Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 14, 2013, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Update 08APR2014: Star Alliance Awards must have been booked by March 30, 2014. They are no longer available through US. This thread is mostly useful for historic purposes, and discussing issues such as schedule changes/route changes that affect FTers existing *A awards booked before 3/31/2014.

Discussion on using US miles to book oneworld awards is available here.

If you are looking for discussion on US's new partner awards that use various partners not in oneworld (many of whom are former *A partners), see the devoted thread on using US miles to book NON-oneworld partners here.

------------------------

Update 07JAN14: American Airlines award tickets bookable online on usairways.com or through reservation.

• Award travel must be wholly on American Airlines or a combination of American Airlines and US Airways.
  • American Airlines awards cannot be combined with any of our current partner.
  • American Airlines award travel chart (PDF)

Please see the devoted thread on using US miles to book AA here.
Print Wikipost

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2010, 1:12 pm

Programs: US, CO, PC, SPG, Hyatt
FM leaving *A

I was going to book an award ticket that involves HKG-PVG on FM for next year. But it's just been announced that FM is leaving *A on Oct 31. So do you think I should look for a difference routing to PVG because FM may not honor the US award reservation after it is not part of the allliance? Thanks for your advice.
Old Jul 29, 2010, 2:24 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by africansky
FM leaving *A
For those, like me, who aren't familiar with airline code FM, I'll save you the search -- it's Shanghai Airlines.

Personally, I would look for another option. A situation like this, involving US and a Chinese airline, just seems risky to me.
Old Jul 29, 2010, 2:43 pm
Formerly known as fsa_ea

Programs: UA GS/1MM,AS 75k,NK GLD,AA 2MM,DL 2MM,LH FT,AY PLT,IC RA,FMT LT PLT,HYT GLB,HLT DIA,MRT GLD,HRTZ PC
Originally Posted by gleff
You could have kept the stopover and just added a SFO-SEA flight to the end that you'd toss away in order to complete the roundtrip...
Very clever. I knew you would have a better solution!

In hindsight, I wish I had booked SFO-SEA in Y (only class available) at the beginning of the trip. Now I have to purchase that segment, which will basically be the equivalent of buying an expensive upgrade. Oh well, I wouldn't want to ruin an international first-class trip with a flight in coach.
Old Jul 29, 2010, 7:52 pm

Could anyone help find available seats for 2pax in C?

The route we actually need is as follows but it seems there is not one seat availabel in C on any SQ-flights for those periods :-(

Outbound: FRA-SIN-ADL (14.01.2011 - 22.01.2011) maybe short stopover in BKK
Inbound: ADL-SIN-FRA (End of June 2011)

It is still my preferred route to go via Asia but I'm open to go via the US as well. M But NZ-availability seems to be just as bad as SQ...

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance
Old Jul 29, 2010, 8:10 pm

Programs: UA, QF, VS, AA, US, HH, SPG
For some reasons SQ seems not to be offering ANY C (and even Y in many cases) award seats between SIN and Australia at any time at present even on non-77W and non-A380 flights. Until about 2 months ago such award seats were readily available. If anyone knows what's going on -- please advise.

Your best bet is to try FRA-BKK-AKL-ADL on LH, TG and NZ; however, this also looks a bit sparse in January. You can definitely find availability FRA-BKK-SYD on LH, LX (maybe) and TG but you would need to buy a ticket SYD-ADL which is not particularly expensive. Others may suggest more exotic routings but it would be a marathon trip (eg FRA-YVR-AKL-ADL or FRA-LAX/SFO-SYD-AKL-ADL) - this would use LH or LX, AC or NZ or UA, and NZ .... some legs will have very limited availability - particularly those serviced by AC and NZ.

End of June 2011 is not yet open for booking.
Old Jul 29, 2010, 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by pschafer
For some reasons SQ seems not to be offering ANY C (and even Y in many cases) award seats between SIN and Australia at any time at present even on non-77W and non-A380 flights. Until about 2 months ago such award seats were readily available. If anyone knows what's going on -- please advise..
That's exactly my experience. I did the same booking I'm looking for earlier this year and SIN-ADL was available every single day.

I did a reservation yesterday FRA-BOM(stopover)-BKK-MEL(stop)-BKK-FRA just not happy with it yet. Would love to do routing like FRA-YVR-AKL-ADL or FRA-LAX/SFO-SYD-AKL-ADL with a stopover in HNL or RAR but can't find available seats in C for my dates...
Old Jul 29, 2010, 10:01 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA 1MM Gold, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HH Gold
Problem with NH?

I'm trying to book an award in C and I'm having trouble getting the agents to see award availability on NH. The ANA website shows seats available on all classes on the day that I'd like to fly, but the US agents don't show any availability.

I thought maybe it was because the award is meant to be booked in high season (according to the NH website) and others in this thread have said that NH occasionally releases award seats in high season only to it's own members.

However, I called United to double check and United could see the award seats as available, so they're publicly available. I thought maybe it might be specific routes that US is trying to block (in my case, ORD-NRT), but I had a US agent check a few other NH intra-Asia flights around the same day that showed as available on the ANA website, and they couldn't see those flights either.

The NH flights would be infinitely more convenient than my current routing; any suggestions as to how to get the US agents to see that availability? I've tried talking to them about how the seats are publicly available, but they of course give back the line that "we only get seats that are released to us" nonsense.
Old Jul 30, 2010, 1:18 am

Originally Posted by andrewwm
I'm trying to book an award in C and I'm having trouble getting the agents to see award availability on NH. The ANA website shows seats available on all classes on the day that I'd like to fly, but the US agents don't show any availability.

I thought maybe it was because the award is meant to be booked in high season (according to the NH website) and others in this thread have said that NH occasionally releases award seats in high season only to it's own members.

However, I called United to double check and United could see the award seats as available, so they're publicly available. I thought maybe it might be specific routes that US is trying to block (in my case, ORD-NRT), but I had a US agent check a few other NH intra-Asia flights around the same day that showed as available on the ANA website, and they couldn't see those flights either.

The NH flights would be infinitely more convenient than my current routing; any suggestions as to how to get the US agents to see that availability? I've tried talking to them about how the seats are publicly available, but they of course give back the line that "we only get seats that are released to us" nonsense.
i've been thinking about this. is the availability of NH flights found on ANA tool for all *A members or just for ANA mileage club members?

can anyone pls enlighten me.

thanks
Old Jul 30, 2010, 3:30 am

So based on what I've read, in terms of F class experiences:

SQ F is pretty much needle in a haystack
LX F transatlantic seems just as rare
LX F to Asia has pretty reasonable availability - are there any particular planes to go for / avoid...?
LH F on the A380 isn't bookable, apart from one rogue week when inventory got released
LH F on other planes has pretty good availability
TG and OZ also seem to have pretty good availability - again, are there any particular planes people would/wouldn't recommend...?
Old Jul 30, 2010, 4:44 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, QFF WP, Velocity Gold
Originally Posted by pibrahim
So based on what I've read, in terms of F class experiences:

SQ F is pretty much needle in a haystack
LX F transatlantic seems just as rare
LX F to Asia has pretty reasonable availability - are there any particular planes to go for / avoid...?
LH F on the A380 isn't bookable, apart from one rogue week when inventory got released
LH F on other planes has pretty good availability
TG and OZ also seem to have pretty good availability - again, are there any particular planes people would/wouldn't recommend...?
That's about right.
SQ F on SIN-NRT-LAX and return is available about 1 week out, for 1 passenger.
LX F TATL has become rarer for a reason I'm not aware of. When I booked my last trip it was plenty available.
TG on the BKK-NRT I've found to be a little hard to obtain for 2 people, 1 seat is okay.
OZ F ICN-JFK is also pretty hard to obtain more than 1 seat for.
Old Jul 30, 2010, 8:52 am

Programs: US Chairman, Marriott Platinum, PCR Platinum, and SPG Gold
Originally Posted by ejh25
Any thoughts on my proposed Asia 1 to Asia 2 routing?

HKG-PEK stop PEK-BKK-KBV destination KBV-BKK-HKG return but we'll skip the BKK-HKG leg
How about convincing an agent to do this: SZX-PEK stop PEK-BKK-KBV destination KBV-BKK-SZX and skip the final BKK-SZX segment.

SZX is close by to HKG but the only way to get SZX-BKK on *A is through PEK and PEK is an Air China hub.

Thoughts?
Old Jul 30, 2010, 8:59 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, QFF WP, Velocity Gold
Don't see much problem with that ejh. What was your concern? I doubt 1% of US agents know where SZX is, let alone KBV
Old Jul 30, 2010, 9:15 am

Originally Posted by peachy3
Don't see much problem with that ejh. What was your concern? I doubt 1% of US agents know where SZX is, let alone KBV
I was worried about the backtracking. My earlier thought was to fly HKG-PEK stop PEK-BKK-KBV destination KBV-BKK-HKG return and skip the BKK-HKG segment. Someone thought that it would be hard to justify the stopover since there is a direct HKG-BKK flight on TG.

I was thinking SZX would be easier to book than HKG for this reason.

What about skipping the last segment part? You think I'll have any issues with that?
Old Jul 30, 2010, 9:21 am

Programs: AA Million Miler, Mosaic, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by fumo
i've been thinking about this. is the availability of NH flights found on ANA tool for all *A members or just for ANA mileage club members?

can anyone pls enlighten me.

thanks
I think all *A members. That said, I just joined ANA in order to use the tool and it says I can't search other *A carriers since I have a zero balance with ANA. Is that new or normal?
Old Jul 30, 2010, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by Yahtzee
I think all *A members. That said, I just joined ANA in order to use the tool and it says I can't search other *A carriers since I have a zero balance with ANA. Is that new or normal?
New as of a month ago or so.

The KVS Availability tool still pulls up *A availability through ANA numbers even if they have 0 balances.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.