Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 14, 2013, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Update 08APR2014: Star Alliance Awards must have been booked by March 30, 2014. They are no longer available through US. This thread is mostly useful for historic purposes, and discussing issues such as schedule changes/route changes that affect FTers existing *A awards booked before 3/31/2014.

Discussion on using US miles to book oneworld awards is available here.

If you are looking for discussion on US's new partner awards that use various partners not in oneworld (many of whom are former *A partners), see the devoted thread on using US miles to book NON-oneworld partners here.

------------------------

Update 07JAN14: American Airlines award tickets bookable online on usairways.com or through reservation.

• Award travel must be wholly on American Airlines or a combination of American Airlines and US Airways.
  • American Airlines awards cannot be combined with any of our current partner.
  • American Airlines award travel chart (PDF)

Please see the devoted thread on using US miles to book AA here.
Print Wikipost

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2010, 5:45 am

Programs: M&M SEN (*G), HH Diamond
Originally Posted by fijaircan
I've booked the following to Fiji next year:

SEA-FRA LH F
FRA-BKK LH F
(Stopover)
BKK-SYD TG F
SYD-AKL NZ C
AKL-NAN NZ C
(destination)
NAN-AKL NZ C
AKL-SYD NZ C
SYD-BKK TG F
BKK-FRA TG F
FRA-SEA LH F
I can understand the outbound routing, but you sure must love flying if you go all these lenghts to get back from NAN to SEA!
Old Aug 6, 2010, 8:17 am

SEA-FRA LH F
FRA-BKK LH F
(Stopover)
BKK-SYD TG F
SYD-AKL NZ C
AKL-NAN NZ C
(destination)
NAN-AKL NZ C
AKL-SYD NZ C
SYD-BKK TG F
BKK-FRA TG F
FRA-SEA LH F

140,000 miles + Tax: 129.80 USD + Fee: 50 USD
Very well done!
Old Aug 6, 2010, 9:28 am

Programs: UA Platinum, DL Platinum, AFKL Gold, Qatar Gold

SEA-FRA LH F
FRA-BKK LH F
(Stopover)
BKK-SYD TG F
SYD-AKL NZ C
AKL-NAN NZ C
(destination)
NAN-AKL NZ C
AKL-SYD NZ C
SYD-BKK TG F
BKK-FRA TG F
FRA-SEA LH F

Impressive!
What is the total mileage for all those flights?
Old Aug 6, 2010, 7:50 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, QFF WP, Velocity Gold
Hey guys,

I just managed to book one also:

PER-BKK TG C
BKK-DEL TG F
DEL-ZRH LX F (333!)
ZRH-FRA LH C
FRA-MCO LH F

MCO-FRA LH F
FRA-ICN OZ F
ICN-NRT OZ C

NRT-BKK TG F (still waiting on one first class seat...but hopefully they won't charge me for the change =))
BKK-PER TG C

All in 140 000 miles, 150 taxes 50 fee. First agent said I could do max 8 segments only but the second agent just put it through (albeit taking 1 hr 10 mins)
Old Aug 7, 2010, 3:10 am

Programs: AC *SE, Westjet PLAT, UA Prem, Alaska MVP, Marriott Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by goliath
I can understand the outbound routing, but you sure must love flying if you go all these lenghts to get back from NAN to SEA!
First Class was only available via that routing on the days that I wanted.

P.S. - I booked two tickets - both on same flights all the way.
Old Aug 7, 2010, 3:15 am

Programs: AC *SE, Westjet PLAT, UA Prem, Alaska MVP, Marriott Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by thyeri
Impressive!
What is the total mileage for all those flights?
About 36K - I think.
Old Aug 7, 2010, 5:27 am

Programs: US*G BR*CE
Originally Posted by peachy3
Hey guys,

I just managed to book one also:

PER-BKK TG C
BKK-DEL TG F
DEL-ZRH LX F (333!)
ZRH-FRA LH C
FRA-MCO LH F

MCO-FRA LH F
FRA-ICN OZ F
ICN-NRT OZ C

NRT-BKK TG F (still waiting on one first class seat...but hopefully they won't charge me for the change =))
BKK-PER TG C

All in 140 000 miles, 150 taxes 50 fee. First agent said I could do max 8 segments only but the second agent just put it through (albeit taking 1 hr 10 mins)

nope, they won't charge for change fee
so if it becomes available, and you're gonna call to change, if the agent says they'd require you to pay a fee, hang up the phone and try again!
Old Aug 7, 2010, 6:11 am

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt

SEA-FRA LH F
FRA-BKK LH F
(Stopover)
BKK-SYD TG F
SYD-AKL NZ C
AKL-NAN NZ C
(destination)
NAN-AKL NZ C
AKL-SYD NZ C
SYD-BKK TG F
BKK-FRA TG F
FRA-SEA LH F

You are my HERO!!! I just got home from what I thought was a long routing: PHL-LAX-ICN-BKK-HKG and HKG-BKK-ZRH-JFK. All in F except form ICN-BKK in C. But what you have planned is amazing. How did you get five segments in each direction? I thought the limit was four.
Old Aug 7, 2010, 6:22 am

About 36K - I think.

That's exactly right. ^

What's the record for miles flown on an award booking? Your itinerary has got to be up there.

Last edited by tommyleo; Aug 7, 2010 at 6:28 am
Old Aug 7, 2010, 12:04 pm

Programs: UA, AA, AS, SPG.
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9650/5.0.0.699 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Originally Posted by tommyleo
About 36K - I think.

That's exactly right. ^

What's the record for miles flown on an award booking? Your itinerary has got to be up there.
My record booked was 37,650 in F. But I ended up changing the return making it a "RTW" but reducing the mileage to about 32k
Old Aug 7, 2010, 12:10 pm

Programs: AA-UA-AS IHG-SPG-Carlson

SEA-FRA LH F
FRA-BKK LH F
(Stopover)
BKK-SYD TG F
SYD-AKL NZ C
AKL-NAN NZ C
(destination)
NAN-AKL NZ C
AKL-SYD NZ C
SYD-BKK TG F
BKK-FRA TG F
FRA-SEA LH F

Wow, this makes me wish I had bought
a few more Track-It-Back stickers...
Old Aug 7, 2010, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by tommyleo
You are my HERO!!! I just got home from what I thought was a long routing: PHL-LAX-ICN-BKK-HKG and HKG-BKK-ZRH-JFK. All in F except form ICN-BKK in C. But what you have planned is amazing. How did you get five segments in each direction? I thought the limit was four.
Yes, you are right - they said 8 segments in total. I told them that BKK to AKL was one segment (via SYD) and the same coming back (AKL to BKK as one segment via SYD). They were OK with this since there were no first class between BKK-AKL direct.
Old Aug 7, 2010, 6:54 pm

Yes, you are right - they said 8 segments in total. I told them that BKK to AKL was one segment (via SYD) and the same coming back (AKL to BKK as one segment via SYD). They were OK with this since there were no first class between BKK-AKL direct.

I love it. That makes no sense at all (that BKK-SYD-AKL, on two different carriers, is one segment) -- but US went with it anyway!
Old Aug 9, 2010, 5:56 pm

Programs: Mega Bus Plaid; Southwest Airlines Ruby and Bates Motel Platinum
I love this thread. I am a newbie at booking a *A US DM rewards trip, but the info in this thread has been tremendous. Now, I find myself confussed ...not hard to do, I must say!

In looking to book my first awards trip, I have these questions.

The sticky at the front says that 2 stopovers per trip are permitted, but recent posts seem to suggest it is now either one open jaw or a stopover. Is that firm? Secondly, I am wondering how US Agents define a segment? I suspect it is a flight between airport A and B, but wonder if this is always the case. For instance, UA runs a flight which runs from OGG to KOA which last probably all of 17 minutes before the plane returns to ORD...would that first flight constitute a segment? The flight is generally denoted as OGG to ORD (with one stop). I am worried about bumping up against the segment limit...here again the initial sticky says limit of 10, but again recent posts suggest a tightening of the policy to 4 each way...any consensus?

Finally, I am probably looking at redeeming on a Biz class award...one leg of my flight will likely be in Coach and there is a short segment between MCI-ORD in which UA offers Coach and F. On a business award ticket am I limited to the coach level or would they allow a F redemption for this leg and possibly considering that I am downgrading later in the trip and no biz is offered on that flight?

Thanks so much for any available insight anyone can provide.
Old Aug 9, 2010, 6:05 pm

Programs: Too many to list. Status is a half dozen.
Originally Posted by muflyer
The sticky at the front says that 2 stopovers per trip are permitted, but recent posts seem to suggest it is now either one open jaw or a stopover. Is that firm?
The first post is out of date. In the membership guide available on the website you can see the policy was updated and as of June it's been one stopover or one open jaw per itinerary - not per direction. I don't think anyone has snagged double stops since then or if they have it was sheer luck and I'd put the probability at 10% or less.

Originally Posted by muflyer
Finally, I am probably looking at redeeming on a Biz class award...one leg of my flight will likely be in Coach and there is a short segment between MCI-ORD in which UA offers Coach and F. On a business award ticket am I limited to the coach level or would they allow a F redemption for this leg and possibly considering that I am downgrading later in the trip and no biz is offered on that flight?
If you book a long-haul business award, you are entitled to first class within North America on a flight with two cabins, subject to availability of course.

I'll be interested to see what others answer regarding your segment question. On a revenue ticket, you don't get miles each segment on direct flights with a stop so I avoid them - which means I don't know how the segment count posts either. But if a revenue ticket on that route nets two segments, then I'd guess an award would require it too. YMMV with every agent, of course.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.