Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 7, 2014, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

Update: As of 22 Dec 2014, Trial Preferred is no longer accepting new enrollments. If you're currently enrolled in Trial Preferred, you'll continue to receive Preferred benefits and accrue toward status through the remainder of your Trial period. Your 2015 Preferred status earned through Trial will transfer to AAdvantage once we combine the programs in the second quarter of 2015.

========================================
Try Preferred status on for size <Link>

Are you new to Dividend Miles? Enjoy the benefits of Preferred status now through the Trial Preferred program. Get priority check-in and boarding, unlimited upgrades to First Class and more during your 90-day trial period.

Here's how to get Preferred status

Choose and purchase your level of Preferred status, then fly with US. It's that easy to get all the benefits of Preferred status.

Learn more about Preferred

Upgrade to Preferred

Preferred status / cost Silver – $200 Gold – $400 Platinum – $600

Then, over the next 90 days, fly a minimum number of miles on flights operated by US Airways or American Airlines to keep your Preferred status through February 29, 2016. If your trial began on or before June 30, 2014, you'll maintain your Preferred status through February 28, 2015.

• Silver: Fly 7,500 miles or 10 segments
  • Gold: Fly 15,000 miles or 20 segments
  • Platinum: Fly 22,500 miles or 30 segments
  • Chairman's: Fly 30,000 miles or 40 segments

The Trial Preferred program is the quickest way to get to Preferred status. Just enroll online to try Preferred on for size today.

Enroll in Tral Preferred

Terms & Conditions

This program is available only to non-Preferred members. Dividend Miles members must fly a minimum number of miles or segments to keep Preferred status for the remainder of the program year. Bonus miles earned based on class of service do not count toward Preferred status. Members may enroll in the Trial Preferred program only once in any consecutive 12-month period. Members who did not requalify for Preferred status for the current year are not eligible to participate in the Trial Preferred program. Only elite-qualifying miles earned on flights operated by US Airways, US Airways Express, American Airlines and American Eagle can be applied toward the Trial Preferred program. The program participation fee is non-refundable. Federal excise tax of 7.5% will be added to the purchase price. Only bookings made after the member's status has been upgraded reflect his or her new status. Preferred status earned through the Trial Preferred program is only valid in the Dividend Miles program through February 29, 2016 for members who purchased Trial Preferred after June 30, 2014. Members who purchased Trial Preferred on or before June 30, 2014 will retain their earned Preferred status through February 28, 2015. Associated First Class upgrade benefits are based on availability and only available on US Airways and US Airways Express-operated flights.

Wiki updated 7 Dec 2014
Print Wikipost

Trial Preferred Status (merged) [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2014, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by SeatacRefugee
I'm a lowly AS MVP after a heavy travel cutback this year, but I just found out that next year will be a lot more active, especially summer-fall to Latin America. So naturally, I've been taking a long hard look at doing the Trial Preferred status challenge.

Would I get complimentary access to MCE while doing a gold or platinum challenge? I'm 6'4" and the prospect of doing the DFW-HKG run in regular economy is unappealing to the point where I probably wouldn't do the challenge if I have to sit in 27G on the 77W . This page says preferred DM members only get complimentary access to AA preferred seats, while this page indicates that gold and above DM members get complimentary access to AA MCE. If I do the gold/platinum challenge, I instantly become gold/platinum for 90 days, right?

The prospect of getting 8 SWUs by maxing out the US DM preferred status challenge is very enticing. But I'm guessing it will probably take me 7 days and probably ~$2600 out of my own pocket once I include food, lodging, parking, etc., since I probably won't have much work travel until April or May next year.

Would the SWU's justify this cost? I'll travel a fair amount next year, but I doubt I'll do enough to requalify for CP/ExPlt for 2016. If I do it and get to be ExPlt for a year, will I then be ruined forever, having only ever been AS MVPG and UA *G before?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
My perspective. YMMV.

I'm AS 75K, but as I'm sure you know, their international options are limited. I looked at the CP challenge as a once-in-a-lifetime arbitrage opportunity to get the 10 SWUs (don't forget you get 2 US ones upon completion of the challenge.)

I did it solely with the strategic intent of getting the family to and from Europe in J this coming year. I value TATL SWUs from the West Coast conservatively at $1,000 per, so it was a no-brainer from an economic POV (I, too spent about $2,700 on the challenge, all-in).

I bought in for Platinum and had no trouble securing free MCE/Premium seats on all of the AA segments. Scored comp US F upgrades 75% of the time too. Never sat in a "regular" coach seat.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 10:32 pm

Programs: AS,TK
Trial Preferred status

I am thinking for US status challenge since we have very cheap AA ticket from HKG - NYC ,Q fare is only around 750 USD .
If I do the platinum challenge, Could I get the status after I purchase the trial ? I am silver now and thinking for taking Platinum trip with 75% bonus .. and is Q fare is qualified for 100 % qualified miles? HKG - DFW - NYC is around 18900 miles, very attracting way for Chairman status..

or I should do AA Aadvantage status challenge

Thanks

Elton
Old Dec 18, 2014, 11:02 pm

How long does it take AA's computer to see your USAirways trial status?

I signed up for trial Platinum Preferred status last Sunday. Almost immediately my new status was reflected on usairways.com and a day or two later I got an email from USAirways confirming my trial status.

However when I try to book on aa.com and enter my dividend miles number it still tries charge me for preferred and main cabin extra seats.

Am I mistaken in my belief that even as a trial platinum I should have access to those seats for free on AA flights?
Old Dec 19, 2014, 12:35 am

Programs: AA EXP, MR Silver
Originally Posted by flyinstyle
I am thinking for US status challenge since we have very cheap AA ticket from HKG - NYC ,Q fare is only around 750 USD .
If I do the platinum challenge, Could I get the status after I purchase the trial ? I am silver now and thinking for taking Platinum trip with 75% bonus .. and is Q fare is qualified for 100 % qualified miles? HKG - DFW - NYC is around 18900 miles, very attracting way for Chairman status..

Thanks

Elton
Only base miles count towards the trial - no bonuses of any kind other than 500mile minimum per segment are counted. You will still get bonus redeemable miles, and partner EQM miles and possibly EQM bonuses, but they will not count towards the 30k miles needed to complete the trial challenge.

Yes, if you pay for a platinum trial, you will enjoy platinum benefits for the 90 days of your trial.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 12:37 am

Programs: AA EXP, MR Silver
Originally Posted by Burj
How long does it take AA's computer to see your USAirways trial status?

I signed up for trial Platinum Preferred status last Sunday. Almost immediately my new status was reflected on usairways.com and a day or two later I got an email from USAirways confirming my trial status.

However when I try to book on aa.com and enter my dividend miles number it still tries charge me for preferred and main cabin extra seats.

Am I mistaken in my belief that even as a trial platinum I should have access to those seats for free on AA flights?
You are not mistaken, but it can take a week to ten days for your updated status to show up on aa.com. I had the same problem when I recently did my trial as US Gold Preferred. Eventually, over a week later, my status updated on AA and I was able to select MCE seats on my flights for no extra cost.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 12:39 am

Originally Posted by Circuits
Only base miles count towards the trial - no bonuses of any kind other than 500mile minimum per segment are counted. You will still get bonus redeemable miles, and partner EQM miles and possibly EQM bonuses, but they will not count towards the 30k miles needed to complete the trial challenge.

Yes, if you pay for a platinum trial, you will enjoy platinum benefits for the 90 days of your trial.
So the distance is 18900 miles so I will have 18900 miles for trial ? If I am correct then it is good for Chairman challenge.. however it seems that I am not able to do trial preferred since I am silver
Old Dec 19, 2014, 12:53 am

Programs: UA & AA 1 million miler
Originally Posted by flyinstyle

Thanks

Elton
I'm confused... If you are US Silver Preferred now, you can't do the challenge??? I thought this trial program is available only to non-Preferred members.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 1:50 am

Originally Posted by MrJBoy
I'm confused... If you are US Silver Preferred now, you can't do the challenge??? I thought this trial program is available only to non-Preferred members.
I can't do that.. I got silver status.. so I am not non - preferred member..

I think i should do AA one ..
Old Dec 19, 2014, 7:18 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA, WN, DL
Hi Folks,

I'm contemplating doing a Preferred trial/challenge due to new projects requiring travel to PHX/JFK. Did a search but can't seem to confirm a few questions:
1. Is there no minimum fare basis requirement, so any cheap AA/US fare qualifies, i.e. AA's challenge requires points (which is based on fare basis: low price tickets only earn .5 points per mile vs 1 point for more expensive fare bucket)?
2. If I start the trial in January 2015, does the miles from the trial also count towards 2016 status (i.e. 30k miles earned by March 2015 means I will have CP for rest of 2015 AND if I fly another 70k miles in 2015, I will have CP/ExPlat for all of 2016 as well; or is the trial mileage independent of the annual requalification count)?

Thanks in advance.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 7:54 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, UA Prem Plat
Quick question on fare stock as I haven't been able to find a definitive answer:

For the challenge, flights just have to be operated by AA or US, correct? I'm looking at booking one of the cheap BA issued tickets from EU to the US, and would route on AA for the TATL segments. If I input my US DM# into the reservation, then the AA operated segments should count towards the challenge, correct? (at least this is my assumption from the T&Cs). Much thanks for anyone who can help confirm!
Old Dec 19, 2014, 8:54 am

Originally Posted by joker545
Quick question on fare stock as I haven't been able to find a definitive answer:

For the challenge, flights just have to be operated by AA or US, correct? I'm looking at booking one of the cheap BA issued tickets from EU to the US, and would route on AA for the TATL segments. If I input my US DM# into the reservation, then the AA operated segments should count towards the challenge, correct? (at least this is my assumption from the T&Cs). Much thanks for anyone who can help confirm!
If the AA operated flights are purchased under BA flight number, then it will not count towards the challenge. Only US or AA metal flights booked under AA or US flight numbers count.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by luv2ctheworld
Hi Folks,

I'm contemplating doing a Preferred trial/challenge due to new projects requiring travel to PHX/JFK. Did a search but can't seem to confirm a few questions:
1. Is there no minimum fare basis requirement, so any cheap AA/US fare qualifies, i.e. AA's challenge requires points (which is based on fare basis: low price tickets only earn .5 points per mile vs 1 point for more expensive fare bucket)?
2. If I start the trial in January 2015, does the miles from the trial also count towards 2016 status (i.e. 30k miles earned by March 2015 means I will have CP for rest of 2015 AND if I fly another 70k miles in 2015, I will have CP/ExPlat for all of 2016 as well; or is the trial mileage independent of the annual requalification count)?

Thanks in advance.
1. Correct, only the BIS miles count and as long as the fare credits 100%, you are all set.

2. This is exactly the reason why I am starting my trial in January (though, I had signed up this month). I plan on flying about 60K miles between Jan and Feb so this will get me CP until Feb 2016 and I will have guaranteed AA PLAT until Feb 2017.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 9:52 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA, WN, DL
Originally Posted by brahms77
1. Correct, only the BIS miles count and as long as the fare credits 100%, you are all set.

2. This is exactly the reason why I am starting my trial in January (though, I had signed up this month). I plan on flying about 60K miles between Jan and Feb so this will get me CP until Feb 2016 and I will have guaranteed AA PLAT until Feb 2017.
Thanks for the info. Looks like a few of us ex-UA folks will be going to the dAArkside pretty soon.

Off to the MR Deals forum I go!
Old Dec 20, 2014, 10:00 pm

Originally Posted by Circuits
You are not mistaken, but it can take a week to ten days for your updated status to show up on aa.com. I had the same problem when I recently did my trial as US Gold Preferred. Eventually, over a week later, my status updated on AA and I was able to select MCE seats on my flights for no extra cost.
Thanks for the reply....sure enough it has been about 8 days and I was able to pick any seat for $0 on aa.com!
Old Dec 21, 2014, 2:41 pm

Same here for me Burj, I just checked as well. It took 14 days but finally I can access the MCE seats!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.