Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Grand Slam 2010!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2010, 8:39 pm

Programs: Days of Our Lives, General Hospital
Originally Posted by miffSC

I wonder why I didn't do this last year?
Last year I didn't understand it. This is the season in which I travel least, and I hadn't grasped that travel on USAirways, which I knew I wouldn't be doing, not only wasn't required, but didn't even count at all.

This year I have some vacation in October and will be taking a car trip, with at least five hotel stays that will help.
Old Aug 30, 2010, 3:04 am

Programs: AA, UA, SQ, VA, QF, AF, BA
Originally Posted by NickHumphrey
Some notes that I have found:

Network Solutions Domain names are $12 for the year

T & C for Network Solutions Rewards:
Offer valid only for domain names registered independently of other Network Solutions products. Please allow 8 to 10 weeks for miles to be posted to your account. All terms and conditions of the Network Solutions Service Agreement apply. Visit yougetmiles.com for details.

For me hotel stays are as low as $46 including taxes. Any way to get any of those 6 hits cheaper then that? It looks like any "stay" will work, Super 8 is in most big cities and can be had for under $50. You probably barely even have to check into it in order to get the points.

FTD and florist.com only count for 1 total, no matter which you do.
Network Solutions all have multi-year minimums so the cheapest is the email -2 years for $36

Get Your Domain Names

Earn 1,000 bonus miles for every new domain name registration of 3 years for $28.99 a year.
Get Your E-mail Address

Earn 1,000 bonus miles when you buy e-mail service for 2 years for $18.00 a year.
Transfer Your Domain Names

Earn 1,000 bonus miles for every domain name registration transferred to Network Solutions for 3 years.*
Renew Your Domain Names

Earn 1,000 bonus miles for every domain name registration renewal of 5 years for $22.99 a year.
Get Your Web Site

Earn 1,000 bonus miles when you buy a Starter Web Site package for $119.40 a year. Starter Web Site package includes 1 domain name and 2 e-mailboxes.

Originally Posted by mikeef
Couldn't find it on Thanks Again, but is there a minimum that I need to spend on the site? Do points transfer automatically to US Airways?

Thanks,
Mike
No minimum, most people get a restaurant.com certificate for $2 or so. You do need to use the same credit card for it to be accepted.
Old Aug 30, 2010, 4:11 am

about DM Dining, if I asked a friend to claim my DM member number after dining at a participated restaurant, can I get a hit and miles?
Old Aug 30, 2010, 4:38 am

Originally Posted by ArizonaGuy
Any miles earning activity from the partner suffices (the only caveat being a SPG "stay" requires 100 miles minimum since there's a way to get less just by ordering a beer and not staying there). A typical car rental or a typical hotel stay that earns miles is fine.

The wine clubs - I joined one last year. $10, got some cheap wine, canceled membership. Had to keep begging for miles but they finally showed.

The other wine club - many of us bought a cheap product from the website without joining the club. It said X miles per $1 and didn't say club membership required. However, we had to fight to get those miles since the club didn't want to award miles since we hadn't joined.
Since SPG has filled this lovely hole for qualifying a "stay", how about ACCOR or IHG? Is it OK to just take a meal or coke to get some points, then a "stay"?

Or at least, is there a minimum requirement for miles earned in a hotel stay to qualify a hit in ACCOR and IHG?
Old Aug 30, 2010, 4:43 am

Programs: Too many to list. Status is a half dozen.
Originally Posted by vincent.ft
Since SPG has filled this lovely hole for qualifying a "stay", how about ACCOR or IHG? Is it OK to just take a meal or coke to get some points, then a "stay"?

Or at least, is there a minimum requirement for miles earned in a hotel stay to qualify a hit in ACCOR and IHG?
The issue is you generally don't get miles via a Hotel program just for dining but having no completed hotel reservation. SPG is an exception the definitively permits this and I believe Tiki confirmed she managed a similar occurrence via a Marriott or a Hyatt last year, I can't recall the specifics. Though I don't think it's standard and YMMV extremely so.
Old Aug 30, 2010, 7:13 am

Programs: Marriot LT Plat, Aeroplan

See my previous post at #103. You only get US DM for certain brands in the ACCOR family, and then only at certain rate classes. They don't offer miles for dining at ACCOR.
Old Aug 30, 2010, 8:01 am

Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,
about DM Dining, if I asked a friend to claim my DM member number after dining at a participated restaurant, can I get a hit and miles?
You need to have your credit card registered with DM Dining and linked to your DM# to get credit. I don't think you can use a card with someone else's name to get credit.
Old Aug 30, 2010, 9:38 am

Originally Posted by ArizonaGuy
The issue is you generally don't get miles via a Hotel program just for dining but having no completed hotel reservation. SPG is an exception the definitively permits this and I believe Tiki confirmed she managed a similar occurrence via a Marriott or a Hyatt last year, I can't recall the specifics. Though I don't think it's standard and YMMV extremely so.
understood. Though I did notice your post earlier, what was puzzling me is whether there is a minimal earning DM miles to qualify as a hit? I mean, I have two reservations next month on an ACCOR Mercure hotel using Best Flexible Rate, but the price is very cheap ( around USD 30 ), and two reservations on a Holiday Inn also with very low early booked rate ( around USD 45 ). Would them qualify?
Old Aug 30, 2010, 9:55 am

Programs: Days of Our Lives, General Hospital
understood. Though I did notice your post earlier, what was puzzling me is whether there is a minimal earning DM miles to qualify as a hit? I mean, I have two reservations next month on an ACCOR Mercure hotel using Best Flexible Rate, but the price is very cheap ( around USD 30 ), and two reservations on a Holiday Inn also with very low early booked rate ( around USD 45 ). Would them qualify?
You would need to look up the rules for each hotel chain. Typically the section on the hotel chain's own rewards program also states how it handles airline miles.

For the ones I've checked recently (not either of those), the rules state that miles accrue for any rate that is no more than 20% lower than the so-called Best Available Rate. Most discounts that you can get directly from the hotel chain, including early-booking and prepaid rates, are not lower than that. Extremely low rates booked through other web sites, and Priceline name-you-price rates, usually don't earn miles. However, you should verify the rules for those chains.

Also look up the procedure for earning US miles at each hotel group. Many of them require you to join their rewards program and then set it (online) to earn US air miles instead of hotel points. In those cases you use the hotel's rewards account when booking or checking in.

Some others allow you to present your Dividend Miles card at check-in, but it's important to know how each one works.
Old Aug 30, 2010, 10:25 am

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by koroleon
I tried to make a list of all the transfer options. Only the minimum amounts are included.
Code:
Accor A-club
4,000 points for 2,000 miles

Best Western Rewards
5,000 points for 1,000 miles
Earn 10 points per dollar spent on BW

Choice Privileges
5,000 points for 1,000 miles

Hilton HHonors
10,000 points for 850 miles
buy 10,000 points for $100 (?)

Hyatt Gold Passport
5,000 points for 2,000 miles

IHG Priority Club
10,000 points for 2,000 miles
buy 10,000 points for $125

Marriott Rewards
10,000 points for 2,000 miles
buy 10,000 points for $125

Radisson Goldpoints Plus
2,000 points for 250 miles
(online bookings earn 2,000 points?)

SPG
2,500 points min for non-elites
1,500 points min for gold
No min for plat

Wyndham Rewards
8,000 points for 3,200 miles
It seems that using transfers to earn GS10 points is not going to be cheap unless you already have the hotel points. Of course I'd love to hear your feedback.
Thanks for the great list!

Note that you can also buy:

5000 Choice Privilege Points for $55
http://www.choicehotels.com/ires/en-...l/GPBuyPoints?

or

2500 SPG points for $87.50 (have to be a member for 30 days)
https://buy.points.com/spg/init.do?m...DCBuy&c=PDCBuy
Old Aug 30, 2010, 11:29 am

Great thread -- thanks to all who have contributed already.

One of the hits I did last year was skymall. The corkscrew is still $4.95 + tax + shipping -- a little cheaper than the mirror referenced in the original post. Couldn't find any decent coupons though. CABN1 is 11% off so total cost is $12.80. Last year there was a $10 off code.

Anybody know of lower priced items at skymall or have a better coupon code?
Old Aug 30, 2010, 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by Burghs
$0 - Points.com
What's the trick for using points.com to get miles transferred to US for free?
Old Aug 30, 2010, 1:13 pm

Programs: AA Nothing, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by lkar
When you first sign up you get bonus miles for joining.
Old Aug 30, 2010, 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by lkar
No trick, other than that you need to have miles/points in another program where points.com allows transfer into a US Airways account. There is no charge for such a transfer.

Points.com used to have a joining bonus where you could select a program to receive a few miles/points, although I don't see that option now.
Old Aug 30, 2010, 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by GoodOmens
When you first sign up you get bonus miles for joining.
I can't find this feature on the new Points.com site. Glad to know it's still available, how do you access it?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.