FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - A Warning Regarding Targeted Promotions
View Single Post
Old Oct 16, 2002, 9:30 am
Idowrite

Programs: SPG Plat, USairways Plat, Avis First
I think I am one of many lurkers that frequently visit these boards but very rarely post. Yet this recent bonus code debacle is enough to warrant a reply.

Before I started visiting Flyertalk, I spread all my travel around on a few different airlines. But thanks to all that I've learned here, I started flying US almost exclusively and doing my best to maximize the miles and status I could get in return. In the past six months, my wife and I have flown about 30 segs each. I have gotten bonus miles from online booking, mci service, a boa platinum card, and other partner offers--and, oh yes, from a bunch of bonus code offers. We're both Gold on the verge of become CP.

I'd guess we've spent $6,000-8,000 on US tix this year and turned at least 10 friends or family on the joys of getting out more. I can see why US might want to modify its systems going forward to curb perceived abuses, but the airline should be aware that its policys helped motivate me to become a devoted customer, brought a signigicant sum of money into the US coffers, and yielded a number of word-of-mouth referrals. And now US wants to retroactivly punish me and people like me for all that support? Perhaps they don't realize that the GOM programs actually do inspire customers to get out more?

I need to book several trip in the next few days. Should I really give US the business?