Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A Warning Regarding Targeted Promotions

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2002, 10:56 am
Suspended

Location: Promoted to Chairman of the Most Wonderful Continental Airlines Highly Valuable OnePass Program Security and Ideological Purity Bureau
Honestly, I wouldn't breathe a sigh of relief just yet. I'm guessing that the impact on the mile-awarding companies probably ranges in the tens of millions of miles. In other words, the third-party companies who ran some of the promos had to pay US for the additional miles earned by untargeted members.

In the case of CO, it was the AMEX debacle, whereby American Express had to shell out extra $$$ for the "lunar" trips to Hong Kong, that forced CO to do a switch to "fully" targeted promos.

------------------
Thank you for choosing Continental Airlines, a proud member of the SkyTeam Alliance.
Old Nov 1, 2002, 10:56 am

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
Also noteworthy, UA doesn't allow you to earn bonus miles through targeted promos for which you were not the targeted party. Why can't US have the same technology in place to prevent this from ever happening in the first place?
Old Nov 1, 2002, 11:11 am

Programs: lots
SFO 1K, I think they will in the future. US finally learned from their mistake, just as I was getting out more and more.
Old Nov 4, 2002, 2:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

SFO 1K...exactly what I wrote on page 5 of this thread:
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">If a non-invitee tries to manually register using the targeted promo code [with United], they get a message saying sorry, they are not eligible.</font>
Old Nov 5, 2002, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL GM, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat
What a great airline! Starwood could learn some things from these guys

[This message has been edited by skofarrell (edited 11-05-2002).]
Old Nov 5, 2002, 10:58 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by skofarrell:
What a great airline! Starwood could learn some things from these guys </font>
Hey, that's not what you said before!
Old Nov 5, 2002, 12:07 pm

Programs: UA *G MM
I am not going to say which one but one of the recent city-specific promos posted for me last week.
Old Nov 5, 2002, 6:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL GM, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by nawlinsdoc:
Hey, that's not what you said before! </font>
Edited out what was already posted (and I missed) on page 5 or 6!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.