Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 14, 2013, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Update 08APR2014: Star Alliance Awards must have been booked by March 30, 2014. They are no longer available through US. This thread is mostly useful for historic purposes, and discussing issues such as schedule changes/route changes that affect FTers existing *A awards booked before 3/31/2014.

Discussion on using US miles to book oneworld awards is available here.

If you are looking for discussion on US's new partner awards that use various partners not in oneworld (many of whom are former *A partners), see the devoted thread on using US miles to book NON-oneworld partners here.

------------------------

Update 07JAN14: American Airlines award tickets bookable online on usairways.com or through reservation.

• Award travel must be wholly on American Airlines or a combination of American Airlines and US Airways.
  • American Airlines awards cannot be combined with any of our current partner.
  • American Airlines award travel chart (PDF)

Please see the devoted thread on using US miles to book AA here.
Print Wikipost

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2010, 5:38 pm
formerly FamilyFlyers

Programs: Virtuoso, Four Seasons Preferred Partner, Select Hotels, The Travel Collection, American Express PWP
Thank you for your help, Arizona Guy!
So if I can book the identical entire itinary on US Air, I can call and just use the Lufthansa numbers to get the partner award for the lower miles?
If one leg is on US Air, and the others on partners or codeshares, I can do the same thing?

I have figured out the ANA tool so I know how to first check for availability for each airline.
Old Oct 9, 2010, 5:44 pm

Programs: Too many to list. Status is a half dozen.
Originally Posted by familyflyers
Thank you for your help, Arizona Guy!
So if I can book the identical entire itinary on US Air, I can call and just use the Lufthansa numbers to get the partner award for the lower miles?
If one leg is on US Air, and the others on partners or codeshares, I can do the same thing?

I have figured out the ANA tool so I know how to first check for availability for each airline.
I'm afraid I'm not clearly understanding what you are asking. If you wish to book CLT-MUC-BCN and return, and there is availability you've found via ANA, then I believe you understand. You simply call US and tell them that's what you want to book. All on LH it will require 60K, 100K or 125K Dividend Miles depending on which class you are seeking. Ask for the specific flights. If you get an unwilling or unhelpful agent, politely hang up, call back and try someone else.
Old Oct 9, 2010, 5:54 pm
formerly FamilyFlyers

Programs: Virtuoso, Four Seasons Preferred Partner, Select Hotels, The Travel Collection, American Express PWP
Sorry that I am not being clear. Let me try to rephrase.
Can US Air require that you book under their flight numbers and pay the higher mileage?
If one of your legs is a US Air only leg (no codeshare) but the rest are codeshares or are on partner airlines, will you still pay at the partner award level?
Let's say the ANA tool shows award availability only on the US Air flight numbers for 3 out of 4 legs. Is this still a partner award?
Old Oct 10, 2010, 2:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
The ANA tool only shows what would be available on US at the partner level (saver), so it will be at lowest level.
Old Oct 10, 2010, 3:34 am

Can US Air require that you book under their flight numbers and pay the higher mileage?
If one of your legs is a US Air only leg (no codeshare) but the rest are codeshares or are on partner airlines, will you still pay at the partner award level?
Let's say the ANA tool shows award availability only on the US Air flight numbers for 3 out of 4 legs. Is this still a partner award?
Completely ignore the codeshare aspect of flights when booking awards. It doesn't apply, you can't book codeshares on award tickets. CLT-MUC is operated daily as LH429. It's also US5608 and TK8590, possibly some others too. Doesn't matter - you can't book US5608 as an award. You'll be booking the actual flight # of LH429. And you can book LH429 whether US puts its codeshare number on it or not.

So this fact combined with the fact ANA is showing what's available at the "low" level - as there is only one level for *A and partner awards - means you don't need to be concerned about somehow being forced to redeem at a higher level for *A partners.
Old Oct 10, 2010, 9:21 am

I recently booked an award with the majority being US Airways legs and the rest UA and CO legs and was charged according to the partner award level.
Old Oct 10, 2010, 11:10 pm

Programs: WN A+/CP, UA1K, AA PP; Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, SPG Plat; National EE
The entire itinerary would look like
ORD-FRA-BKK-SYD(dest)-BKK-IST-FRA(stopover)/ATH-FRA-IAD
Originally Posted by gleff
That would have a stopover AND an open jaw which is not permitted.

Now, I just booked something like that yesterday so it's certainly possible

But it's not technically permitted, no.
Well, I had on hold the itinerary with just SYD-BKK-IST-FRA-IAD as the return, but some friends were stopping in HKG in a couple of weekends so I called a couple of times and spoke with three agents trying to add BKK-HKG-SYD on the way there and get a stopover in HKG and then on the return in FRA and then return to ORD so it would only be 2 stopovers and fix the open jaw problem. 2 of the 3 unhelpful agents talked about the 8 segment rule and the last one wouldn't just let me do my original on-hold itinerary because it was an open jaw and stopover and to fix the open jaw would require 5 segments on the return and she insisted the supervisor told her only 4 segments were allowed each way for a total of 8 segments.
looks like it back to scratch and more customer service roulette.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 4:06 am

Programs: BD*G, BAGold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by honey4life12
Well, I had on hold the itinerary with just SYD-BKK-IST-FRA-IAD as the return, but some friends were stopping in HKG in a couple of weekends so I called a couple of times and spoke with three agents trying to add BKK-HKG-SYD on the way there and get a stopover in HKG and then on the return in FRA and then return to ORD so it would only be 2 stopovers and fix the open jaw problem. 2 of the 3 unhelpful agents talked about the 8 segment rule and the last one wouldn't just let me do my original on-hold itinerary because it was an open jaw and stopover and to fix the open jaw would require 5 segments on the return and she insisted the supervisor told her only 4 segments were allowed each way for a total of 8 segments.

I don't see why you are getting angry that US is not allowing any of these itinerary's. They are all breaking US's redemption policy so why should they. The rules quite plainly say you are allowed one stopover per itinerary or one open jaw. And just remember, it doesn't matter what itinerary you put on hold... If you just reel off a load of flights then they will quite happily put the itinerary on hold, but when it comes to ticketing that's when the system declines it or it becomes apparent that it is not an allowed routing.

Just be thankful that US is so lenient with routing that they will actually allow a IAD/ORD-SYD routing via europe and asia!

If you really want both stopovers then just book an open-jaw ORD-SYD-HKG and then purchase some BMI miles to book a one way HKG-FRA(stop)-IAD. It won't work out being that much more expensive. This way you will have both stopovers and the open-jaw ^
Old Oct 11, 2010, 5:17 am

Originally Posted by honey4life12
You cannot have a stopover in HKG. It is not a *A hub.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 5:24 am

Originally Posted by jjjohn
You cannot have a stopover in HKG. It is not a *A hub.
Erroneous.

I believe that HKG is a hub for NZ. You will likely run into problems if you get an agent that enforces the "rule" that one must fly a the hub's airline into the hub in order to stopover there.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 8:39 am
formerly FamilyFlyers

Originally Posted by ArizonaGuy
Completely ignore the codeshare aspect of flights when booking awards. It doesn't apply, you can't book codeshares on award tickets. CLT-MUC is operated daily as LH429. It's also US5608 and TK8590, possibly some others too. Doesn't matter - you can't book US5608 as an award. You'll be booking the actual flight # of LH429. And you can book LH429 whether US puts its codeshare number on it or not.

So this fact combined with the fact ANA is showing what's available at the "low" level - as there is only one level for *A and partner awards - means you don't need to be concerned about somehow being forced to redeem at a higher level for *A partners.
Thank you for your help. I booked our award tickets. The ANA tool is extremely useful. I had two different options researched for our outbound trip, and that came in handy because in the 15 or 20 minutes between researching and calling, there was one less seat on our slightly preferred option. I needed 4 tickets and they only had 3. I quickly got online with ANA and confirmed this and switched gears to our 2nd option. So, we are flying to BCN through Munich on LH then JK with a 5 hour layover inbound (if we could have flown through Frankfurt we would have had a much shorter layover) and LH through Frankfurt on the return. 240K miles for 4 tickets + $136.66 in taxes and fees per person.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 3:28 pm

Programs: Ex-NWA Plat
Just saw availability on the A380 between FRA and JNB in business class on the ANA tool.
Is this something new? Or am I just late in getting to know about this possibility?
Old Oct 11, 2010, 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by gottaluvNW
Just saw availability on the A380 between FRA and JNB in business class on the ANA tool.
Is this something new? Or am I just late in getting to know about this possibility?
Possibility of C on LH A380 or possibility of LH A380 on FRA-JNB?

If the former, C is nothing "new" on the LH A380 and has been available fairly easily - there are quite a lot of C seats on the aircraft but it's basically the same C we've seen for some time. New C won't come until the 748i comes online. It's F that's new and was briefly open on FRA-NRT. If the latter: I haven't been following A380 deliveries, I would guess FRA-JNB is the next target for their incoming aircraft.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 6:23 pm

Programs: *G, SPG, OW Sapphire
Originally Posted by ArizonaGuy
Possibility of C on LH A380 or possibility of LH A380 on FRA-JNB?

If the former, C is nothing "new" on the LH A380 and has been available fairly easily - there are quite a lot of C seats on the aircraft but it's basically the same C we've seen for some time. New C won't come until the 748i comes online. It's F that's new and was briefly open on FRA-NRT. If the latter: I haven't been following A380 deliveries, I would guess FRA-JNB is the next target for their incoming aircraft.
come on JFK!!!

I might be too young to have ever experienced something like this, but has there ever been a new F cabin launch similar to SQ or LH 380 with blocking in the F cabin initially, only to open up down the road (and no, I'm not including SQ's fantastic redemption opportunity...)?
Old Oct 11, 2010, 11:06 pm

Originally Posted by johnep1
Erroneous.

I believe that HKG is a hub for NZ. You will likely run into problems if you get an agent that enforces the "rule" that one must fly a the hub's airline into the hub in order to stopover there.
HKG is not the hub for NZ.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.