Originally Posted by Alphaguy
...It's CRJ we fear....
With FC in USX now, not all CRJs need to be feared

The CRJ700/900s have FC; only the smaller CRJ200s do not

I like FC on USX (whether Embraers or CRJs) very much ^
Old Jan 5, 2012, 1:39 am

Programs: None
Originally Posted by US @ DEN
Did US also buy back its DCA slots from Republic?

Link
From the way the SEC filing is worded, it doesn't sound like buying back the slots. I wouldn't think that buying back the slots would be classified as a "repayment of an outstanding obligation" - US isn't obligated to buy back any of the slots as far as I know, although they do have a first right of refusal if Republic sells the slots. It seems that Republic did lend money to US in late 2008/early 2009 when US was trying to maintain enough "cash" to keep from defaulting on the credit card processor agreement, so perhaps this was repaying all/some of that.

Jim
Old Jan 5, 2012, 8:33 am

Location: The views I express here are not necessarily supported by any airline or codeshare partners, nor do I represent their views and/or opinions. They are my own OPINIONS dont like them dont read them.....
Originally Posted by US @ DEN
Did US also buy back its DCA slots from Republic?

Link
Originally Posted by BoeingBoy
From the way the SEC filing is worded, it doesn't sound like buying back the slots. I wouldn't think that buying back the slots would be classified as a "repayment of an outstanding obligation" - US isn't obligated to buy back any of the slots as far as I know, although they do have a first right of refusal if Republic sells the slots. It seems that Republic did lend money to US in late 2008/early 2009 when US was trying to maintain enough "cash" to keep from defaulting on the credit card processor agreement, so perhaps this was repaying all/some of that.

Jim
I know BBedford said in one of his letters that he had offered the slots back to US. With Republic owning the slots it caused RAH to lose out on some of the slots that were used for F9. Ironically one of the slots we lost went to another airline for GRR and MSN (or DSM cant remember right now). They decided not to fly it so they came back to the F9 operation and we have to fly them as the awarded route then refile to move the flights later.

It could be a repayment of the cash loan too. Havent seen a response to that offer. I guess we will see it in the year end reports.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 8:22 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat
Just found out I'm going to be going to GSO for a while. When is US going to stop flying LGA-GSO? Looks like it's still in the schedule for several months, at least (even after DL starts on 3/25). Thanks.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by kudzu
According to May 2011 news release (emphasis mine)
What gate numbers will USAIR be using at LGA after Mar 25?
Old Dec 10, 2012, 8:20 pm

Programs: Amtrak S+, Kimpton IC
Originally Posted by dcpatti
Originally Posted by tolkiennut
Anyone else see the bigger picture here? By doing this deal, US is able to divest itself of the largest overlap with AA... Does this position US as a better bride for AA?
Doubt it. Route overlap is only one of the many obstacles to such a tie-up, and many believe the other obstacles are harder. Like each carrier's labor issues.
Anyone now rethinking if this was a strategic move by US with foresight of what was to come?
Old Dec 11, 2012, 3:30 am

Programs: None
Too many moving parts that need to fall into place for US to have felt confident back in early 2011, before AA even filed for bankruptcy, that a merger would happen. Even the slot swap has pros/cons in a merger - it could help with regulatory approval in LGA while it hurts in DCA.

Jim
Old Dec 11, 2012, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BoeingBoy
Too many moving parts that need to fall into place for US to have felt confident back in early 2011, before AA even filed for bankruptcy, that a merger would happen. Even the slot swap has pros/cons in a merger - it could help with regulatory approval in LGA while it hurts in DCA.

Jim
Yeah, I also don't think the LGA divestment was about AA. More like "we make money at DCA and not at LGA." I never did understand why US couldn't do more with its LGA slots (like fly bigger planes to places people like to go), but I've always assumed (based on their track record) that Parker and Co. knew what they were doing with this. Obviously, the slots at DCA are also very valuable.

Regardless, this swap doesn't seem to do much to impact the AA merger. You could argue, of course, that US would have been able to achieve a "critical mass" of LGA slots to be a strong competitor had it not traded those slots to DL and instead combined them with AA's.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If Parker had not been in such a rush to give away most of US' LGA slots in exchange for a few DCA slots and $66 million, a combined US-AA would have as many LGA slots as DL does now and would have as many DCA slots as US has now. A merged US-AA would have plenty of access to GRU.

So once US and AA are merged, the combined entity will be much smaller than Delta at LGA (whoops) and will be no larger at DCA than US is now (thanks to likely antitrust-driven DCA slot divestitures of an amount equal to AA's current DCA slots). The only thing the airline will have to show for the misguided slots swap is the $66 million. And a much smaller presence at LGA than it would have had if had not been in such a hurry to "win" in its fight with DoJ. Now that's the kind of management any airline would be proud to call its own.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 10:35 am

Programs: AGR WOH
I was curious to see what else had been added since last January, when US announced what it called "phase 1" of the new DCA routes:

Added 19 March
Augusta, Ga. 1X
Minneapolis-St. Paul 3X
Montreal 3X
Toronto 4X
NW Arkansas 1X
NW Florida Beaches 2X (from 1X)

Added 15 February
Cincinnati 4X
Des Moines 2X

Ottawa was tried and subsequently pulled from the schedule. I was hoping for year-round Asheville, but apparently not yet.

Originally Posted by EWRuser
Here's what they'll actually do out of DCA according to airlineroute.net. It's slightly different from earlier announcements.

Washington Reagan – Bangor Increases from 2 weekly to 2 Daily, CRJ200 service
Washington Reagan – Birmingham AL NEW 3 Daily CRJ200 service
Washington Reagan – Fayetteville NEW 1 Daily CRJ200 service
Washington Reagan – Indianapolis Increases from 5 to 6 Daily
Washington Reagan – Islip NEW 2 Daily CRJ200 service
Washington Reagan – Jacksonville NC NEW 1 Daily CRJ200 service
Washington Reagan – Little Rock NEW 2 Daily Embraer E170 service
Washington Reagan – Memphis NEW 3 Daily CRJ200 service
Washington Reagan – Omaha NEW 1 Daily Embraer E170 service
Washington Reagan – Pensacola NEW 2 Daily CRJ200 service
Washington Reagan – Savannah Increases from 2 to 9 weekly
Washington Reagan – Tallahassee NEW 1 Daily CRJ200 service
Washington Reagan – Valparaiso NEW 1 Daily CRJ200 service

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.