Search

London flight - bump?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2010, 6:00 am
Suspended
Original Poster

London flight - bump?

Im flying from PHL to LHR on the 20th.
I believe UK airspace will be open by then.
I am not in a rush to get back, HOWEVER I am sure the flight is overbooked (can anyone check for me?)
if so, what are my chances/best approaches of getting bumped in Philly.
I do not mind being bumped for several days.
How do I get US to cover my accommodation while at philly (for being voluntarily bumped), and to give me envoy on the next avail flight? What sort of value for a takeflight cert should I be looking at?
any tips/strategies would really help.
Cheers
Old Apr 18, 2010, 6:36 am

Programs: US Airways Chairman, PetSmart PetPerks Elite
KVS and SeatCounter.com show no availability on that flight..best approach to getting bumped is to check in early at the airport and ask to be put on the VDB list when checking in..re-confirm your status on the "bump" list with the GA as soon as one shows up. If PHL is an enroute stop for you then US should cover your accomodations. As for Takeflight value, I suspect US will offer low value certs to begin with. Compensation amounts may be tough to call as the volume of VDB's will be high.
Old Apr 18, 2010, 7:51 am

If you have time to spare, why not call and get your flight changed? From what I understand they are making ticket changes with no charge. You could be helping someone who really needs to get home to a family, job etc.
Old Apr 18, 2010, 9:42 am

Programs: US CP, CO PE, Avis First, National EE
I agree that that would be a very nice thing to do. However from my constant flying with US (including a crazy full flight arriving today in MAD) I see where the OP is coming from. US loves to overbook flights like crazy at times - and that's when things are going well. Now this has come to bite them and passengers in the a$$. I am returning from MAD on Tuesday and would be willing to be bumped but there is no way I am doing it out of the kindness of my heart with no compensation. I enjoy flying US, having great crews... but all the crap that US tends to do to make their best customers feel less appreciated has me baffled. Like the OP I'll be flexible but I'm not taking one for the team to benefit US Airways and not myself. Good luck OP, let us know how it goes. The ladies in the Envoy Lounge can put you on the list, also I had them calling the gate to see if they needed me as a volunteer. Gotta love the PHL Envoy folks.

Originally Posted by tahitigirl
If you have time to spare, why not call and get your flight changed? From what I understand they are making ticket changes with no charge. You could be helping someone who really needs to get home to a family, job etc.
Old Apr 18, 2010, 10:17 am

Programs: None
Originally Posted by charlotteimmigration
Im flying from PHL to LHR on the 20th.
I believe UK airspace will be open by then.
I am not in a rush to get back,
According to the employee site, the first PHL-LHR flight with seats is on the 28th (1 seat available) and the 29th (7 seats available). The flight on the 30th has ~40 seats available. Undoubtedly waiting to take a bump will fill up flights that do operate and you won't join the line for a seat until you take the bump. So if you're willing to wait 10 days or more after the 20th to get to London, taking a bump would work. Otherwise you're better off either taking your ticketed flight (if it operates) or calling to change it while there are still seats available before the end of the month. If you wait and take the bump, you won't be reticketed till then and the "next available flight" could be next month.

Jim
Old Apr 18, 2010, 10:40 am

Originally Posted by DCAMatt
I agree that that would be a very nice thing to do. However from my constant flying with US (including a crazy full flight arriving today in MAD) I see where the OP is coming from. US loves to overbook flights like crazy at times - and that's when things are going well. Now this has come to bite them and passengers in the a$$. I am returning from MAD on Tuesday and would be willing to be bumped but there is no way I am doing it out of the kindness of my heart with no compensation. I enjoy flying US, having great crews... but all the crap that US tends to do to make their best customers feel less appreciated has me baffled. Like the OP I'll be flexible but I'm not taking one for the team to benefit US Airways and not myself. Good luck OP, let us know how it goes. The ladies in the Envoy Lounge can put you on the list, also I had them calling the gate to see if they needed me as a volunteer. Gotta love the PHL Envoy folks.

This isn't normal operations. There are thousands of people stranded around the world. I have a friend who is trying to get back to LGW with her kids who's flight canceled today. She called yesterday (before her flight canceled) asking what would be the earliest flight if she rebooked and was told the 29th. People have loved ones who are sick to get home to. They have jobs that may be in jeopardy if they don't get home. They have kids that need to get back to school. The list goes on and on. To act like this is a normal day occurrence is wrong.
Old Apr 18, 2010, 11:10 am

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
I wouldn't wait

If things are open on the 20th, I wouldn't wait. For each day airspace is closed, that backs up flights for 3-5 days... so unless you have a couple of weeks, I'd get on that flight (assuming things are open on the 20th which isn't looking promising yet).
Old Apr 18, 2010, 3:47 pm

Programs: US CP, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
And I wouldn't even remotely bet on UK airspace being open on the 20th... Airspace is closed until 7pm tomorrow so far and they keep pushing that time back. If you have a seat on a flight and need to get to the UK anytime in the remotely near future, I'd keep the seat and pray the flight doesn't cancel.
Old Apr 18, 2010, 3:56 pm

Programs: CO Plat; UA 1K; EK Gold
Originally Posted by dylanks
If things are open on the 20th, I wouldn't wait. For each day airspace is closed, that backs up flights for 3-5 days... so unless you have a couple of weeks, I'd get on that flight (assuming things are open on the 20th which isn't looking promising yet).
Originally Posted by treznor
And I wouldn't even remotely bet on UK airspace being open on the 20th... Airspace is closed until 7pm tomorrow so far and they keep pushing that time back. If you have a seat on a flight and need to get to the UK anytime in the remotely near future, I'd keep the seat and pray the flight doesn't cancel.
This is the right thing to do.
Old Apr 19, 2010, 5:00 am

Programs: US CP, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by tahitigirl
This isn't normal operations. There are thousands of people stranded around the world. I have a friend who is trying to get back to LGW with her kids who's flight canceled today. She called yesterday (before her flight canceled) asking what would be the earliest flight if she rebooked and was told the 29th. People have loved ones who are sick to get home to. They have jobs that may be in jeopardy if they don't get home. They have kids that need to get back to school. The list goes on and on. To act like this is a normal day occurrence is wrong.

Completely agree with this. I travel to the UK frequently but always get home on weekends to be with my children. I am extremely sympathetic to those who are stuck on one side of the pond with their families and jobs on the other.

The suggestion of trying to get hotel comp from US also rubs me the wrong way under these extreme circumstances. There are many folks in hardship situations, paying for extended hotel stays.
Old Apr 19, 2010, 6:26 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Rubbing you the wrong way is out of line.
I dont NEED to get to the UK, so I would offer a bump for those very people who need to be back. I just do not want to pay for accoms if I am helping the airline and other pax out, I think that is fair enough.
I may just call ahead and re-schedule though seeing how there are so many holiday makers needing to get home. I do resent being called an oppertunist though.
Old Apr 19, 2010, 6:35 am

Originally Posted by charlotteimmigration
I just do not want to pay for accoms if I am helping the airline and other pax out, I think that is fair enough.
Rebooking helps the other pax out just as much if the flight operates - the seat you currently have can be given to someone else. It also helps the airline out more since there's no hotel/meals to pay for. So if your desire is to help your fellow travelers and the airline out, rebooking is the way to go.

On the other hand, if you just want a voucher and free hotel room then try for a bump if the flight operates or get re-accommodated if it cancels.

Jim
Old Apr 19, 2010, 6:39 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Cheers Jim,
if I end up cancelling I will be in High Point this week for the show
Old Apr 19, 2010, 9:29 am

Come join the crowd.

It did occur to me that unless your itinerary has you spending all day in PHL, they're likely to not let you take the CLT-PHL flight if the PHL-LHR cancels and either rebook or refund @ CLT. I'd imagine the PHL has a scarcity of hotel rooms available at a price that US would want to pay.

Jim
Old Apr 19, 2010, 11:56 am
Suspended
Original Poster

firstly, Biscuitville rocks!

secondly, I did the right this and moved flights to LGW from CLT directly for next week (this is actually way easier than risking being grounded in PHL for 15 days or being auto-rebooked to LHR by Airways reservations tomorrow).

Anyone else heading to Gatwick (fingers crossed) from CLT next week?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.