Search

Grand Slam 2010!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2010, 6:24 am
Suspended

Programs: Migros Cumulus Platinum Hero
Originally Posted by philippa
Do I need to fret about this?

After all of the trouble I had getting a points.com transfer to work -- and it eventually did, thanks to all of the help here -- I bought some miles at usairways.com for another hit.

Looking at my account activity, the transaction for the purchased miles says : BUY MILES - POINTS.COM.

Does that mean the transfer I completed at points.com and the purchase of miles at usairways.com won't count for two separate hits?

That's how it is @:-)
Old Sep 11, 2010, 7:47 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, AA Gold
Originally Posted by lesenok
If the last/first names are reversed, then it seems that any swap would fail since the first/last names wont match when they are mapped against both accounts
I'll leave it up to those who have done an Asia Miles swap to confirm or deny this. However, Asia Miles has an option for how to set up your account name, either Last First (the default which is typically Asian) or First Last (typically Western). So it looks like Points.com is looking for the first default configuration for proper registration but the First and Last Names will still be the same as a DM account.

Also, I'm not sure Points.com cares about exact matching as long as everything is registered in the same account. I recall getting credit for my PhoneHog account last year even though there's only a first name on the account.
Old Sep 11, 2010, 8:08 am

Programs: Days of Our Lives, General Hospital
Originally Posted by philippa
Do I need to fret about this?

After all of the trouble I had getting a points.com transfer to work -- and it eventually did, thanks to all of the help here -- I bought some miles at usairways.com for another hit.

Looking at my account activity, the transaction for the purchased miles says : BUY MILES - POINTS.COM.

Does that mean the transfer I completed at points.com and the purchase of miles at usairways.com won't count for two separate hits?
They are listed as separate hits. AFAIK, even if you initiate the miles purchase at usairways.com, it will be recorded as a purchase from points.com.

Earn 1 Hit when you buy or gift miles at usairways.com or points.com (max 1 Hit per member)

Earn 1 Hit when you swap points or miles into Dividend Miles at points.com – swapping Dividend Miles out does not count (max 1 Hit per member).
Old Sep 11, 2010, 8:11 am

Programs: US,PC
"However, I was able to sign up for an S&H Greenpoints account and make the following swap.

53DM -> 18 GP -> 1 DM
"

This worked very smoothly for all accounts.
Old Sep 11, 2010, 8:12 am

Programs: Mega Bus Plaid; Southwest Airlines Ruby and Bates Motel Platinum
Hotel Hits

I know this has been talked about in regards to car rentals (I'm not sure any conclusion has been reached though), but it seems the same would apply to hotels...any consensus?

Earn 1 Hit per mileage earning hotel stay with a qualifying partner, up to a maximum of 6 Hits per member. Hits can be earned by using the same hotel partner 6 times or by using 6 different hotel partners. There are 11 qualifying hotel families available:
My initial assesment was that we could earn hits for any different pairings of hotels. For instance, 2 Best Westerns and 3 Hiltons set to DM would yield 5 hotel hits. However, I'm now a little concerned with the question raised about the car rentals, as the hotel hits use the same verbage. Does this mean we either have to use 6 different hotel chains or one hotel chain, 6 separate times versus the approach above? If so, it would seem much more difficult.
Old Sep 11, 2010, 10:28 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, AA Plat
Originally Posted by MrRuffles
I'll leave it up to those who have done an Asia Miles swap to confirm or deny this. However, Asia Miles has an option for how to set up your account name, either Last First (the default which is typically Asian) or First Last (typically Western). So it looks like Points.com is looking for the first default configuration for proper registration but the First and Last Names will still be the same as a DM account.

Also, I'm not sure Points.com cares about exact matching as long as everything is registered in the same account. I recall getting credit for my PhoneHog account last year even though there's only a first name on the account.
Thanks - I ended up changing the first and last names on Asiamiles on Points.com once it had been added and the transfer went through fine and is already showing up as a hit! ^
Old Sep 11, 2010, 11:50 am

Programs: *G, SPG, OW Sapphire
Has anyone gotten the 21st Century Auto Insurance or Sentry Insurance miles yet? For those of you that have gotten a quote, did you call in as well?
Old Sep 11, 2010, 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by johndeere19
Has anyone gotten the 21st Century Auto Insurance or Sentry Insurance miles yet? For those of you that have gotten a quote, did you call in as well?
Nothing here but 21st century took about 3 weeks to post last year. I did receive a snail mail quote a few days later. I did not call in. Don't know about Sentry since it isn't available in my state.
Old Sep 11, 2010, 12:33 pm

Programs: AAExP, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, IHG Spire, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by muflyer
I know this has been talked about in regards to car rentals (I'm not sure any conclusion has been reached though), but it seems the same would apply to hotels...any consensus?

My initial assesment was that we could earn hits for any different pairings of hotels. For instance, 2 Best Westerns and 3 Hiltons set to DM would yield 5 hotel hits. However, I'm now a little concerned with the question raised about the car rentals, as the hotel hits use the same verbage. Does this mean we either have to use 6 different hotel chains or one hotel chain, 6 separate times versus the approach above? If so, it would seem much more difficult.

It is any six out of 11 possible chains. They can be six different, six of the same or a mixture of any six. So you are correct in your initial assessment.
Old Sep 11, 2010, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Landry's President's Club, Marriott Silver, Awesomeness EXPLT
Originally Posted by moo-moo
Nothing here but 21st century took about 3 weeks to post last year. I did receive a snail mail quote a few days later. I did not call in. Don't know about Sentry since it isn't available in my state.
It sucks that those of us in NY can do neither hit...
Cheers
Howie
Old Sep 11, 2010, 12:51 pm

Programs: *G, SPG, OW Sapphire
Originally Posted by moo-moo
Same boat, got a snail mail quote and request to call in to get more details, sign-up, etc.
Old Sep 11, 2010, 12:55 pm

Programs: Days of Our Lives, General Hospital
Insurance quotes

Originally Posted by stockmanjr
It sucks that those of us in NY can do neither hit...
Cheers
Howie
Flying Talkers in most other states can't do Energy Plus, if that's any consolation.
Old Sep 11, 2010, 2:08 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, AA Plat
Aargh

A 3-day Avis rental from 08/31-09/03 posted today with an activity date of 08/31. Was hoping the activity date would post as 09/03. Is using the rental start date as activity date typical? Any point in calling US/Avis to modify the activity date?
Old Sep 11, 2010, 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by kingsubbu
A 3-day Avis rental from 08/31-09/03 posted today with an activity date of 08/31. Was hoping the activity date would post as 09/03. Is using the rental start date as activity date typical? Any point in calling US/Avis to modify the activity date?
US Airways credit for my Alamo and National rentals dating back several years have been assigned an activity date of the rental pickup (not rental return).
Old Sep 11, 2010, 2:52 pm

Programs: AA, UA, NWA, SPG, HH
I did a hertz rental at my local branch for ~$15. I didn't even drive the car - just checked to make sure that the damage was noted on the rental form.

The rental agent was very surprised, but seemed to believe me needing the rental for the miles to go visit my family overseas

So 1 rental down, 5 more to go.

Next week, I check-in (& out) at a $40 SUper 8!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.