Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US Airways miles expiring, how/when keep/reinstate them (merged)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2010, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Where on the website do you see your expiration date? I'm digging all around and I can't find it. I think my miles may never expire, but I kinda want to check before I have this same problem.
Old Jun 10, 2010, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by josephstern
Where on the website do you see your expiration date? I'm digging all around and I can't find it. I think my miles may never expire, but I kinda want to check before I have this same problem.
Unlike some airlines' web sites, the US site doesn't show you your expiration date -- at least not anywhere I can see. You need to find your last activity date and make sure it was within the last 18 months. Some of the miles tracker sites like awardwallet will do the math for you. Can't say for sure it's accurate, but it seems to be for me.

Unless you have some special deal or there was granfathering, all USAir miles are subject to forfeiture. It's in the terms and conditions. https://membership.usairways.com/en-...mberguide.html
Old Jun 12, 2010, 7:12 am

Programs: AA MARRIOTT Lifetime Plat Premier ; Marriott Vacation Club
my US Air miles expired. The reason I was given by a US Air Agent was it was due to 3 years on no activity.
DM policy changed a long time ago. T&C are pretty simple and straight forward. One has 18 months to either fly BIS, purchase something from a DM vendor, or to use the US Air Barclay credit card for one single charged item to earn FF miles and keep an account active for another 18 months. You say it's been three years so you have missed two inactivity cycles.

When one opens a DM account with US and sets their customer preferences to receive e-mail notifications, US will begin to remind you that your clock is ticking down some 3 to 6 months prior to the expiry mark. I suspect that they will also send mail announcing the same. If the ( now expired ) miles in your account are important, you might ask if you can reinstate them for a fee, but given your 3 year lapse, I think the ball game might be over.

Barry
Old Jun 13, 2010, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No iTunes in their shopping mall, so any ideas on the cheapest way to extend the expiration date here?
Old Jun 13, 2010, 11:09 am

Programs: None
With Home Depot, K-Mart, and Sears in the shopping mall you should be able to find something inexpensive if you just want to extend the expiration date of your miles another 18 months. Just be sure to go through the shopping mall link to get to the merchant's website.

Jim
Old Jun 13, 2010, 2:23 pm

Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,
There are a couple of sites like eRewards that give US miles for filling put surveys. It is free but not fast; you need a certain number of surveys to get enough miles to have them transfer over to DM. If you've got 3 months or so till your miles expire, you could get your account activity for free by doing the surveys.
Old Jun 13, 2010, 11:38 pm

There's also DM Dining; you can buy something cheap to eat or drink.
Old Jun 14, 2010, 6:31 am

Programs: BA Gold, American Airlines, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by alanh

This is a very easy way to extend one's miles. Sign up, register one debit/credit card with DM Dining and then go have lunch. Check your zip-code to see which nearby restaurants participate.
Old Jun 14, 2010, 10:35 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by alanh
Just signed up for DM dining (after trying w/out success to buy an i-tune and the shopping mall. At least DM worked - got some pizza 4 or 5 days ago (using my United MP Visa) and received a notice today that some DM miles earned.

Am not saying that i-tunes, etc. don't work, just that they've been frustrating for me and dining has worked. Check for list of restaurants in your area, there's usually a pizza place listed.
Old Jun 14, 2010, 10:47 am

Programs: None
Originally Posted by bucketlist
Am not saying that i-tunes, etc. don't work
When it was earlier mentioned that I-tunes didn't count I checked - the Apple Store in the DM Mall excludes I-Tunes now.

Jim
Old Jun 14, 2010, 11:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Landry's President's Club, Marriott Silver, Awesomeness EXPLT
Sears gift cards earn miles,and can be used at Lands end,and Kmart as well.
Cheers
Howie
Old Jun 21, 2010, 6:35 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, Marriott Silver, Hilton Silver, Avis First
Originally Posted by mileshound
If you want simple, easy, quick and no out of pocket expense, donate 1,000 miles.

Does this actually work? I thought it would so I donated 1,000 miles about 2 weeks ago. The miles have been removed from my account but my activity history is still blank for the last month. Just don't want to lose the 100k miles I have. Thanks!
Old Jun 21, 2010, 7:18 am

Programs: US Airways Chairman, PetSmart PetPerks Elite
Originally Posted by CPRich
There was also another site where I earned 10 points for signing up, nearly real time. Points.com?
It is points.com. The miles post almost immediately.
Old Jun 21, 2010, 5:38 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, Marriott Silver, Hilton Silver, Avis First
Originally Posted by mrblueeyes
Does this actually work? I thought it would so I donated 1,000 miles about 2 weeks ago. The miles have been removed from my account but my activity history is still blank for the last month. Just don't want to lose the 100k miles I have. Thanks!

Anyone have any insight on my question above?
Old Jun 24, 2010, 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by stockmanjr
Sears gift cards earn miles,and can be used at Lands end,and Kmart as well.
Cheers
Howie

Worked for me - I purchased a $5 Sears gift card from the on-line mall on June 11 and the miles posted to my account on June 24.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.