gold-no diff than Plat, so who cares; Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond, US CP
I purchased a song off iTunes through the Dividend Miles Storefront for .99 and he received 1 mile to save his 4,000 from expiring.
Old May 8, 2012, 8:33 am

3000 miles expiring

I have about 3000 miles which will expire in this summer. I have no travel plan. I know these miles doesn't worth much but I am still wondering the best way to use/ transfer them. I am member of almost all the airlines/ hotels and points/ miles here and there...(I know it's a bad habit) it seems I can use point.com to transfer but it offers very bad rate. Any better ways? I don't need newspaper/ magzines. Thanks!!!
Old May 8, 2012, 8:45 am

Programs: None
There are limited options - you can transfer them to someone (share miles) for a fee (family, friend, colleague, etc) or donate them to charity.

Jim
Old May 8, 2012, 9:53 am

Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,
Buy something you already need through the shopping mall. Drugstore.com used to be up there (probably still is)... everyone needs shampoo and toothpaste, their prices are competitive and if you order enough stuff they give free shipping. If your miles have NOT expired yet then when the shopping miles come through, you'll get another 18 months on the expiration date. Drugstore.com in my experience posts pretty quick (less than 2 weeks).
Old May 8, 2012, 10:09 am

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Seconded on the shopping mall suggestion. I once made the mistake of letting some miles expire, which just happened to be US, and wouldn't you know it, some years later after I found FT, almost exactly that amount of miles would have been a great help to me on a redemption.

Also, keep an eye on this forum and MilesBuzz for ideas of how to get cheap or free US miles. Each time you earn miles, the clock starts again for expiration.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.