Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 14, 2013, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Update 08APR2014: Star Alliance Awards must have been booked by March 30, 2014. They are no longer available through US. This thread is mostly useful for historic purposes, and discussing issues such as schedule changes/route changes that affect FTers existing *A awards booked before 3/31/2014.

Discussion on using US miles to book oneworld awards is available here.

If you are looking for discussion on US's new partner awards that use various partners not in oneworld (many of whom are former *A partners), see the devoted thread on using US miles to book NON-oneworld partners here.

------------------------

Update 07JAN14: American Airlines award tickets bookable online on usairways.com or through reservation.

• Award travel must be wholly on American Airlines or a combination of American Airlines and US Airways.
  • American Airlines awards cannot be combined with any of our current partner.
  • American Airlines award travel chart (PDF)

Please see the devoted thread on using US miles to book AA here.
Print Wikipost

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2010, 11:09 pm

Originally Posted by gsforfree
You can book at the same time - just provide the names of the two passengers and inform the agent that each will book from his own DM account.
So does it mean that I will have a single reservation code and pay taxes using ONE credit card?
Old Oct 5, 2010, 11:31 pm
AHO

Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (Android; Opera Mini/5.1.21126/20.2485; U; en) Presto/2.5.25)

Originally Posted by DimK
Originally Posted by gsforfree
You can book at the same time - just provide the names of the two passengers and inform the agent that each will book from his own DM account.
So does it mean that I will have a single reservation code and pay taxes using ONE credit card?
No, you'll have two reservation codes.

Last edited by AHO; Oct 5, 2010 at 11:35 pm
Old Oct 5, 2010, 11:41 pm

Originally Posted by AHO
Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (Android; Opera Mini/5.1.21126/20.2485; U; en) Presto/2.5.25)

No, you'll have two reservation codes.
I was asking about a SINGLE reservation code. Is it not possible in this case?
In case of 2 codes is there a chance 1 of them gets ticketed and the other doesn't for some reason?
Old Oct 5, 2010, 11:55 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, DL Platinum, AFKL Gold, Qatar Gold
In case of 2 codes is there a chance 1 of them gets ticketed and the other doesn't for some reason?
Yes you can don't worry.
Old Oct 6, 2010, 12:00 am

Programs: Too many to list. Status is a half dozen.
Originally Posted by thyeri
Yes you can don't worry.
Do you know from experience? Unless it's just agent roulette at play, I was under the impression it has to be two PNR's if the miles are coming from two accounts. Have been told so by a Plat line agent.
Old Oct 6, 2010, 1:30 am

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Well, the order was specified by the OP as ATL then FRA then PVG. I agree with you that having the European layover FIRST is the way to go myself, to make it less likely that the US agent will blanch (though hearing some of the wacky itineraries in this thread, and considering that DME-FRA-PVG is 40,000 in F (!), maybe you could pass it off).

So, alternately:

DME-FRA(stop)-ATL(dest)-(star hub in the US)-NRT/ICN/SIN/BKK/PEK/whatever-PVG-(stuff to get back to)-DME. Drop everything after PVG.

This would be my ideal scenario, unfortunately I need to be in Atlanta before a European stopover. How likely am I to find an agent willing to book a Europe-Moscow flight via Shanghai? It helps my cause that they are in the same region, but its still a very out of the way routing. I would just call but am currently in Asia, so calling can be a pain.

Basically it boils down to...

Moscow-Atlanta (via anywhere)-Europe (stop)-Shanghai.

Im thinking I might have to book two separate awards but would love to see if I could do it within the North Asia- North America reward category.
Thanks for all the responses
fw
Old Oct 6, 2010, 2:05 am

Hey,
is this routing possible?
Ideally I'd like to combine South America and LAX/SFO, starting point would be MUC (preferred) or FRA.
I need to get to LAX in any case.
I found availability in January for FRA to EZE (preferred) or MUC to GRU, should this be the stopover or the final destination?

so far i found availability for MUC-GRU-IAD or IAH-LAX-MUC, is this possible for 130k in F ?

Thanks
Old Oct 6, 2010, 4:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Originally Posted by ArizonaGuy
Do you know from experience? Unless it's just agent roulette at play, I was under the impression it has to be two PNR's if the miles are coming from two accounts. Have been told so by a Plat line agent.
Two mileage accounts = 2 PNRs.

No problem to use the same credit card, and no reason to worry about this being a problem really..
Old Oct 6, 2010, 5:41 am

Programs: *G, SPG, OW Sapphire
Originally Posted by gleff
Two mileage accounts = 2 PNRs.

No problem to use the same credit card, and no reason to worry about this being a problem really..
Yup, I had a similar experience recently...put 2 tickets on hold and paid with miles from 2 accounts, thus, 2 PNRs. Gleff, in your experience, can you later ask them to combine these PNRs into 1?
Old Oct 6, 2010, 6:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Originally Posted by johndeere19
Yup, I had a similar experience recently...put 2 tickets on hold and paid with miles from 2 accounts, thus, 2 PNRs. Gleff, in your experience, can you later ask them to combine these PNRs into 1?
Can you ask? Sure

Can they do it? No
Old Oct 6, 2010, 7:45 am

Programs: Nothing shiny :-(
You can put two flights on hold (best under two separate references otherwise they will need to split the reference before booking) to make sure nothing nasty happens whilst the first is being ticketed.
Old Oct 6, 2010, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
I would just call but am currently in Asia, so calling can be a pain.
At this point, I would just plan out the itinerary using the ANA tool and once that's done, bite the bullet and call.
Old Oct 6, 2010, 10:16 am

Programs: UA, AA, AS, SPG.
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9650/5.0.0.699 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

There is really absolutely no point / benefit for having both tickets on 1 PNR for an award trip. The only benefit for 2 tix on 1 PNR is for US domestic flights to upgrade a companion.
Old Oct 6, 2010, 12:10 pm

Is it possible to put an itinerary on hold for 3 days, then release it before it expires and put it on hold for another 3 days immediately after that? Or the agent would just refuse to do it?
Old Oct 6, 2010, 12:14 pm

Programs: UA, AA, AS, SPG.
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9650/5.0.0.699 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Is it possible to put an itinerary on hold for 3 days, then release it before it expires and put it on hold for another 3 days immediately after that? Or the agent would just refuse to do it?
Do not release it. I have had agents willing to re-extend the 3 day hold especially if any change has been made to the itin.

Do NOT allow them to release the seats as there is no guarantee they will be re-added to award availability.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.