Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Grand Slam 2010!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2010, 3:11 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards-Lifetime Titanium, Priority Club-Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, United-Silver
Originally Posted by kochleffel
Flying Talkers in most other states can't do Energy Plus, if that's any consolation.
except that Energy Plus' rates aren't that competitive, at least not in CT.
Old Sep 11, 2010, 3:20 pm

Programs: Days of Our Lives, General Hospital
Originally Posted by nickfromct
I'm not certain that they're competitive in NY, either, but it starts at a time when my electric use is usually low, and my previous ESCO will probably offer me a bonus to switch back after a couple of months.
Old Sep 11, 2010, 3:20 pm

Programs: *G, SPG, OW Sapphire
Originally Posted by nickfromct
I've heard that from multiple sources as well. In addition, it appears that it is hard to cancel Energy Plus if you notice the increase in price (i.e. takes 60 days or so to go back to what you previously had).
Old Sep 11, 2010, 3:21 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime 1K - DL Million Miler - AS 100K
Super Shuttle

Does anyone have any experience with how long it takes for Super Shuttle to post? Did a trip out to IAH and was curious on when to expect the miles to post.

Thanks

Houston Traveler
Old Sep 11, 2010, 3:25 pm

Programs: Days of Our Lives, General Hospital
Originally Posted by johndeere19
I've heard that from multiple sources as well. In addition, it appears that it is hard to cancel Energy Plus if you notice the increase in price (i.e. takes 60 days or so to go back to what you previously had).
To be clear, the date on which you can change to another supplier is determined by the billing schedule of your local utility - that is, the date on which they will next read the meter. My LECO reads meters only in alternate months, so yes, it can take 1 to 2 months for a switch to take place, regardless of which ESCOs are involved. This would be the case even if you wanted to change to the local utility's default supply.
Old Sep 11, 2010, 4:24 pm

Programs: US CP; Marriott Gold
Marriott Rewards

I converted miles from my Marriott Rewards to US for a hit. I have an older FF# with letters in it and wasn't able to change my Marriott profile from earning points to earning miles. I got an error saying it was incorrect. After a few emails to Marriott I finally got them to add it for me and 10K points were converted to 2K miles.

When I look at my profile I can see my FF# there. I had a Marriott stay the other day and can see the details in my recent activity on Marriott.com.

It doesn't look like the FF# was part of the transfer as shown below. It is blank.

Sep 07 10 Sep 09 10 Pittsburgh Marriott North 536 mls Stay
Base Earnings 536 mls
Miles submitted to US Airways Dividend Miles #

Just wondering if anyone else had a similar experience and if they were able to get it corrected? I sent an email to Marriott but no response yet.
Old Sep 11, 2010, 6:52 pm

Programs: US Chairman, Marriott Platinum, PCR Platinum, and SPG Gold
Originally Posted by doubled79

Next week, I check-in (& out) at a $40 SUper 8!
Your car rentals make sense to me but the Super 8 stays seem too pricey. Why not spend $50 for a dining/ drinks experience at an SPG hotel. For example my fiance and I just had drinks at the POV rooftop terrace overlooking the White House. This $50 would have been spent on a date anways, why not get a hit out of it. And for those of us who are SPG elites, all we need to spend is $35.

I can understand if you're not close to any good SPG properties....just some thoughts.
Old Sep 11, 2010, 7:04 pm

Programs: AA Plat, SPG Platinum 50+
So much attention has been paid on this thread to buying the cheapest thing possible that you don't need, or getting rooms you won't sleep in, etc. I don't always get it. I guess I do have the luxury of getting all the hotel and car rental hits as part of normal business travel, but other than that I consider all the other purchases I have made, or plan to make, USEFUL. This presented me the opportunity to try a few things I always wanted to try anyway (Netflix, Lifelock) and for my mall, officemax, etc purchases I got all things I needed anyway. Surely people have things they need already at Officemax without having to force a $2 purchase just for the hit?

In any case, this has been a cool promo in my estimation and I should make 36 hits without spending any money I will consider "just for the hit". And I have appreciated all of the shared information too! Enjoy!
Old Sep 11, 2010, 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by adkrick
So much attention has been paid on this thread to buying the cheapest thing possible that you don't need, or getting rooms you won't sleep in, etc. I don't always get it. I guess I do have the luxury of getting all the hotel and car rental hits as part of normal business travel, but other than that I consider all the other purchases I have made, or plan to make, USEFUL. This presented me the opportunity to try a few things I always wanted to try anyway (Netflix, Lifelock) and for my mall, officemax, etc purchases I got all things I needed anyway. Surely people have things they need already at Officemax without having to force a $2 purchase just for the hit?
If you can use the hotel room or the car, great -- it's a win/win. If you can't, then the question becomes whether or not to get a "room you don't need," which is why it's talked about on this thread. Anyone who already has business travel doesn't really need this thread to decide whether or not to stay in a hotel. You already have to stay there. The only question is really whether the value of the "hit" is worth giving up the other earning opportunity you have at the hotel. (For example, I wouldn't give up the opportunity to devote a $500 stay on business for starpoints just for a hit and the U.S. miles, unless I was down to needing 1 more hit with no other good options to go up a 20k tier.)

As for getting hits buying stuff you need, for me, virtually all of the partners have crap I don't need or even if it's stuff I would use it's much more expensive than I could get it elsewhere. Shipping changes the calculus a bit, but for the most part, it's all about getting the hit as cheaply as possible for me. Paying $30 at skymall for something I can get at target for $12 doesn't make much sense when I can get the bag clips and be done at skymall for $10. But I think in general that's kind of what makes this promo fun. Every "hit" has its own calculus. Do you buy just 1000 miles (plus 250) from US for a hit and call it done? Or do you buy 50k plus 50k plus 12.5 and get your hit plus 112.5k miles? Or something in between?
Old Sep 11, 2010, 7:32 pm

Programs: *G, SPG, OW Sapphire
Originally Posted by adkrick

In any case, this has been a cool promo in my estimation and I should make 36 hits without spending any money I will consider "just for the hit". And I have appreciated all of the shared information too! Enjoy!
I wish I could get 36 hits only buying things that I need, but the fact of the matter is that if I need to sprinkle in a few useless pieces of junk for very little cost to get me another 20k miles, I'd do it any day.
Old Sep 11, 2010, 9:09 pm

Programs: Military Space-A, UA Plat, AS MVP Gold 75K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HHonors Gold
posting times

I see that lots of you have several hits already posting. How about those of you who have done, as I have, only credit card, shopping mall or DM Dining activities? I have done one of each for myself and for my husband, but so far, nada. You?
Old Sep 11, 2010, 9:12 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, AA Plat
Originally Posted by slocouple
I see that lots of you have several hits already posting. How about those of you who have done, as I have, only credit card, shopping mall or DM Dining activities? I have done one of each for myself and for my husband, but so far, nada. You?
My Dining hit (dined on 09/01) posted on 09/10. Vinesse.com also posted on 09/10 (purchased on 09/02). No other purchases have posted yet - have 6 hits posted overall.
Old Sep 11, 2010, 9:24 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, AA, USair, United, Amex MR, ICHC, HHonors Silver
is the magazine link through usairways site the magazines for miles? it doesnt say so. would going directly through magsformiles.com work, since you obviously give your dm number in order to make the purchase?
Old Sep 11, 2010, 10:04 pm

Programs: AA, UA, NWA, SPG, HH
Originally Posted by ejh25
Your car rentals make sense to me but the Super 8 stays seem too pricey. Why not spend $50 for a dining/ drinks experience at an SPG hotel. For example my fiance and I just had drinks at the POV rooftop terrace overlooking the White House. This $50 would have been spent on a date anways, why not get a hit out of it. And for those of us who are SPG elites, all we need to spend is $35.

I can understand if you're not close to any good SPG properties....just some thoughts.

Good suggestion, but there are no decent SPG properties by me. It's also hard to limit my spend at a restaurant to only $50 (does that include tax and tip?)

I am at the stage where an incremental 4 hits yields 20,000 points. So $160 for 20,000 points or 8/10 of a cent per mile, which is pretty good by me.
Old Sep 12, 2010, 3:27 am

Originally Posted by slocouple
See post # 524 earlier in this thread.
Link: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-ai...l#post14610428

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.