Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 14, 2013, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Update 08APR2014: Star Alliance Awards must have been booked by March 30, 2014. They are no longer available through US. This thread is mostly useful for historic purposes, and discussing issues such as schedule changes/route changes that affect FTers existing *A awards booked before 3/31/2014.

Discussion on using US miles to book oneworld awards is available here.

If you are looking for discussion on US's new partner awards that use various partners not in oneworld (many of whom are former *A partners), see the devoted thread on using US miles to book NON-oneworld partners here.

------------------------

Update 07JAN14: American Airlines award tickets bookable online on usairways.com or through reservation.

• Award travel must be wholly on American Airlines or a combination of American Airlines and US Airways.
  • American Airlines awards cannot be combined with any of our current partner.
  • American Airlines award travel chart (PDF)

Please see the devoted thread on using US miles to book AA here.
Print Wikipost

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2012, 11:03 pm

Programs: QF WP, AC*G
Originally Posted by Oneworldplus2
Unavailable is still unavailable to me.
I agree. However, it isn't US's fault, it is SQ's. With LH F it is US who appears to be doing some form of Starnet blocking a la UA a couple of years ago. It would be unfair to criticise US for SQ's unwillingness to be a team player in the alliance.
Old Apr 3, 2012, 11:28 pm

Programs: Too many to list. Status is a half dozen.
Originally Posted by *A Flyer
I agree. However, it isn't US's fault, it is SQ's. With LH F it is US who appears to be doing some form of Starnet blocking a la UA a couple of years ago. It would be unfair to criticise US for SQ's unwillingness to be a team player in the alliance.
Did you guys miss the memo? SQ premium space is available to partners now (and has been for several weeks), save for the A380 suites. ANA won't show it but AC and UA will. Plenty of people have recently booked SQ premium space with UA miles. Now I've no clue if US is having issues when UA shows space.
Old Apr 4, 2012, 12:22 am

Programs: Flying: VA; Buying: AA, AS, AV, BA, UA!
Originally Posted by ArizonaGuy
Did you guys miss the memo? SQ premium space is available to partners now (and has been for several weeks), save for the A380 suites. ANA won't show it but AC and UA will. Plenty of people have recently booked SQ premium space with UA miles. Now I've no clue if US is having issues when UA shows space.
I check with ua.com all the time and haven't seen any sea change in SQ premium availability. The odd A345 flight at very short notice, maybe one or two others but they are very definite exceptions. I can find nothing out of MEL or SYD ever unless it's on A330 or 773.
Old Apr 4, 2012, 1:23 am

Originally Posted by wheresmybagba
I check with ua.com all the time and haven't seen any sea change in SQ premium availability. The odd A345 flight at very short notice, maybe one or two others but they are very definite exceptions. I can find nothing out of MEL or SYD ever unless it's on A330 or 773.
Yes. But the point is *A partners can book SQ premium space when it's available.

The issue is whether or not US can book SQ premium award space when other *A carriers can. We know LH F award space is available on STARNET but US can't book it the "normal" way. Do we know for a fact the same thing applies with SQ F and J space? I don't think so.
Old Apr 4, 2012, 6:52 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, OZ*G, AA Gold, AS MVP
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
on April 4, icn-PVG on the 365 is showing as a 74E. looking at availability, there is no first class for sale (even though it has a first class cabin) and business is showing full across the board (zero'd out). row 2 looks like it will be a first class seat (but obviously with business class service)
Going back to this- my seat on OZ365 was indeed an F seat and service was also F except for the meal itself. I would definitely go for this again if it showed up.
Old Apr 4, 2012, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by jamar
Going back to this- my seat on OZ365 was indeed an F seat and service was also F except for the meal itself. I would definitely go for this again if it showed up.
thanks for the update! appreciate it. it is often the case that F crew will work an F cabin, even if it is being sold as business class. they do it on CX 747s for example, and on china airlines too (we had J crew in J cabin even though on an economy ticket). service can be very good.
Old Apr 4, 2012, 10:06 pm

Programs: Cards with lots of logos on them
Need some help here. I am trying to book the following on Air China (CA):

PEK-XIY (destination) -PVG (stop-over)-PEK

When I called into make the res, they said I was not allowed to have a stop-over in the same region.... This does not seem right to me and I will call back to hopefully get another rep on the line. Or should I change around the routing a bit? Say.... PEK-PVG (stop)-XIY (destination)-PEK ?
Old Apr 4, 2012, 10:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bthobe
Need some help here. I am trying to book the following on Air China (CA):

PEK-XIY (destination) -PVG (stop-over)-PEK

When I called into make the res, they said I was not allowed to have a stop-over in the same region.... This does not seem right to me and I will call back to hopefully get another rep on the line. Or should I change around the routing a bit? Say.... PEK-PVG (stop)-XIY (destination)-PEK ?
the agent is correct. you are not allowed a stopover for award travel wholly within the same region (regardless whether you think it is right or not!! )
Old Apr 4, 2012, 10:13 pm

PVG is also not a Star Alliance hub...
Old Apr 4, 2012, 10:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by belfordrocks
PVG is also not a Star Alliance hub...
i would have thought it is a hub for Air China?
Old Apr 4, 2012, 10:39 pm

Programs: Flying: VA; Buying: AA, AS, AV, BA, UA!
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
i would have thought it is a hub for Air China?
Of course it is!
Old Apr 4, 2012, 11:49 pm

With 28+ *A members, it seems more difficult to not stop at a hub.

Yes, everyone will shout out CDG, DXB, all of Australia, significant chunks of Africa and South America, etc. But you have to admit there are still plenty more options in *A than either of the other two alliances for unique routing choices. Pity Air India couldn't get their act together as they would have offered a great deal more choices.
Old Apr 5, 2012, 1:45 am

Never knew that PVG was considered a hub for CA. Guess I just learned something new.
Old Apr 5, 2012, 6:10 am
KRS

Transit in different Zone

Would FRA-SIN-HKG w/o stopover be considered Europe to North Asia or South & Central Asia? Would adding a stopover in SIN make a difference?
Old Apr 5, 2012, 6:19 am

Programs: M&M SEN (*G), HH Diamond
Originally Posted by KRS
Would FRA-SIN-HKG w/o stopover be considered Europe to North Asia or South & Central Asia?
North Asia.

Originally Posted by KRS
Would adding a stopover in SIN make a difference?
Yes. SIN is in South & Central Asia.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.