Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 14, 2013, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Update 08APR2014: Star Alliance Awards must have been booked by March 30, 2014. They are no longer available through US. This thread is mostly useful for historic purposes, and discussing issues such as schedule changes/route changes that affect FTers existing *A awards booked before 3/31/2014.

Discussion on using US miles to book oneworld awards is available here.

If you are looking for discussion on US's new partner awards that use various partners not in oneworld (many of whom are former *A partners), see the devoted thread on using US miles to book NON-oneworld partners here.

------------------------

Update 07JAN14: American Airlines award tickets bookable online on usairways.com or through reservation.

• Award travel must be wholly on American Airlines or a combination of American Airlines and US Airways.
  • American Airlines awards cannot be combined with any of our current partner.
  • American Airlines award travel chart (PDF)

Please see the devoted thread on using US miles to book AA here.
Print Wikipost

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2012, 4:46 pm

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Ambassador, B6 Mosaic, SBUX Gold, Best Buy Elite
Originally Posted by FLLDL
I would suggest that you study this thread. Partner awards to Europe are 100k in business using US miles, so not at all astronomical, just need to learn the ins and outs of the system.
My point is that I would just assume fly on US metal instead of using a partner. I ended up using LH/UA for my last flight since US wanted 200k miles for their own metal.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 9:39 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
Would this be a valid routing for a 40k per person award in economy?:

CLTua - IADua - SFO (18 hour layover in SFO)
SFOua - OGG (Destination)
OGGha - LIH (Stopover)
LIHha - HNLua - EWRua - CLT
Old Mar 30, 2012, 11:15 pm
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by beofotch

OGGha - LIH (Stopover)
Officially stopover is 24h only for international flights. For US domestic it is 4 hours.

LIH is not a *A hub.

I would call US anyway - maybe you would be lucky?
Old Mar 31, 2012, 8:13 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium

OGGha - LIH (Stopover)

So i have this mostly on hold with US Airways.

However, the 2 Hawaiian inter-island flights are an issue. They both show up on Hawaaiian’s website as available for “super saver coach” which should be bookable for a US economy award. However, when I try to book with US on the phone, they say “T” class is available for purchase, but not for miles. I even had the do a long-sell and it would not come back confirmed. Has anyone seen this glitch for an inter-island Hawaaiin US Airways flight?

Specifically I am talking about HA320 on 6/14 and HA190 on 6/9.

Last edited by beofotch; Mar 31, 2012 at 8:44 am
Old Mar 31, 2012, 1:59 pm

Programs: Free agent
Conversion question for DM newbie

I currently have zero miles with US Air and have never flown on a US Air flight in my life. I'm a 2MM with American and have concentrated all of my earning, credit cards, etc. with Oneworld. In hindsight I wasn't maximizing my opportunities. I was just approved for three CCs that will net me 150k United miles in the next couple of months.

I also have about 160k Starwood points.

We have a trip planned to SE Asia in August, already booked on Cathay in F from DFW-BKK via SFO and HKG. Our desired destination is Denpasar but the HKG connection wasn't available, so we settled on BKK. If something opened up to DPS last minute we'd just pay the change fee and switch.

This was booked before I applied for the cards that will get us the United miles, now I'm considering splitting the trip into two one way awards. I would only be interested if we could route DPS-BKK (stopover for three days)-FRA-DFW. That would allow us ample time to sample both the Thai First lounge in BKK and the First lounge in Frankfurt.

That brings me to my question about the Starwood transfer. I can transfer over 40k into my DM miles account and 40k into my wifes DM account right now and net 75k. I can buy the remaining 5k before April 15th to give me 80k.

I'm looking for opinions on the chances of booking the DPS-BKK-FRA-DFW ticket sometime between now and August using Dividend Miles. How likely is that given that it will be on a combo of Lufthansa and Thai in First?
Old Mar 31, 2012, 5:02 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG 100K, IHG Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by brj8826
I'm looking for opinions on the chances of booking the DPS-BKK-FRA-DFW ticket sometime between now and August using Dividend Miles. How likely is that given that it will be on a combo of Lufthansa and Thai in First?
Am I correct that you intend to use US miles for a one-way trip?

US Airways allows you to book one-way trip but at the price of a round-trip. So you will have to use 160K US miles for each person to make this happen.

UA does not allow a stopover with one-way redemption.
Old Mar 31, 2012, 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by Yahtzee
How far ahead of time did you find the EWR-SIN seats?
Less than 2 weeks
Old Mar 31, 2012, 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by travelislife
It is a red eye flight so most would want to sleep if they have to do any work the next day. 7 hours once you get up in the air and all the rest probably only gives 6 hours at best sleeping time, thus if you put two J class meals in there at an hour each then you are lucky to get 4 hours! You will never go hungry, just ask and they will pretty much bring you what you want.
I did ask for breakfast after everyone else was served. They didn't give me the full breakfast. I didn't want to make a big deal out of it and wasn't really very hungry, plus I was looking forward to eating in Melbourne.
Old Mar 31, 2012, 6:34 pm

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
I currently have zero miles with US Air and have never flown on a US Air flight in my life. I'm a 2MM with American and have concentrated all of my earning, credit cards, etc. with Oneworld. In hindsight I wasn't maximizing my opportunities. I was just approved for three CCs that will net me 150k United miles in the next couple of months.

Well, next time, better read the first thread of this forum first... We really don't care, how many points and miles you've got in program A, B and C... But it should'nt be too difficult to get the essential rules of a mileage program, now that everybody has an internet access...
Old Mar 31, 2012, 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by buschoi
Am I correct that you intend to use US miles for a one-way trip?

US Airways allows you to book one-way trip but at the price of a round-trip. So you will have to use 160K US miles for each person to make this happen.

UA does not allow a stopover with one-way redemption.
I've been trying to get up to speed on the *A program lately and knew good and well I couldn't book a oneway trip on US Air, yet I somehow convinced myself I could after using the United site to search for awards.

I read the thread about stopovers, but didn't see the comment about United not allowing them on a one way. So it looks like 18 hours is all i've got.

Thanks for clarifying both buschoi, I needed a kick in the head.

Last edited by jmail1; Mar 31, 2012 at 7:06 pm
Old Mar 31, 2012, 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by Air Rarotonga
Well, next time, better read the first thread of this forum first... We really don't care, how many points and miles you've got in program A, B and C... But it should'nt be too difficult to get the essential rules of a mileage program, now that everybody has an internet access...
Wow, thanks for that. My comment on my mileage was around my complete lack of knowledge around *A. My head has been swimming trying to bring myself up to speed and sometimes knowledge around one program for an extended period can lead to more confusion about another.

The comment about my Starwood points was related to the value of converting them to US Air for this specific purpose rather than keeping them in Starwood for a more valuable redemption later.

It also "should'nt" be too hard to extend a bit of latitude to someone. If you don't like the post ignore it.
Old Mar 31, 2012, 10:08 pm
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Arrow

So i have this mostly on hold with US Airways.

However, the 2 Hawaiian inter-island flights are an issue. They both show up on Hawaaiian’s website as available for “super saver coach” which should be bookable for a US economy award. However, when I try to book with US on the phone, they say “T” class is available for purchase, but not for miles. I even had the do a long-sell and it would not come back confirmed. Has anyone seen this glitch for an inter-island Hawaaiin US Airways flight?

Specifically I am talking about HA320 on 6/14 and HA190 on 6/9.
"SuperSaver" Economy (U) Awards are only for HA FFP members:
http://Help.KVSTool.com/#Classes

There is currently no Partner Economy Award (T) Availability on those flights, so the Agent was correct:

[KVS Availability Tool 6.9.8/Diamond - Sabre: Availability/FS/US]
Code:
OGG  Kahului HI US [PHOG]
LIH  Kauai Is Lihue HI US [PHLI]
THU  14 Jun 2012

Carrier    Flight  From  Depart    To    Arrive    A/C  St  Availability
---------  ------  ----  --------  ----  --------  ---  --  --------------------------------------------------------
HA         340     OGG   11:31     LIH   12:14     717      F7 P6 J7 Y7 X7 W7 V7 Q7 S7 I7 G7 N0 L0 H0 K0 M0 B0 T0 U0
HA         320     OGG   17:33     LIH   18:16     717      F7 P4 J7 Y7 X7 W7 V7 Q7 S7 I7 G7 N7 L7 H7 K7 M7 B7 T0 U4
[KVS Availability Tool 6.9.8/Diamond - Sabre: Availability/FS/US]
Code:
LIH  Kauai Is Lihue HI US [PHLI]
HNL  Honolulu Intl HI US [PHNL]
SAT  09 Jun 2012

Carrier    Flight  From  Depart    To    Arrive    A/C  St  Availability
---------  ------  ----  --------  ----  --------  ---  --  --------------------------------------------------------
HA         124     LIH   08:29     HNL   09:00     717      F7 P2 J7 Y7 X7 W7 V7 Q7 S7 I0 G0 N0 L0 H0 K0 M0 B0 T0 U0
HA         304     LIH   09:43     HNL   10:14     717      F3 P1 J3 Y5 X7 W7 V0 Q0 S0 I0 G0 N0 L0 H0 K0 M0 B0 T0 U0
HA         346     LIH   11:06     HNL   11:40     717      F0 P0 J0 Y0 X7 W7 V0 Q0 S0 I0 G0 N0 L0 H0 K0 M0 B0 T0 U0
HA         144     LIH   12:05     HNL   12:37     717      F2 P0 J2 Y0 X0 W0 V0 Q0 S0 I0 G0 N0 L0 H0 K0 M0 B0 T0 U0
HA         344     LIH   12:42     HNL   13:14     717      F2 P0 J2 Y7 X7 W7 V7 Q4 S4 I0 G0 N0 L0 H0 K0 M0 B0 T0 U0
HA         394     LIH   13:18     HNL   13:50     717      F7 P4 J7 Y7 X7 W7 V7 Q7 S7 I7 G7 N7 L7 H7 K7 M7 B7 T0 U7
HA         204     LIH   13:38     HNL   14:10     717      F7 P6 J7 Y7 X7 W7 V7 Q7 S7 I0 G0 N0 L0 H0 K0 M0 B0 T0 U0
HA         172     LIH   14:18     HNL   14:50     717      F6 P4 J6 Y7 X7 W7 V4 Q0 S0 I0 G0 N0 L0 H0 K0 M0 B0 T0 U0
HA         354     LIH   15:47     HNL   16:19     717      F7 P6 J7 Y7 X7 W7 V7 Q7 S7 I7 G7 N7 L7 H7 K7 M7 B7 T0 U0
HA         190     LIH   16:51     HNL   17:22     717      F7 P7 J7 Y7 X7 W7 V7 Q7 S7 I7 G7 N7 L7 H7 K7 M7 B7 T0 U0
HA         240     LIH   17:40     HNL   18:11     717      F7 P3 J7 Y7 X7 W7 V7 Q7 S7 I3 G0 N0 L0 H0 K0 M0 B0 T0 U0
HA         284     LIH   18:44     HNL   19:15     717      F7 P5 J7 Y7 X7 W7 V7 Q7 S7 I7 G7 N1 L1 H1 K1 M1 B1 T0 U0
Old Mar 31, 2012, 10:18 pm

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
Originally Posted by Yahtzee
How far ahead of time did you find the EWR-SIN seats?
The question I have is: what is the farthest out that someone has been able to book EWR-SIN ot LAX-SIN on SQ?

I'm flying to HKG at the end of June and wouldn't mind routing on SQ if possible!
Old Apr 1, 2012, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite

We have a trip planned to SE Asia in August, already booked on Cathay in F from DFW-BKK via SFO and HKG. Our desired destination is Denpasar but the HKG connection wasn't available, so we settled on BKK. If something opened up to DPS last minute we'd just pay the change fee and switch.

This was booked before I applied for the cards that will get us the United miles, now I'm considering splitting the trip into two one way awards. I would only be interested if we could route DPS-BKK (stopover for three days)-FRA-DFW. That would allow us ample time to sample both the Thai First lounge in BKK and the First lounge in Frankfurt.

That brings me to my question about the Starwood transfer. I can transfer over 40k into my DM miles account and 40k into my wifes DM account right now and net 75k. I can buy the remaining 5k before April 15th to give me 80k.

I would do this: keep your current itineraries on AA/UA, book BKK-DPS round trip with a US *A Award for SE Asia. That's 30K US miles per person, which is an excellent value for a business class redemption. You'll have the option to use TG on the nonstop or SQ through SIN (or both). No stopover allowed on intra-regional awards, unfortunately, so no way to do a side trip to SIN unless you want to just do it as an overnight of < 24 hours (which you could do, since SQ runs multiple SIN-DPS-SIN flights and SIN-BKK-SIN flights).

Alternately: if you book the intra-SE Asia C award on UA, it costs 35K (5K more), but gives you a stopover AND an open-jaw, and has very flexible routing, so you could easily add in HKT, CNX or whatever to your itinerary. (One note: HKG is considered NORTH Asia for US, SOUTH Asia for UA. However, US considers India and Pakistan to be South Asia. If you're clever you can use HKG advantageously that way- use HKG for the jump-off point from a US or AA award to a UA award.)

IMO, SE Asia is a really good place to daisy-chain awards- the mileage return for premium class travel is really good. Some complain about how CX/TG/SQ don't use their super-fancy premium class metal on those short routes, but compared to the decrepit narrowbodies with CRTs in the ceiling we usually see in the USA, you'll think it's pretty posh.

Oh, and by the by- that promo giving the 50% bonus on SPG->DM is over now. Hope you did your transfer already!

Oh, and another other thing: AMEX is giving 50% bonuses on AMEX transfers to BA right now. On the BA mileage chart, one way HKG-BKK or BKK-SIN in business is 15K (HKG-SIN/PEN is 20K). Also might be handy if you're doing hopping around SE Asia and want flights to mix in with US/UA awards. I've been doing some end of the year planning for SE Asia as well and found this to be of great utility. Happy travels!

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Apr 1, 2012 at 9:22 am
Old Apr 1, 2012, 10:50 am

Originally Posted by fets_be

I was explicitly told by the booking agent, that if O should open op on the flights that were in I now, I would NOT be able to upgrade. In this case, that's ok, since these flights are on two-cabin class birds... I asked about this and she told me this new rule was about two months old.
I couldn't find any other reference to this, can anyone else verify? This is really unfortunate news as I was planning to use this for an upcoming trip.

Originally Posted by Onewhoknows
Hi,

we need some input for a europe -EZE flight.
what are valid routings ? any hints on that ?
best regards
If you try to book EU-US-South America, please follow up with an update, I'd be very interested in this.

Last edited by koroleon; Apr 1, 2012 at 11:02 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.