Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A Warning Regarding Targeted Promotions

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2002, 9:30 am

Programs: SPG Plat, USairways Plat, Avis First
I think I am one of many lurkers that frequently visit these boards but very rarely post. Yet this recent bonus code debacle is enough to warrant a reply.

Before I started visiting Flyertalk, I spread all my travel around on a few different airlines. But thanks to all that I've learned here, I started flying US almost exclusively and doing my best to maximize the miles and status I could get in return. In the past six months, my wife and I have flown about 30 segs each. I have gotten bonus miles from online booking, mci service, a boa platinum card, and other partner offers--and, oh yes, from a bunch of bonus code offers. We're both Gold on the verge of become CP.

I'd guess we've spent $6,000-8,000 on US tix this year and turned at least 10 friends or family on the joys of getting out more. I can see why US might want to modify its systems going forward to curb perceived abuses, but the airline should be aware that its policys helped motivate me to become a devoted customer, brought a signigicant sum of money into the US coffers, and yielded a number of word-of-mouth referrals. And now US wants to retroactivly punish me and people like me for all that support? Perhaps they don't realize that the GOM programs actually do inspire customers to get out more?

I need to book several trip in the next few days. Should I really give US the business?
Old Oct 16, 2002, 9:37 am

Programs: AA LTG EXP, HH Diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Idowrite:
I need to book several trip in the next few days. Should I really give US the business?</font>

Wait and see if they come to their senses, if they don't indicate they have come to their senses before you have to book, book someone else and fax US a copy and tell them why. Make sure you tell all your friends to stop as well.
Old Oct 16, 2002, 10:03 am

The pig squealing I hear is from a bunch of crooks who have consistently tried to beat the system, and are now being called on it. All the self-serving justifications aside, if you got when you shouldn't have, then give it back. Sharing targeted codes IS fraudulent; just because it is easy for you to do don't make it right. This gimmee gimmee mentality is way, way out of control.
Old Oct 16, 2002, 10:16 am

Programs: UA *G MM
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by aks0516:
The pig squealing I hear is from a bunch of crooks who have consistently tried to beat the system, and are now being called on it. All the self-serving justifications aside, if you got when you shouldn't have, then give it back. Sharing targeted codes IS fraudulent; just because it is easy for you to do don't make it right. This gimmee gimmee mentality is way, way out of control.</font>
Well this "thief" has some honor. I didn't sign up for the gay or AARP bonus. Amex, HH and AAA -- well, I am customers o why not?

Actually before I found FT I once called about a written promotion addressed to my wife and they gladly signed me up.

Fraud is a strong and incorrect word for this scenario....... US could have turned down the promotion requests that were submitted. Again, they should fix the system and move on........

Old Oct 16, 2002, 10:20 am

Programs: UA 2P, AA LT Gold, Marriott LT Titanium
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by TomBascom:
Didn't CO have an issue like this a year or so ago? Anyone know how they resolved it?

</font>
Anybody know the answer to Tom's question?

Old Oct 16, 2002, 10:58 am

Programs: US CP, HH Diamond, 6C Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by flyertalk: (quoting US Airways Dividend Miles)

...Targeted promotions that are sent to Dividend Miles members or our partners via e-mail or direct mail, which generally require registration, cannot be earned by anyone except the original recipient of the e-mail or direct mail program...In addition, some members have registered for multiple promotions for which they were not targeted to earn extra miles or benefits...the terms and conditions of those promotions...state that the offers are not combinable with other offers... </font>
It's good that I'm slack at emptying my "deleted" messages folder - I found my August DM e-statement, which might further add to the discussion about whether US accepted my "offer" to register for these (multiple) overlapping bonuses or perhaps even "targeted" me...I received this statement AFTER signing up for GOM and 4/8/12 bonuses...I'll quote the good part:

"TABLE OF CONTENTS:
- Up to 20K Miles Toward Your Preferred Status
- Double Miles Toward Your Preferred Status

UP TO 20K MILES TOWARD YOUR PREFERRED STATUS

Earn 4,000 bonus miles after 4 segments, 6,000 bonus miles after 8 segments and 10,000 bonus miles after 12 segments for a total of 20,000 bonus miles. Plus, your bonus miles will count toward earning 2003 Preferred status. You've already registered yourself for this offer, which is valid through October 31, 2002. Purchase your tickets at http://www.usairways.com , by calling US Airways Reservations or your travel agent.

DOUBLE MILES TOWARD YOUR PREFERRED STATUS

Earn DOUBLE MILES on every flight you take on US Airways and the US Airways Express carriers through October 31, 2002. Plus, your bonus miles will count toward earning 2003 Preferred status. You've already registered yourself for this offer. Purchase your tickets at http://www.usairways.com , by calling US Airways Reservations or your travel agent...."

Old Oct 16, 2002, 10:59 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by aks0516:
The pig squealing I hear is from a bunch of crooks who have consistently tried to beat the system, and are now being called on it. All the self-serving justifications aside, if you got when you shouldn't have, then give it back. Sharing targeted codes IS fraudulent; just because it is easy for you to do don't make it right. This gimmee gimmee mentality is way, way out of control.</font>
It's not gimmee gimmee when I have booked thousands of dollars of business on US.

[This message has been edited by nawlinsdoc (edited 10-16-2002).]
Old Oct 16, 2002, 11:00 am

Sharing targeted codes IS fraudulent.</font>
No its called "word of mouth advertizing".

There is nothing "gimmme gimmme" about this, US is not offering to return the lost time time we spent flying connections through PIT we didnt have to, or the revenue that they received solely becuase of the fact that they were permiting people to sign up for the bonuses something which they had been doing for years, they were aware of this, they permited it, they gained revenue becuase of it. We altered our travel plans past, present and future because of this.

The people who are exibiting poor behavior are those at US who want us to give them our money and be happy while fail to live up to their half of the deal.
Old Oct 16, 2002, 11:05 am

How exactly is it stealing when I am PAYING them LOTS of $$$$ to fly. If they didn't want to sign me up for the promotional codes, fine, don't sign me up. Tell me I wasn't in the target group. Tell me they are trying to drive business from certain kinds of customers. I understand from a sales and marketing perspective why you would do that. I also understand that (USUALLY) these types of marketing activities have budgets associated with them to judge investment vs. revenue generated to determine whether or not a promotion worked. I also understand that someone that was running these programs would want to see lots of people sign up and pay out the awards because that would indicate that their promotion worked and they were doing a good job.
But to allow someone to sign up, accept their $$$$ for the flights, give the awards and THEN tell me I am "beating the system" is simply wrong. While I realize you probably work for U and dislike all of us that actually read all of the fine print and use the system to our advantage it may seem like we are taking advantage. But as very good and loyal customers we are simply taking what was given to us. Nothing more, nothing less. Fraud is defined as intentional deception (misrepresentation or concealment of information in order to deceive or mislead). I did not sign up under a false name, I did not lie to get put on the promotional codes I used, I did not in any way misrepresent my intentions.
Old Oct 16, 2002, 11:08 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by JL-327:
I received this statement AFTER signing up for GOM and 4/8/12 bonuses...I'll quote the good part:

You've already registered yourself for this offer, which is valid through October 31, 2002

You've already registered yourself for this offer
</font>
This would appear to be evidence of deliberate behavior on the part of US to

a) allow registration for codes that they did not send you.

b) ignore the "not valid with other..." clause.

Old Oct 16, 2002, 11:14 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by chexfan:
was I the only one who listened to geo??? </font>
Probably ...
Old Oct 16, 2002, 11:31 am

Location: Commuting around the mid-atlantic and rust-belt on any number of RJs
Programs: TSA Random Selectee Platinum, * Gold, SPG/HH/MR mid-tier, and a tiny bag of pretzels.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by JL-327:
It's good that I'm slack at emptying my "deleted" messages folder - I found my August DM e-statement, which might further add to the discussion about whether US accepted my "offer" to register for these (multiple) overlapping bonuses or perhaps even "targeted" me...I received this statement AFTER signing up for GOM and 4/8/12 bonuses...I'll quote the good part:
</font>
Thank you for that reminder. I just found that, in fact, US sent me a very similar thing in my August statement.

Note that it said nothing about "fradulent" promo codes or the like, but acknowledges my participation in said offers, and encourages me to buy--"Purchase your tickets at http://www.usairways.com , by calling US Airways Reservations or your travel agent."

Offer, acceptance, consideration, performance. I smell an implied contract.

------------------
Saving the world, one clue at a time.
Old Oct 16, 2002, 11:40 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, SW A-List Preferred
Here's the BK info:

Hon. Judge Stephen Mitchell
U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
P.O. Box 19247
Alexandria, VA 22320-0247

Reference Case No. 02-83985

cc:
Scott L. Hazan
Otterbourg Steindler Houston & Rosen PC
230 Park Avenue
New York, NY 10169-0075
(Counsel to the Official Committee of Unsecured Trade Creditors)
Old Oct 16, 2002, 11:47 am

Programs: DM Silver

Everyone please ignore this rather obvious troll.
Old Oct 16, 2002, 12:32 pm

Programs: UA 2P, AA LT Gold, Marriott LT Titanium
It's good that I'm slack at emptying my "deleted" messages folder - I found my August DM e-statement, which might further add to the discussion about whether US accepted my "offer" to register for these (multiple) overlapping bonuses or perhaps even "targeted" me...I received this statement AFTER signing up for GOM and 4/8/12 bonuses...
</font>
You're brilliant, buddy. Found my email which also noted I had signed up for 4xGOM and Amex Tier - and asked me to sign up for the 5000 mile transcon! This could be powerful evidence that they knew we were signed up for multiple bonuses and then went on to "induce" us to buy tickets!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.