Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 14, 2013, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Update 08APR2014: Star Alliance Awards must have been booked by March 30, 2014. They are no longer available through US. This thread is mostly useful for historic purposes, and discussing issues such as schedule changes/route changes that affect FTers existing *A awards booked before 3/31/2014.

Discussion on using US miles to book oneworld awards is available here.

If you are looking for discussion on US's new partner awards that use various partners not in oneworld (many of whom are former *A partners), see the devoted thread on using US miles to book NON-oneworld partners here.

------------------------

Update 07JAN14: American Airlines award tickets bookable online on usairways.com or through reservation.

• Award travel must be wholly on American Airlines or a combination of American Airlines and US Airways.
  • American Airlines awards cannot be combined with any of our current partner.
  • American Airlines award travel chart (PDF)

Please see the devoted thread on using US miles to book AA here.
Print Wikipost

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2010, 9:27 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, QFF WP, Velocity Gold
Partner travel
One en route stopover per itinerary is permitted for select international travel awards.
Straight from the dividend miles website.

gleff: I've done Australia to US via Europe and stopover in Asia.. but that's from Perth, and not in North Asia. I think the big problem is getting a stopover in NRT. I tried to do that and the computer rejected me, many times!
Old Jul 26, 2010, 9:38 am

Programs: Nothing shiny :-(
Originally Posted by ArizonaGuy
That's out of date. The rules in the membership guide clearly differ and were changed effective in June.

One stopover per itinerary.
Rats!! Might have to rethink my plans then....
Old Jul 26, 2010, 10:49 am

Programs: AA, UA, NWA, SPG, HH
Will MCI-ORD-FRA-BOM (Stop) - BKK (Destination)- FRA-ORD-MCI be allowed?

I wasn't sure if stopping over in BOM is allowed on a routing to BKK.

Thanks!
Old Jul 26, 2010, 11:14 am

Originally Posted by doubled79
Will MCI-ORD-FRA-BOM (Stop) - BKK (Destination)- FRA-ORD-MCI be allowed?

I wasn't sure if stopping over in BOM is allowed on a routing to BKK.

Thanks!
No, but the reverse should be - stopping in BKK on a routing to BOM.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 11:17 am

Dear all,

Any input from the experts regarding the following open jaw itinerary (no stop overs) for 2 pax would be highly appreciated:

ZRH-JNB-MUB (or GBE if better availability)
MPM-JNB-ZRH

First and last sequence preferrably with LX (alternatively LH or SA) in F. For continental flights in Africa, it would be SA in C.

The target date for departure is July 11, 2011 (or any following date) and the return date would be July 27 or thereabouts. Any insights about availability for the respective awards?

Also: Are there any other options to find out about award availabilities other than calling the US Airways hotline? ANA does unfortunately not help here given the 330-days range. Thanks a lot.

Last edited by Travelidgio; Jul 26, 2010 at 11:26 am
Old Jul 26, 2010, 12:06 pm

Programs: AA, UA, NWA, SPG, HH
Originally Posted by abcx
I want to visit BOM before BKK.

Could I instead do:

MCI-ORD-FRA-BOM (destination)- BKK (Stopover)-FRA-ORD-MCI?
Old Jul 26, 2010, 12:27 pm

Programs: US Chairman, Marriott Platinum, PCR Platinum, and SPG Gold
Originally Posted by ejh25
My initial thought was IAD-FRA-SIN open jaw return from KBV-BKK-FRA-IAD. All on LH and TG or SQ if possible. We would then buy a ticket between SIN-HAN stop HAN-BKK stop BKK-KBV stop. This would be 160K miles per ticket.

I then started to look at using my fiance's AA miles on CX. We could fly DCA-JFK-HKG open jaw return BKK-HKG-JFK-DCA. This would be 135K miles per ticket and we'd get to fly CX F. We would then buy a HKG-PEK stop PEK-KBV stop KBV-BKK.

What would you do?....

Could I nest a US Air award from HKG-PEK open jaw return BKK-HKG? Would that be worth the miles since I'd have to pay for Asia 1 into Asia 2?
So we decided to fly CX to HKG. We're flying DCA-JFK-HKG and returning BKK-HKG-JFK-DCA. These tix are 135K miles each for F.

What we'd like to do is nest this *A ticket in between: HKG-PEK stop PEK-BKK-KBV destination KBV-BKK-PEK....the trick would then be to skip the last segment BKK-PEK. Could this work?
Old Jul 26, 2010, 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by abcx
Are you sure? Bangkok is east of Bombay. I would have thought doubled79's routing would be fine.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 4:14 pm

Programs: OZ *G, HHonors Gold, Aclub Plat
Originally Posted by louie-m
Are you sure? Bangkok is east of Bombay. I would have thought doubled79's routing would be fine.
Agree with louie. This route looks ok.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 5:52 pm
SCS

According to the rules, stopovers must be in a *A hub, which BOM is not. So you can satisfy this rule by calling BKK the stopover. True, it's out of the way, but not egregiously so.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 8:25 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold (*G), IHG Platinum & Hyatt Discoverist
I spoke to the US Airways call centre and they weren't able to answer my question.

Are you allowed to redeem miles for a Star Alliance award in somebody else's name?
Old Jul 26, 2010, 9:05 pm

Programs: Too many to list. Status is a half dozen.
Originally Posted by Coathanger
I spoke to the US Airways call centre and they weren't able to answer my question.

Are you allowed to redeem miles for a Star Alliance award in somebody else's name?
Yes. If you mean you are using your miles to book an award for your family member or friend.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 9:07 pm

Programs: Too many to list. Status is a half dozen.
Originally Posted by SCS
According to the rules, stopovers must be in a *A hub, which BOM is not. So you can satisfy this rule by calling BKK the stopover. True, it's out of the way, but not egregiously so.
If only AI had joined *A already!
Old Jul 27, 2010, 2:47 am

Originally Posted by SCS
Whoops, overlooked that point. Bangkok is nearly 2,000 miles east of Bombay, so it would be very generous of US to allow that. But if they do then the doubled79's alternative suggestion of MCI-ORD-FRA-BOM (destination)- BKK (Stopover)-FRA-ORD-MCI would presumably work?
Old Jul 27, 2010, 3:18 am

Programs: BD*G, BAGold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat
Whoops, overlooked that point. Bangkok is nearly 2,000 miles east of Bombay, so it would be very generous of US to allow that. But if they do then the doubled79's alternative suggestion of MCI-ORD-FRA-BOM (destination)- BKK (Stopover)-FRA-ORD-MCI would presumably work?
Don't worry about stopping over in a hub city. If they don't let you then just call back. I have a booking with a stopover in DEL before continuing to BKK at I had no problems when calling up and booking for the first time. I don't actually see the reason for this rule? Does it cost US more to stop in a non hub city

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.